Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

Lol, we got the chest :wink:

1 Like

My partner just creamed me in a game of Tiny Towns.

The blue green buildings are houses and the yellow ones churches.

Rules explanations:

the the small green blue cottages are “unfed” because there is no red feeding building (eg a farm) in town

I feel like this game does that Suburbia -implicit story through mechanic thing well.

4 Likes

I love Tiny Towns - so simple at first glance but so deceptively cruel!!

1 Like

In addition to Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and Coup, we played Uno today. It’s a bad game, but it was a casual group and at least people were amused by how long it was taking (we played with house rules that made it longer). But the person who brought it helped me out when I really needed it. People first, games second.

2 Likes

Played another game of Blue Lagoon. It’s always satisfying on how youre running out of tokens and the remaining ones are exactly enough to achieve your goals. This remains perhaps the best abstract game in my collection and the colourful polynesian theme is so nice to look at and it is approachable to everyone. It’s like a Maths teacher that is glowing and funny - yep. Thats Blue Lagoon.

I finally played A Feast For Odin with the Norwegian expansion and oh boy, people are right. I really like this one better. I thought the tighter board would make it ruthless like Agricola, but no, it’s still as breezy as the base, but I find it more challenging. Getting meat (red tiles) isnt easy any more. Getting animals is easier (I think).
Yes. I dont think I would want to go back to the base board any more.

Played Villagers, as I received it from Kickstarter last week. It’s an open card drafting game where villagers are like a tech tree. E.g. you need a lumberjack before you can play a carpenter. It’s pretty quick, so I didnt get the full taste of it, but I like it so far. We’ll see.

Several games of One Night Werewolf to end the session.

2 Likes

My wife and I played our first game of Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective last night. ICYMI, the goal is to solve the case using the fewest number of clues and get a better score than Sherlock, whose default score is always 100 pts. You get 25 points for each successful Main question you answer (who’s the killer? Why did they do it?) and 10 points for each Secondary question you answer (who was so-and-so having an affair with? etc.). Then you subtract 5 points for each “lead” (clue) you follow over the number Sherlock Holmes follows (say, 4). Our final score was 80, which was 120 points for successful answers minus 40 points for “excessive lead-following.”

I thought we did pretty darn well for our first game, and I kind of have to call BS on one lead that Sherlock used… “Holmes scoured the map until he found location X.” If we’d known you could just go over the map until you found the place you were looking for, as opposed to waiting for another lead to show you how to get there, we would have done it right away.

Anyway, we had a pretty good time. It’s a fun, thinky process and I appreciate how ultimately, if you want to get a good score, you have to stop verifying and cross-referencing every single lead you’ve followed (“So-and-so says he was at the XX Tavern the night of the murder, let’s spend another lead and go there to verify!”) and just make a leap of faith. I guess knowing when to do that is the real crux of the game.

1 Like

I got this one on sale at Barnes&Noble last week, and I’m really excited to try it out. But in order to get anyone in my family to play it, I need a sales pitch that’s a little more enticing than “Look! It’s pretty like ‘Moana!’” Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Spoilers.

Holmes is pure BS

3 Likes

While the score is based on the number of locations visited, your group can ignore it and do what you feel is the most fun. If chasing leads to see whether or not it turns up new information is fun for your group, do it.

5 Likes

My wife and I just played out first game of SH:CD this afternoon. Looks and feels beautiful. We were waiting for a ‘eureka’ moment. We didn’t read the scoring until we’d guessed (incorrectly). Very much looking forward to the next case.

1 Like

Oh, of course. I mean, you can ignore the whole “Are we smarter than Sherlock” thing completely, if you want. The only reason to adhere to that rule is to make it more of a challenge.

We also played July of Pandemic Legacy season 1 yesterday. We keep leaving it a couple of months between plays and forget a really basic strategy, need to write a note.

Had some friends over and finished our evening with a few drunken games of One Night Ultimate Werewolf. I do enjoy this, but have yet to find the right group who will both get into it and be happy about lying. Also, my wife can always tell when I’m lying which really doesn’t help.

I love the idea of social deduction but it’s so dependent on who you play with.

I’m interested if it becomes easier the more you play it. Will the writing style allow you to identify suspects more easily?

I found we became more used to what the game expected of us. The first case of West End Adventures(?) I thought I had nailed down but when the questions came I realised I hadn’t considered what I might be asked.

1 Like

I suspect that learning the conventions of the game (as in “if someone misspells a name in a note, creating an ambiguous lead, should you ignore it or pursue it? Oh, turns out the answer is PURSUE”) will make the game easier, but the fact that playing the game in chronological order will cause you to accumulate more and more information you have to sift through will balance it out. But, given that this was our first play, you can take my suspicions at exactly their face value, which is very little.

1 Like

More tiny towns chit chat.

So we tried the “town hall” variant - where 2 out of 3 materials are random. (As a thought the reccomendation is to draw out five cards face down and every third draw ask everyone to choose but I found just leaving all the cards in and keeping it upside down works well too. The former makes shuffling afterwards easier, the latter helps keep count).

Anyway we found the mode ice cold boring. being a slight meanie when possible is a nice condiment to the game in the normal rules. Having said that the idea of meanness is more likely in the two player game.

So our Dads are wrong. AGAIN. :joy::joy::joy:

Uuhhh… I think the Moana line is the best I could think of. With gamers, I say “look! It’s by Reiner Knizia”

1 Like

I just recently got my pledge for Batman Gotham City Chronicles so my friends and I had a game night, ended up mainly just being a prep night as the scenario set up was a bit more involved than I anticipated.

It has some very cool mechanics and if you like Conan a lot of what made that game great seems to be back, there are an exceptional number of logos that each have specific meanings however and the printable player aids (available on the official website) are honestly a must have, wish they had been included in the box.

Also the mini’s are absolutely gorgeous, thick matte plastic that have a great weight, some of the thinner pieces are a bit fragile feeling but with a game like this you almost want them to serve more as show pieces than components.

3 Likes

Not much gaming this past weekend, as we spent a shocking amount of time outside walking the dogs, or inside with wine.

That said, we did get in a game of Fox in the Forest Saturday night. I was leading until the last hand, but my gf was able to win only 3 tricks, making me greedy! She took the win!

Sunday I had another solo attempt at Too Many Bones. I lost badly. The game is extremely hard solo. I don’t really care for solo gaming, but with all of the moving parts, I really want to get the basics down before introducing it to my son or gf.

Tonight we had a pleasant game of Quests of Valeria. I was thoroughly crushed, 27 to 20. It was great! :grinning:

1 Like