Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

Another game of Skull King - a trick taking game that is basically a nerdy version of Oh Hell (check out SUSD’s Card Games That Don’t Suck episode of it.) And one of my friends claimed that he is a “Master Tactician”. He ended with the only one with negative points! This is why you brag AFTER you win haha!

Played the Estates again after a new found likeness to it and last night’s game was a riot. I am surprised on the simplicity of it that I showed it to my friends who are more into lighter things and they really enjoyed it. It’s okay. You can stay.

We ended with a game of Secret Hitler.

Weight and Preferences compared to Ra and Modern Art?

Office board game night last night. Only light attendance unfortunately. But we first played Quadropolis, which was new to me. The friend who brought it hadn’t played it in a couple of years, but had kept all the scoresheets from previous playthroughs. Miraculously, I not only won, but set the high score in the sheet. The tile pickup and placement mechanism is neat, though, and I like the way it becomes so rapidly constraining. Like a sort of Tetris fever dream. Really enjoyed it, and almost feel bad at the thought of subjecting loved ones to the slow burn madness there.

And then we played a game of (looking up the spelling for like the 5th time in 12 hours) Sagrada. They told me when we broke it out that it was one of the super popular games of last year or 2017 or something but I have to say I’d never heard of it. It’s pretty enough and I like the theme, but it felt sort of bland, really. I won this game too which also surprised me, because I really got the feeling that I wasn’t putting in any effort.

I do seem to have discovered a knack for geometric / pattern recognition related games, though. Which is interesting.

That’s a great way of putting it. Railroad Ink is definitely easier and quicker to get into. I’ve had more success with people playing Welcome To, which I think is partly to do with the spacial logic required in Railroad Ink, and partly because it’s a much easier puzzle for some people: whereas the different approaches in Welcome To make it quite unpredictable, it seems that certain people who will always struggle to get a decent score in Railroad Ink, while others will win consistently.

I’ve got both and have no plans to drop either one, but I would usually recommend Welcome To over Railroad Ink. It’s nice to hear a different take on it!

Estates, for me, can sit with the Knizia’s with its simplicity and how engaging it is for its light rule set.

In comparison to the two, I sold off Ra. Didnt like the point saladness of it. I dont feel any interactivity other than the auctioning and checking the others’ bid tokens. Im just bidding for tiles and pushing my luck. It’s good, but not what I want.

Modern Art remains my favourite out of the three. The dynamic scoring is what I love the best about it. The result of the bidding will change on how you view your cards; how you view your opponents’ bids; whether or not you want to primarily buy or sell art; whether you actually let them win on a painting you want or not.

The Estates sits in the middle of Ra and MA. I like how taking over a building doesnt mean you’ll win big points. You are incentivise to cooperated with your friends and compete at the same time. Even winning someone else’s block gives you interesting choices.

But it doesnt have the surprises of MA; because in MA, your hand of cards are hidden. It doesnt have the raising stakes of MA where your Van Gogh painting will worth 10 or zilch in round 1; but in Round 4, a Van Gogh painting could be 100 or nothing.

Also, MA always feels good. Winning a painting feels good. Getting paid by selling paintings feels good. And Estates is just so mean. Seeing someone crestfallen when their tower is taken over doesnt feel good. Putting their blocks on a bad place doesnt feel nice. And Im a mean person!!

The downside of MA, of course, is the random hand, in which you have random number of input on the length of the round - round ends when a 5th painting of an artist is played - what if you dont have a painting of that artist? But that is a minor issue to me. In Estates, only the players’ purse and embezzled funds are hidden. Also, provided you control the money supply, you can end the late-game your way.

P.S. also, I prefer Medici over Ra on push-your-luck. But Im in the minority here.

The guys yesterday were singing the praises of Port Royal as a push your luck game. I haven’t played it (much to my annoyance, as it’s always been on my list).

Excellent response. The dynamic scoring of MA speaks to me. In fact all of this is exactly my suspiscions of how I would feel.

They could put this on the box:

Totally, but visually I think it looks like butt.

Wrapped up a two-lunch game of Viticulture with coworkers. It’s better than Agricola, it’s less interactive than Targi, and like most worker placement games, all I can do is fight for not-last place. Not sure what it is about medium-to-heavyweight euros, but I’m just not good at them. I can play a great, competitive game of Dominion, Catan, Splendor, Targi, Patchwork, Isle of Skye, or Castles of the Mad King Ludwig, but dang - I lose heavier euros quite consistently. Much to the shame of my German heritage.

Anyone else struggle with heavier euros?

I am the guy who does the legwork. I read the manuals, do dry-runs solo to see mechanisms in action, reread the manuals, and teach like a damn boss. I have discovered I am a sponge when it comes to digesting and disseminating rules.

None of that is a consolation prize for how God awful I am at actually playing these things…

The kitchen sponge I’ve wrapped in the Arkwright rulebook still hasn’t helped me learn those rules yet. I may be using the wrong brand of sponge?

Dangit - you just described me. I’m the only one who reads, rehearses, and teaches the rules, and I still suck at it… At least I’m the best loser my family and friends have ever met. :expressionless:

I love Port Royal - I think I need to get it on the table soon, havent played it for ages

Can I join the club??

At least, I get the praises on how good I am on teaching games.

My son and I got in another game of Heroes of Terrinoth tonight. We played the “introductory” scenario The Goblin Problem again, and were successful.

It’s a fairly easy mission, though it was a bit tougher this time. He wanted to play the same one to try out some different things; he chose a different upgrade path, and I used a different class.

Still a few small rules goofs, but that’s not surprising since we first played it 2 weeks ago, and I hadn’t look at the rules since. I think we’ll give it another go this weekend, but try another Adventure.

I think us 3 need to play a worker placement Euro together, although we may interupt the time space continuum by all simultaneously losing.

If you have the funds (and if you like Modernist painters - e.g. Manet, Klimt, Van Gogh - more than the contemporary ones from the CMON version), then the Korean version is pretty good. They aren’t the tarot-size cards like with the CMON edition, but they are hella fine. Try looking around for other editions if you can. Because art is subjective. Life is meaningless.

What if we played Archipelago? It’s worker placement and all the players can lose together within the rules.

My friends have started a heavy game group where we decide the game ahead of time and everyone must read the manual to attend. It has been a REVELATION!

It’s a given some little things may slip up, but generally everyone digests the rulebook differently so it’s much easier to identify any errors as and when they happen.

This is the ingredient Quinns missed when he tried to play Virgin Queen