Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

It wouldn’t surprise me if after Season 2, my group just buys season 1 again. There are other legacy games we may try out, but if Season 1 is the best then I think we might try it again.

Just been round our friends house tonight. Took my wife who is a ‘games are for more than two type’ of person. Said friends have Carcassonne, Codenames etc. so into the lighter stuff. Played Ticket to Ride (despite playing Carc, Catan, Resistance and One Night Ultimate Werewolf) they had never played. Forgot how much I liked it. Followed up with Quacks of Quedlinburg which was the most calculated game of it I’ve ever seen. Didn’t win either game but good company and boardgames won!

Last night my wife and I broke out Concordia, which had not hit the table in a while. I managed to pull off a pretty decent win, about 20 points ahead. Helped that I got all my houses out while she still had five left. Such a great game, we need to pull it out more often and with more people.

I loved it, but I’m not sure I would return to it. I feel like it was a self contained Experience, like watching a great movie (though I appreciate that some people can rewatch movies and enjoy them as much the second time)

In a departure from our usual weekly plays of Arboretum or The Fox in the Forest for our date night, this week my wife and I played Kingdom Builder - I lost quite badly - so business as usual really :stuck_out_tongue:

Got to sneak into game night of a former coworker who meets with friends once a week at the local board game cafe.
They wanted to play Settlers, but the place didn’t have the expansion for more than 4 players. It would have been interesting to play again after what must be 15 years, but in the end I was glad that we got to play Isle of Skye instead. it was my third game in 6 weeks and I reallised three things:

1. This seems to be a game were you get better rather subconsciously with repeated plays, not formulating big strategies for the next game, but groking the interconnected mechanisms more with each play.
  2. I enjoy and appreciate the design more the more I play it, which is probably tied to 1.
  3. There seems to be a slight runaway leader problem. The game before that, the friend who had the best first round (by a large margin) wasn’t caught until the end, and in this play, the ranking at the end was the same as after the first round (with maybe a swap in places 3 and 4 in a five player game). I managed a tie after being a few points behind the leader for most of the game, but she won on more money.
    This surely had something to do with experience (B who came in last played her first game of this yesterday), and novice players not using their monetary advantage sufficiently, but I don’t think that was the only reason. It just seems hard to catch up with someone who manages to get the best tiles for ratings A/B.
    Until now that doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the game, but it’s something I’ll keep an eye on on subsequent plays.

Also, very pleasant company making for an enjoyable game night.

We got in two games of Mysterium last night, prompted by people playing it on here. I’d forgotten what a joy it is. Both times two of us were down to the final round guessing the weapon; real pressure on the ghost.

We use a house rule I picked up on BGG to make the endgame more satisfying (when one psychic gets all 3 correct, the ghost ‘remembers’ who the murderer was, takes that token and can start taking cards from hand for the final vision). Not a fan of house rules in general but I think this helps the game play and the theme.

Ross of More Games Please was posting some decent Mysterium photos last night as well.

This week I played Spirit Island for the first time with my new(ish) game group, a three-person game on what I assume was the easiest “difficulty setting.” I will note that the whimsical, sunny, tropical art style belies the fact that it’s a pretty long, thinky, and complicated game. Based on one play, as a newb, I can shakily predict that players should be prepared for 1.5 hours minimum. Our game was closer to three hours than two.
I enjoyed the experience and would definitely like to play it again. I can see that there is a lot of variety possible in how the game can unfold, depending on which Spirits you and others choose to play, the power cards you draft and so on. And of course, it’s a co-op game, which is good in many ways but led to very, very long discussions before anyone made a move… I think it was worse than Pandemic or Gloomhaven in that regard. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy co-op games, but if each move takes 5-10 minutes of discussion then it can really bog things down. I suppose it’s possible that 2/3 of us being new players made the game even longer than usual. in my usual game group of old friends there’s one guy who will endlessly litigate rules interpretations and co-op strategies, and if I were to play the game with him I could very easily see it stretching to 3+ hours.

Anyway, I think that the basic quality of the game and the fun things you get to do would probably compensate for the excessive length and fiddliness of it, but I’d have to play it again with a better understanding to find out for sure.

Did another D&D one-shot at my favourite games cafe today. It may have been my favourite session ever.

I was playing a drow warlock who had gained a celestial patron and was therefore trying her hardest to be a good person. Also in the party was a half-orc barbarian, a forest gnome rogue, and The Bug Druid™ (a druid entirely themed around bug-based spells and turning into bugs).

I won’t write out the whole session, just the best bit:

Babies had been going missing in this village. Two were gone already and we’d been hired to protect the last one. On the first night, we just about managed to protect the baby from some (mostly unseen) magical creature that came after it.

So, after doing some investigating, we set a trap the next night. So when the creature came and again it seemed to only be the half-orc in the room guarding the baby, they grabbed for it.

But it was just an illusion cast by the gnome. Instead, they had the druid in the form of a giant centipede. And she was also holding a jar full of normal centipedes.

Funnily enough, taking a glass jar to the face, followed by several poisonous centipede bites, a giant centipede bite, and a crit from the half-orc, is more than enough to put down what turned out to be a hag.

My character, who was disguised as the baby’s mother, didn’t even have time to “wake up” :laughing:

I think trusting teammates and oneself to implement worthwhile decisions and identify those places where discussion is most valuable does away with excessive debate. Greater synery is required at harder levels but knowledge of the full gamut of spirits and powers makes this easier.

A bit surprisingly we were able to get Viticulture EE to the table for the first time last night (my gf didn’t want to wait until Sunday morning, because playing the game without wine seems wrong).

The teaching and playing, the game went fairly long. I had only read the rules once, so we watched the Watch it Played to help out.

Overall it was a good experience, and my gf really enjoyed it. We just need more plays to get comfortable with it, and cut down the playtime.

We’ve just got home from Rulescon in Cardiff. Played…

Kemet, bit too harsh for the kids, especially the younger (10). Glad to have played it but, like Inis wouldn’t buy because wouldn’t get it to the table with the family.

Railroad Ink (red box). Really enjoyed as a filler before some lunch. Pens were too thick for my awful drawing and writing. Want to play Welcome to before considering a purchase.

Sagrada. Another from my want to play list (so handy to have this con locally). Similar to Azul for me, enjoyed but question the replayability.

In amongst that, a learn to play D&D session, run by a very patient volunteer GM. Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, kids loved it. Youngest got the starter box for his birthday, which has been on the shelf because I was scared of it! Going to get a bit more action I think.

Overall a grand day. Kids were free, so £16 iirc to play 4 games we don’t own that were on the list.

Has anyone else played res arcana? I bought it because of the insert. Fortunately there’s a bit of a judge a book by its cover* thing going on and it’s actually a fantastic game.

We’ve played only in two player with a hampered copy of the game - I’m missing five cards out of a set of ten that make up every game - but even still the quality of the game is really cool. It’s a tableau/engine game in which you are given 8 cards at random and a choice of two cards as your main power. The game is then: use what you’ve got and try and get ten points first. you have to look really work out - okay what’s the linkage in this set that will allow any sort of efficiency and then drive towards that. The low amount of cards and forced contortions are really the meat of the game. I think you can play a draft which adds more skill but I think this really goes against the spirit (or at least the soul) of the game to an extent. I really like it.

*the adage doesn’t hold true according to someone i chatted to a long time ago who works in books - iirc-. The thing is a good investment on a shiny cover is based on how much faith they have on the content. Crap book = generally we ain’t wasting good money for a cover on this crap.

I did. I embarassed myself by ranting over it in this thread. :joy: It’s a great game but… ugh.

Ah I saw your review. I don’t ever envisage playing with drafting and maybe that will help. I think you’re right in that this idea that each person secretly constructing a deck will create secretly wildly different levels that render the rest of the game moot.

Oh boy, six days of Tabletop gaming in the last fortnight and all of it was excellent. Biggest highlight was probably a day of Journeys Through Middle Earth, which was excellent. We originally planned to play an hour to learn the rules but we all had such a good time that we just kept going. Having played Mansions of Madness and Arkham Horror, everything felt familiar but improved. The app was solid, the gameplay smooth, turns went quickly so no-one was left waiting and the card play system is great fun.

A day each of L5R RPG and D&D 5e, both of which were excellent as always. Half our party was killed in D&D in a brutal battle, but we’re playing through Mad Mage so deaths are not unexpected if we’re careless (we were).

A day of Gloomhaven saw us working through our various side missions, having finished the main campaign long ago. We still love playing though, even 250+ hours in. Bring on the expansion!

Finally, a number of regular games - a first play of Underwater Cities, Gizmos and Welcome To, as well as familiar favourites like Railroad Ink, Flamme Rouge and Shogun. All great games!

Phew! Back to work today though :sob:

We had a really fine Sunday afternoon!

We played Evolution. I had a very confusing and chaotic first game of it with 6 players, only the owner knows the game’s rules. Then I played it this time with 3 players and it was unforgiving and tense. We went super defensive herbivores, but plant food starts to run out so we adapt to carnivores with good attack traits and it was great. I love it. I’m surprising that it’s not yet another run-of-the-mill Euro-game about being efficient. Rather a game about being adaptive to the changing state of the game by analysing the game state and the players. I’m sad that the kickstarter for Evolution: Oceans is done, but my friend backed it so I can piggyback on his pledge manager!

San Francisco: Cable Car is basically Tsuro with stock-shares. Didn’t enjoyed it that much. I was more focused on how to place my own tile (because you’re NOT allowed to place the tile on a different orientation!) rather than how to sabotage my opponents and help my own. I’d rather just pull out Chicago Express for this kind of thing.

I still love the theme and story-telling of Dead of Winter, despite knowing its gameplay flaws. I kept this game the same reason why Quinns still keeps his Black Gold. I even introduced a house rule where I give each player a random set of 2 cards. Each set has 2 objectives: either 2 normal ones or 2 betrayer cards. This gives them options on which one they want to take, reducing the bad effects of randomness.

Last night we played a couple of quick games.

First up was Tides of Madness a 2 player drafting game. I lost again, lol.

We followed that up with 2 games of Fairy Tale. I won the first, but lost the second. It had been awhile since this one hit the table, but I still really enjoy it.

Played a game of Lords of Waterdeep this weekend with my wife and brother-in-law. It was very high scoring as we did not do much to get in each other’s way of earning VP (no Mandatory Quests or hate placement, etc.). We were all really close in scores before we added in the points for our Lords, with me leading at 174, to BiL’s 169, with my wife just behind at 168. My wife managed to accomplish nine quests for her Lord, bringing her to 204. BiL was the builder, so got 6 points for every building he owned, which was all 9, so with 54 more points, he got to 223. I managed twelve quests for my Lord, and with 44 more points, bringing me to 222! Just short of the win.

My son and I got in a game of My Little Scythe. I’m actually enjoying it more with subsequent plays, to the point I’m considering grabbing Scythe. He seems interested as well (especially once I mentioned the mechs! :smile:).