Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

Went away with friends to a cottage in the country to spend it gaming and had a wonderful time. We played:

The Mind: We played it four handed with two being introduced to it. We had two attempts and got to level 6 on the last attempt. It went down a storm (especially with lots of wine). It’s such a great icebreaker/party game/team builder. I get why there’s a lot of resistance against it on BGG, but still - it really is a unique emotional experience and that’s what I love about games.

Love Letter: My wife and I had never played it so we played it two handed first to get the feel of the game and it felt very mechanical with little room to move, but then played with four and it jumped to life.

Concordia: This was our big game of the weekend and, with four players and a the teach, it took way over 2 hours to play it, but I think we converted the two new comers to it.

My son and I had a quick game of Tiny Epic Defenders tonight before bed. We fought the dragon, and were one hit away before weflipped a card that hit two destroyed locations, and no way to stop both. The city crumbled before us, and all we could was watch and weep.

I played Root with board game savant and another friend who I don’t have an anonymous nickname for. He likes cats and is virtuous, so I might call him Virtuous Cat Friend. Let’s go with that.

So, Root!

We messed up a rule. The rule we messed up was when an enemy unit was removed in battle, you gain a VP. The rule in fact was, if you remove an enemy token you gain a VP. I was playing as the birds, so naturally every turn I have to attack someone. It seemed unfair that he would get points by me playing the faction the way it was supposed to. And because it was Virtuous Cat Friend who was playing the cats (see what we did there), he was racing away with the points. I kept asking questions such as “If I lose a bunch of VP when I get humiliated, how do the cat people lose points?”. I dropped one of those cards that requires 10 VP and grants a victory condition (hold 3 suited spaces for a whole round) which gave the game impetus. We realised a bit late about the rule change and it was too late to reset.

Initial thoughts - well, we messed it up substantially, which affected the game experience, however, the art and meeples were wonderful, so we’ve decided to definitely give it another shot.

(For all who have played it, I was humiliated with 10 cards in the decree. Is this normal?)

10 cards, or 10 bird cards? You only lose points for birds. If it was 10 birds, I’d say definitely not normal.

10 cards. I think I had 5 bird cards and 5 non-bird cards. Also, those 10 cards included my trusty viziers.

Then that sounds about right. If you get to that sort of position and avoid turmoil, you probably win. Even with turmoil. you normally stand to gain more next round than you lost this round. But either way, the game’s close to finishing at that point I’d guess. [Disclaimer: I’m not a massive expert on this!]

Back in January, I played Wingspan fell absolutely in love with it. What a great game.

This past Sunday, I played the new Azul game (Stained Glass of Sintra) and my first ever play of Yokohama.

Great games, both of them.

Last night before we went for dinner, my girlfriend and I played Isle of Skye for the first time.

We both really loved it but could see the game getting far better with 3,4 or 5 players.

With two players, my wife and I do only one round of scoring everything at the very end, so nobody feels like they’re so far behind they can’t win. It also speeds the game up considerably.

This isn’t an issue in Ticket to Ride or Castles of the Mad King Ludwig because there is a heavier dose of secret end game scoring, so you just can’t tell. With Isle of Skye, you can just look at someone else’s land and score it in your head and know you can’t win.

Yeah, my biggest complaint about playing 2 player is that the catch-up mechanism is pretty feeble. Maybe try doubling it?

I finally ran a successful mission in Nemo’s War, first using his Anti-Imperialism motive. Man, does this game make you work for glory! At a score of 259, the game tells me I managed to make a dent on naval trade and transit, but still quickly fade to obscurity. It’s ultimately learned that I died on some isolated island somewhere (probably lonely and sick of coconuts), laid to rest in the Nautilus, and scuttled.

Anyone know what the rule is when you’re out of (normal) uprising cubes? My finale was the bottom card and my last turn was a potentially juicy one, maxed out on AP. I could have probably eked out a triumph if I was allowed to incite more (even had a card in hand for 3 free uprisings).

I played 3-player Teotihuacan and Reykholt last night.

Teotihuacan was interesting. At the end of the first eclipse I had 66 points, due to a building strategy. I bought tech tiles that got me an extra resource, and one less resource to build a pyramid tile. In the second eclipse, I got the tech that allows you to advance on any temple track when you place a tile. I chose the resource temple track each time, so always had resources to build. The temple was completed on round 4 of the third eclipse. I had 231 points, my opponents 110 and 120. Discussion happened - is there a counter to that strategy? The suggested introductory set up was used. By the time my opponents realised what I was doing, the masks strategy (too many discovery tiles to make it viable) and the others (city of the dead, decorations) couldn’t keep pace. Is this everyone’s experience?

Reykholt is a joy. Lean, tight and tense. Another strong showing from Uwe. Plays in an hour, too.

Last night my gf and I had our second game of Piepmatz. Depsite thinking she had it in the bag, I took the win 79-78. Both games have been decided by a point!

Our second game of the night was Pandemic The Cure. We cured the black dice disease, but couldn’t stop the tide and lost to a flurry of outbreaks. Those dice be some infections jerks!

Hopefully a few games later today.

Just finished my first game over A Feast For Odin.

I’m hungover and regret this decision to think at all.
The game I can see being a great game with my group, thinking, some good decision making, not too much interference with each other. Which suits me just fine, I love Terraforming Mars as well.

I of course screwed up a few things and kind of ignored a few things. Islands, and the additional buildings I left out of my initial play through. and I thought you needed to leave the income markers on the board uncovered.

I can see this be a bit hit with my group though. they really enjoy the thinky brain burning fun times.

Gloomhaven – of course, we won, no major dramas. Except for the scenario we unlocked an envelope, that had a coded message on it that we have no idea what to do with. After some discreet googling (because we didnt want the answer just to be handed to us), we found that the message has no solution, its something for the expansion. Bit disappointing.

The Quacks of Quedlinburg – was fun. There was no runaway leader this time, it was all relatively close until the last round, when 2 of us went bust, and the winner increased his lead. I had more fun than last time I played, its fun to play with new people. I dont think the bag hated me as much this time around.

Heaven and Ale, first play. You’re supposed to be monks making beer, but I never got that from the game. Ok, you’ve got a production line where your resources and brewmaster move along, but thats about it. In the game, you move around a board, and the round finished when everyone gets back to the starting area. You move to a spot, then do the action for that space. A space can have resources to buy, monks to hire (I guess?), scoring spaces, and barrel spaces. When you get a resource or a monk, you place them on your player board, which is divided into a sunny side, and a shady side. If you put your new disc on the shady side, you pay the normal cost. If you place it on the sunny side, you pay double. You’re trying to surround shed spots, which then allows you to place a shed, and activate the places around it.

It was a good game, scoring is a bit weird. You have to bring all your resouces close together, and then you score for the least advanced resource.

Menara, a bit of cooperative stacking. We played on easy, and it was…really easy? I guess we need to play it at a harder level to make it a bit more interesting.

Ganz Schon Clever

Should be trying my first game of this next week, very much looking forward to it as I was always a fan of the old Games Workshop title Dark Future and it certainly has that vibe!

Had a couple of friends over Friday evening where we introduced them to Azul. I was kid wrangling during the game, but I came out the top scorer. However I was unable to observe our new players scoring and it sounds like one of them, at least, was doing it wrong so she may have had a higher score than was marked. If we play again I hope to be available more to help, but our kids were just really on that night.

I won a 7 Wonders Tournament on Saturday! Decent entry with 18 players, 3 games, and won the first with a big money and lucky guild ‘strat’, and the thrid with big science. Very big science. Couldn’t have asked for a better science score (Actually could have- 2 brick and I’d have scored an extra 12 points, but 43 from science was good enough with my wonder, money and blues).

My prize- Cheating Moth! Which was top prize because I heard about it on the recent podcast* and I was responsible for buying the prizes. I can’t remember laughing as much playing a game as I did playing this.

*I know they played Cheating Bee, but that’s not out yet

Just finished Pandemic Legacy season 1. No spoilers but we won. Then I cried. This has been a brilliant experience, with all three of us pulling wins from defeat. I’m gonna miss this game!

Note: I don’t like the look of season 2…

It’s rare these days that both my wife and I are up for a game at the same time. Between juggling household chores, our 14-month old daughter and full time jobs (I don’t recommend juggling your children unless it happens to be your full time job), even when we do have down time, it’s difficult to commit to additional braining above-and-beyond that which is demanded of us in our daily adulting.

Due to some snow days recently, and seeing how my wife is an elementary/primary school teacher and was able to dispatch some household chores during what would otherwise be working hours, we were able to sit down an play some games.

As always, as a semi-professional gentleman, I let me wife choose a game first and she surprised me by selecting Morels (imperial standard. I believe in metric, it’s Fungi). I knew I really liked the simple design of the game but it had been long enough since we played that I forgot how tormented I feel as I’m forced to make an unrelenting series of choices, watching the mushrooms I desperately want fall atop the Destroying Angels in the decay. Not only does the game offer a clever set collection mechanism but the real crux of the game is in the risk-reward of which mushrooms do you collect? Which do you sell for walking sticks? And, most importantly, do you have enough time to do everything? Categorically: No, you don’t.

So, following my embarrassing defeat at Morels to my wife (56-27), I suggested we play a game of Wingspan. Wingspan is certainly the sleeper hit on my table. I really don’t like birds; I think they’re annoying in just about every format and encounter I’ve ever had with them. My favorite thing about birds is, before Wingspan that is, some of them taste delicious. Alas, boardgames are not food, so I cannot comment on how delicious Wingspan is or is not (it looks scrumptious…)

I really struggled to get an engine going; both of us were able to pull a couple of extra Bonus cards but, at the end, my wife just played consistently better than me and handed me my second loss, 71-66. Sadly, that was all the time we had available that evening (and, really, since then as well).

This past Tuesday, my gaming group returned and I once again played gracious host. Neither of them brought games (my reputation as “Owner of Games” is all but a universal truth at this point). I showed them the games I had recently received (as covered here). Surprisingly, the chose to start with The Estates. I knew that one of my group, we’ll call him B, would strongly dislike the game and yet he was game to give it a try. As I was going through the rules, I pointed out that the winning player is the player with the most points at the end of the game and that meant it could even be somebody with no owned companies; as soon as I mentioned this, the other player (known as) D, immediately reacted, clearly inspired to try to do just that. We began and, sure enough, D avoided ownership in any of the companies, leaving B and myself to split all but Purple (which only had a single block show up in the offering). I made a few tactical blunders (as is my wont) and D ended up in the position of Kingmaker; as his last action, he could either crown B or myself but could not end the game as the victor. In the end, he chose to play in favor of B and the game ended with B in the lead with 10 points, D had only cached 2 points in illegal earnings (for some reason? Had he been embezzling the entire time, he surely would have won). I pulled in a staggering -54 as sort of a “Go Big or Go Home” gamble towards the end…

Despite not enjoying the multi-variable analysis portion of the game, B did say he would play it again sometime; also suggesting that his wife would love it. D, unfortunately, will be moving away in the next couple of weeks and may not have the opportunity to play it again.

After being thoroughly demolished in The Estates, the next game to hit the table was Notre Dame: 10th Anniversary. Both B and I had picked up copies (without talking to each other) when it was on sale, also both picking up In The Year of the Dragon at the same time. Notre Dame outwardly seemed to be better than Castles of Burgundy to me, so I was certainly excited to finally give it a go. Months ago, I had been clever enough to print out player aides which I was glad to find when I opened the box again, which made relearning and teaching the game much easier and for which I was greatly thankful for past-pillbox. After playing Notre Dame, I do think I prefer it to Castles of Burgundy. I love the random card draw for both the action drafting as well as the round-end personalities. This game will have a permanent place in my collection for certain. There was a bit of a learning curve as we all struggled with rat infestations, money problems and, eventually, influence cube limitations (henceforth known as “cube problems” or, if you will, “cublems”). Final scoring put D in first place with 52, B in second with 48 and me coming last with 45; Both D and B played very well and I won’t say they didn’t deserve their scores, but I feel as though my biggest problem was bidding for the Notre Dame points in the first round/phase/whatever and not, instead, building up influence in the hospital to mitigate my rodent problem.

Following The Estates and Notre Dame, we had about 20 minutes left before calling it a night so I pulled out Broom Service: The Card Game. Unfortunately, I had never really read through the rules (apparently) and we stumbled to get the game flow correct at first. I think everybody enjoyed the game but it certainly didn’t replace the full Broom Service game that all 3 of us rather enjoy. We were, all three of us, a little too brave throughout the game and, as such, struggled to meet the recipe cards in the middle. D pulled out another win with 31 points with B trailing me by only a single point for second place, my 18 to his 17. After that, we decided to call it a night before spending another hour or so chit-chatting and, likely, keeping my wife awake.

This coming week represents the last week D will be able to join us before he moves to Colorado, so we will let him choose which games we play… who knows what that’ll be.

We have decided, however, to look into doing Hangouts/Skype/etc roleplaying, so our gaming group will continue even once we are divided by 8 hours of wheat fields and cows.