Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

Played a two-lunch game of Tyrants of the Underdark at work. Adding a board to a deckbuilder is marvelous, and it has a really neat promotion system, where you can score extra victory points per card (especially the powerful ones) if you remove them from your deck.

Unfortunately, I suck at the game. I built a “Jabba the Hutt” deck that was bloated and unwieldy as all get out, and had to score points by forcing others out of different regions because all I could really do was hit people, and this is a game where it’s really hard to force someone out of an area if they’re dug in. It was the Dominion equivalent of drawing 3+ estates / coppers every turn. I had very little control over what I was doing, but I managed to brute force my way to 3rd place out of 4 players, thoughit was a real struggle.

I always describe deckbuilders as trying to build a bike as you ride it. The top 2 players made sleek motorcycles, and I was forced to bludgeon the other guy into submission with my square-wheeled tricycle. It was fun, but I wish I could make something nice once in a while.

Had a mini holiday and played some games. People didn’t really get One Night Ultimate Werewolf which was sad, but the Mind (and Cockroach Poker) were bigger hits.

The Mind was fun and we did get into “The Zone” for a couple of rounds, reaching level 8 after usually tapping out at around round 5. I found it quite relaxing and Zen, whereas others found it mentally taxing, possibly because they were overthinking and trying to count and stuff, which is pointless in so many ways.

But lots of cheers and high 5s when we pulled off a good run and groans and accusations (“That was way too long to play a 60!”) when things went pear shaped. So simple and accessible but so good.

Just as long as you don’t get the people who on BGG say "But what is the point, I mean you just implement a counting system from the start and everyone just plays their cards on the appropriate count and . . . " to which I make a rude farty noise to interrupt and point to the door.

I lost as Nixon in 1960: The Making of the President with 253 electoral votes against 284 for Kennedy. I think it was Kennedy’s move to lock down Ohio and Michigan with the Eisenhower’s Silence card active at the very last round, cost me the election.

The game shares a lot of concepts from Twilight Struggle when I played it. I really like the game but I think I would still prefer TS. TS is tighter when it comes to the player cards where playing an opponent card will have its event be triggered - in 1960, you need to spend a momentum token. TS also allows area-blocking (which is a plus for me), which I find absent in 1960.

What I noticed though is that it’s hard to track the points in 1960 because there’s so many states to add up and it sounds lame at first; but, in the end, I preferred not knowing at all until election day.

How does 1960 feel to play? I really like the looks of it, but all the reviews make it look like a really simple “play cards to push tracks, see who’s won the most points from tracks at the end” kind of game. Is the strategy engaging for repeat plays?

I only have first impressions so far. But it feels like a 2 player zero-sum game of El Grande. I love El Grande for its player interaction and also a portion of unpredictability, despite being mostly open information.

I feel that the game is too loose and too much maths for my taste. You can place cubes anywhere you want, except when:

• you have to spend 1 CP if you cross regions (These are East, Mid West, West, South).
  • a player has 4 cubes in a region, and if you want to place yours, then you make a “support check” a chance game where you hope you take a colour cube of yours from the bag.

It’s mathsy in a way that “I have a card with 3 CP in here. If I spend it all in New York then I potentially get 43 pts, which is better than spending them to get New Jersey and Vermont.”. The events do pack a punch, but again you need Momentum tokens.

There are surprises like the Debate round and the final Election Day swing, which are good. But, so far, I’d rather play Twilight Struggle.

I cant answer your last question as I only played it once. Will be keen on playing it more to have a better feel.

I played Flamme Rouge for the first time, and absolutely loved it. Just the basic board twice last night and finished second both times. I started from the back of the pack both times so I was happy, but I was also happy with how much talk after the game occurred regarding the strategy of what people tried to do and either worked or failed miserably.

Tonight I am playing Terraforming Mars for the first time.

Cool, I haven’t tried The Mind much apart from with 2 players, I should definitely give it a go with more.

At some point I’m going to have to try Flamme Rouge, I keep hearing good things…

In game terms I think of Flamme Rouge like this: you’ve all got the same cards and you can generally manage hills so as not to waste too many spaces of movement, so if you’re going to beat someone else it has to be in the slipstreaming and blocking.

I read on here a bit ago that Snow Tails was actually better than Flamme Rouge. So I’ll keep my eye out on that. I couldn’t find a review of that game on SU&SD though. What should people buy if they have to pick one?

I haven’t played Snow Tails, and it’s out of print and quite hard to find (at least in the UK and USA). Flamme Rouge has the virtue of having very simple core rules and a complex emergent game.

I feel they are very different games. Snow Tails is tense and demanding on every round, very tactical and really rewarding forward planning, while Flamme Rouge feels more strategic rather than tactical; having a good idea of what you want to do overall and trying to mentally track the contents of your deck. And yeah, as @RogerBW said, Flamme Rouge is all about drafting and blockng, but I will point out that in Snow Tails you also all start with the same cards in your deck.

I have both and I will keep both, as far as I know, forever. Both are great.

Snow Tails was out of print for a long time but a few months ago I saw a copy in my FLGS and picked it up without wasting a moment to think. It’s got a Renegade Games logo on it now, so I would imagine Renegade would probably print some more sooner rather than later. It was really hard to find for a long time because the original publisher, Fragor Games, was extremely small and only does tiny print runs once or twice for most of their games.

Thanks, appreciate it.

In the UK it’s been in and out of stock in The Works (discount book seller) for the last couple of months.

Several good games have been there in the past including Arctic Scavengers and Taj Mahal

Ooh, thanks. Going by my current rules of game purchase, I need to play it first… but there’s always Tabletop Simulator.

I will never learn my lesson :laughing:

This past weekend I brought home Arboretum and played our first game with three players. Holy crap every move was so tense! Maybe it’s just our dynamic, but we are the types that want to win and stop at nothing to do so. So the super cut-throat rules of scoring paths had us working so hard on every turn. God I love this game now, and it’s super fun 2-player. One of my favorites since Lost Cities!

Does it actually work with 2? That seems . . . weird having only played with 4.

It works with 2! they increase the difficulty (fewer start lives and further to go to completion).

Plans with a friend fell through last night, so my wife, brother-in-law, and I played a game of Lords of Waterdeep. It was probably the closest gale the three of us ever played, with our scores leapfrogging repeatedly. My brother-in-law, who tends to lag behind in scoring, was being very competitive and actually ended up winning the game. I was in second by 11 points with my wife trailing me by 9. I likely would have done better had my wife not hit me with three mandatory quests! I can feel the love. :stuck_out_tongue:

Played Cuba Libre. The more I play COINs the more I like them.

It helped that I won as the M-26-7 on the last propaganda card