Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

How do you hold hands and your cards at the same time?

For whatever reason, this comment made me think of making The Mind: The Dice Game using Go First Dice… Now I need to get a set of Go First Dice

I normally wouldn’t do this at a convention, but it works for my group of players as we all know each other very well. I mostly do it because of how different it is, and I think it helps get them into the head space.

Coming to this late, but there are rules in place for if you are instructed to unlock something previously unlocked when retiring a character. It’s on page 48 of the rulebook, basically instead you get to unlock a new random item design and new random side scenario. That said, coming up with mutually acceptable house rules is a fine board gaming skill, so more power to you! :slight_smile:

On Sunday, my normal gaming group (four of us total) came over, and we played Terraforming Mars. It was the first time for all of us except for one guy, who played it over the holidays, so we played with the beginner corporations. It obviously took a revolution to kinda get what was going on, so the three of us who hadn’t played probably all passed on our turns before we should’ve, and the one guy who had played was doing small things for a couple of turns the rest of that revolution. As the game went on, my strategy morphed into playing any kind of VP cards that I could, because I wasn’t able to add most of the water or greenery to the board initially. As such, I lagged behind a bit on Terraforming Rating, so I was able to convince my friends to not see me as a threat for most of the game, but they started catching on towards the end and hit my greenery stockpile twice, losing 6 greens each time. Add this to a misinterpretation of one of the milestones (handing the friend who had played before 2 more VP than me), as well as simply running out of money at the end, and it was enough to undo me. My end of game surge up the rankings wasn’t quite enough.

I’m not saying I would’ve for sure won, as the one who played before ended up winning by about 7, but it certainly changed the game. It was very competitive though, and all of us are super excited to play it again.

Have considered the Isle of Skye expansions but do feel I’ll be happy just having the odd play of the base game. All our game group generally enjoy the base game a lot and several people have said they think it would spoil what is a solid game.

I do love how Terraforming Mars is this way. you can have all those Victory point cards in your plateau. Which is how I won my last game by ~30 points.

I do love how close the games can be though with people doing completely different strategies.

I’m super keen to play Prelude with others as with solo its pretty nice.

Yup, I was (more or less) aware of that option, just sounded a little dull :wink:

If we had noticed, we would have chosen different objective cards. We thought picking a new class was more fun. We fudge the rules a bit when we retire, we donate our money to the city.

Picked up Railroad Ink (Deep Blue) today.

First game 58 points… I think thats good ?

pic incoming to make sure I’m doing it right :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha! I went to check our scores from last weekend, but of course we wiped our boards after the game cough

I remember having a lot more Xs…

The feeling I get is that the dice are so variable that comparing scores doesn’t make as much sense as in some other games, but I may well be wrong. :slight_smile:

Played Memoir 44 and the hype is real. I’m really digging this game. I’m keen on getting either this one or Battlelore 2nd Edition - I prefer getting the latter though.

Also played Flamme Rouge with the Meteo expansion twice, and it was excellent. Played with 2 players + 1 Peloton bot. The weather is a good addition. Not much rules added and yet adds excitement to us. However, it’s easy to ignore and forget the weather effects when we are so into the game.

My idea is to print transparent overlays for the board. Would make it much harder to miss. Not sure I have the graphic design chops to do it right though.

I thought about just keeping the small weather tokens on the side of the track, at the start of the track piece, to make them noticeable. You would expect that people will notice those huge standees at the side of the tracks during the race, but nooooo.

To be fair, we only had one moment of forgetfulness, so I won’t consider it as a major issue, unless it keeps happening on our games.

It hasn’t been a problem for me yet, but I agree, having a thing on the track might well help - and it’s not as though they’re useful for anything else once the shuffling is done.

Why you little… :sweat_smile: I have a dozen games of this on you and I popped a 51 yesterday to tie my girlfriend’s high score, and beat my previous of 47. It was a 61 point game riddled with loose ends. So from my perspective that’s a damn fine first score!

The best I’ve managed with connections is 9, you probably got a little luck popping 11 on your first round. But definitely prioritize connections whenever you can, the longest roads/tracks and central zones definitely feel like risky bonus points in comparison (at least in the base game).

Despite Polar Vortex, the ancient formless beast from the dark, unknowable distant north, laying siege to the city and surrounding countryside, two brave travelers trekked overland to arrive at the warm den of their Gamenight Host, a mysterious figure known only as “pillbox”. Oh, and his equally mysterious wife; and if we’re going for accuracy, it was more of a dining room than a den.

It is not a well-known fact that the breath weapon of Polar Vortex, known as Arctic Blast, is a viciously-cold, sweeping, blowing wind that, when subjected to, causes people to say stupid things like, “Where the heck is global warming when you need it? Amirite?” Fortunately, for pillbox’s sake, his two shrouded visitors seemed to have successfully made saving throws vs Dumb.

ahem

Sadly, one of our gamenight regulars will be moving out of state in the next few weeks, so we are attempting to get as much quality gaming in before that time as we are able. Unfortunately, in a tragic blunder, he mistakenly packed up all of his games far in advance instead of packing inconsequential things such as pants and furniture. The other attendee, though residing only two houses away, also arrived empty-handed; perhaps in an effort to maintain maximum hand-in-pocketedness during the walk through the biting cold.

Fortunately for all of us (me, my game group, even yourselves. Yes, you, the one reading this), I had no shortage of games hand-selected from my shelves for just this occasion; included titles were: Ticket to Ride: Germany, Nippon Rails, Flamme Rouge, Ethnos, Sagrada, Ticket to Ride: New York, Isle of Skye, Animals On Board, HMS Dolores, Belle of the Ball, The Great Heartland Hauling Company, Celestia, Hanabi, Railroad Ink Deep Blue Edition, and Dragonwood. After a few minutes of social catch-up, somebody made the mistake of turning to me and asking, “What would you like to play?”.

I had received Ra as a Christmas gift from my wife but, until then, had never had the chance to play it; knowing both that I wanted to play it with more than two-player and that I wanted to have my wife play with me the first time I played, it was an easy choice. My neighbor had played before (and complained about how his wife thrashes him at it) and everybody else was going in blind. I struggled a little to remember all of the rules, seeing as it had been a month since I had removed the shrink, punched the tiles, and read the rulebook, but with the help of the experience player, we were Ra-ing shortly afterwards. I have the Windrider edition and despite the excellent production quality, there were initially several complaints about the low contrast on the tiles and the dark color palette that was used; we got used to it and by the end of the first epoch, we all were keeping a close eye on what everybody had in front of them, only marginally struggling to make out the different end-game-scoring monuments. I made several early tactical blunders and ended up with the 1, 2, and 7 bidding tiles in the second epoch which I felt as though all-but-eliminated me from contention. The game picked up as we all acclimated to the flow and the strategy. After about an hour from when the box-top hit the table, we had determined who was the Ra-iest of the group, having to use the first tie-breaker due to both Neighbor (we will call him B) and He-Who-Will-Move (known hereafter as D) achieving a score of 43 with D taking the win with his 9 bidding tile as the tie-breaker. Mrs. pillbox once again proved that I am lucky to have her (and not the other way around) by scoring a respectable 39, leaving me in last with 28.

At that time, Mrs. pillbox felt it necessary to retire for the evening, so we bid her goodnight and set off on our next adventure: Istanbul! (not) Istanbul is one of my all-time favorites and it’s been a year since I’ve gotten it to the table. With my Istanbul Big Box pre-order still awaiting fulfillment, I was excited to get just the base game out and show it to my two guests, both of whom have never played. Setup was as fiddly as I remember it, but with some delegation of tasks and a few quick flips through the rulebook, we had it setup in about 5 minutes and, about 10 minutes after that, I had explained the action selection mechanism and summarized all of the actions on the board. It was during this The Teach that I remembered how regrettable some of the iconography is as I would be forced to flip through the rules to answer the questions being asked. Once we started playing, things went quickly and both of the new players commented about how smooth and quick the game feels. One of the things that I really like about Istanbul is that the movement mechanism and the forward planning are not things that come easily to me and, as usual, I was really stinking it up. The two new players were quick to plot effective paths and, in what seemed like no time at all, D had claimed victory with B able to get his 4th ruby and very close to getting his 5th. I ended the game with 2 rubies and a smile on my face (to be clear, the rubies were not on my face, just the smile)

We were all a bit shocked about how quickly we had knocked out two games already. Some game nights, we barely have time for one game and a “closer” game; but there we were, two games in, two games out and still about an hour left before our usual closing time. That’s when Wingspan hit the table again by popular demand. It’s rare for me to get games to the table repeatedly in short succession, but this is the 4th time in less than a week for Wingspan. Even as we were setting up the game, both of my visitors had mentioned that they were planning on picking up a copy of the game as soon as they could. One of the great things about Wingspan is that I can do the entire game setup without opening a rules book or referring to a reference card. The three of us were each a few fingers of whiskey deep at this point and we did make one mistake: it wasn’t until almost halfway through the second round that I realized none of us had Bonus cards, so we drew 2 each and kept one- two of us probably profited a bit by getting to select our Bonus after having an established player board, but ultimately I don’t think any of the bonuses accounted for more than about a 8 point swing. We blasted through the first half of the game; during the second half, B was distracted by some important cell-phone-related things and struggled to focus on engine-building. D had stumbled into an incredible bird combination (combirdnation?) around the second round and his turns began to prompt such comments from me as, “Wait, you can do that again!?” and “Let me see that card…”. By the end of the game, we were certain who would win; even still, it was fun to watch his engine run and I never felt as though my turns were “irrelevant”, i.e. I was having fun despite knowing that I couldn’t win. D (yet again claiming the win) posted an insane score of 109 while I had a respectable 76 and B, having been distracted by the android siren song, still managed 62.

“Thanks for listening to a tale of Gamenights of near-ago,” said the shadowy figure known around the world, famous for his ability to lift up on a car’s door handle at exactly the same time as somebody presses the unlock button on their key-fob, as pillbox. He shoos you out the door and slams it behind you.

“Wait! Come back, I will tell you the tale of a Gamelunch of near-ago, too, if you would care to listen?” he asks as he yanks the door open again, not at all attempting to stave off the work he should be doing at the moment instead of typing nonsense into a web forum somewhere.

Last week, my neighbor and I discussed the possibility of meeting up and playing a Lunchtime Boardgame (it’s like a Lunchtime Egg except it’s typically not served raw). He works from home most days and I work from home two days a week, so in an effort to inject even more cardboard into our lives, we decided to, from time to time, meet up over our lunch breaks on the days were both working from home. Mere hours before he would walk over for Gamenight, he walked over around noon (possibly to practice walking later? Perhaps, he did seem to be rather practiced and confident in his ability to walk down the sidewalk). Again, he brought nothing and, likely, it was because it’s freaking cold outside and boardgames don’t tend to offer as much protection from the wind as pockets. Aha! Yet again (again but also in the past before the first time; narrative is hard work) the choice is mine and I get something to the table for the first time: Ethnos! The irritatingly thin-yet-specific fantasy setting punctuated with (wonderful) pastel player colors atop drab, gloomy map regions. Ethnos is a game I picked up because of the similarities I saw between it and Ticket to Ride, which my wife really enjoys. Wanting to give it a test run with not-my-wife, my neighbor seemed the perfect chance. I was not prepared for the Mancala-feel of knowing you’re going to offer up the juiciest and most delectable Elves and Wizards to your opponent; though in a 2-player game, it never seemed too punishing. After one play, I’m still eager to show it to my wife but I worry that it may fall flat. She loves Mancala and the set-collection is very similar to Ticket to Ride, one of her favorites. I really enjoy that the bulk of your score comes from you sets rather than the area control component of the map; I think in this way, the map is a quasi-substitute for the ticket cards of Ticket to Ride or, in general, objective cards in a number of other titles that she likes- serving to provide direction in what would otherwise be an ugly sandbox of Orc Points and staring at your hand, groaning because you can’t do everything you want.

“Off you go. Take care now,” he says as he slams the door behind you again. “Some of us have to work, you know?” you hear him say loudly on the other side.

We didn’t have a lot of time to game tonight, so my son and I played a quick round of Gekido Battle Bots.

It’s very similar to King of Tokyo, but as a 1v1 it actually plays a bit quicker. There seems to be a bit more going on at 3/4 players; larger board, different bot abilities, tech cards. You lose most of that for the 1v1 mode, but it’s fine. I would have been disappointed if we had paid the full price $55, but we got it for $20, and it’s been well worth it.

Thinking next weekend we might try and get a 3 or 4 player game in to try the other things going on.

Also, the 6 Bot minis are pre painted and awesome!

What about the production quality put you off? I played it over Christmas and I didn’t have any issues with it apart from maybe the lacklustre scoring track?

That’s great! It looks like the game has really “clicked” with you. Interesting board layout, it would be cool if you also wrote the round number in the top-right corner when you draw it (which also helps you remember what you’ve drawn in the current turn) so we can see your thought process. It doesn’t look like you got many corners, which are definitely harder to integrate but even so it’s a very strong score.

There is definitely something about the game that means some people are just better at it because of how their brain works. I’ve found there is much less of an improvement curve than in something like Welcome To where over time you learn how to play the puzzle. In RailRoad Ink that happens to an extent but some people seem to naturally be able to use the visual space in a really efficient way!

For me it’s a little greed and a whole lotta obsessing. When I play with my girl, I have about 5 minutes of downtime between rolls as she maths the hell out of her situation. Conversely, I slam down roads and rails almost haphazardly, striving for some abstract, internalized “vision”.

So I’ll definitely agree, some folks are just going to tackle things differently (or better) and that’s a huge part of the fun. Scoring comes second to the joys of seeing your opponents’ results.