Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

This is interesting, I dislike Eldrtich Horror Arkaham Horror (never played 3e) and Mansions of Madness for lack of agency reasons. I have no issue with output randomness though. Having played a lot of and loved many mini wargames I like the thrills and spills of dice tests to resolve things. I think my issue is more that my choices are so irrelevant to the games outcome and given that, I don’t find the stories interesting or engaging or have any interest in the writing. I think along the lines of if I’m not making the difference to this story, why not just read a book or a watch a film that would be a better story experience and expand my horizons.

On to the point that inspired me to this post. I actually like Betrayal at House on the Hill and I’m currently really enjoying a Betrayal Legacy campaign. While the exploration pre haunt is pure guess work I enjoy that experience as it feels thematic, it conjures up the feeling of the horror genre really well for me, also once the haunt begins I think I have enough information without it being complete that I feel that I’m making a plan and being engaged and that my decisions have relevance. It is possible to be in a situation where the haunt was triggered with one side basically having no chance, I however see that as an acceptable risk that’s part and parcel of it being able to generate surprising and engaging story. Also battling through against the odds feels thrilling. Having not played Betrayal since about 2009 I was nervous about playing it again in case my evolving tastes meant I no longer enjoyed it and the memory was tainted. When a friend insisted we play Betrayal Legacy I was nervous, turns out I’m not against story driven games. I’ve just played a lot that I want to describe as “shit” but would be more acurrately described as “not to my tastes”.

I would go on about input vs output randomness more, but this has already gone long.

Played Wingspan. Again. It’s still a satisfying game. If I’m building my collection, I would love to have it. But not in this phase I’m in.

I get Taj Mahal’s poker feel of holding your cards and playing them on the right time, but the scoring just feels so weird to me. I’m sad to say that I will be selling off this Knizia.

Rococo is just wonderful! It’s that typical bland looking, boring sounding Euro that is just a charm to play. WHY IS THIS GAME SO RARE?

Had a go at Shards of Infinity last night with board game savant and another friend. It has a couple of nice twists for a deckbuilder, but I think board game savant sussed it out quicker than we did, although I did make a better go of things in the second game. The instant-win mechanic is nice, it means everyone has a chance. Overall, it was good fun. The expansion seems to do too much, I’d have enjoyed more cards and variety rather than introducing whole new card types. It’s very enjoyable, nonetheless, quite cheap and worth a try if you like deckbuilders If you’re good at deckbuilders, the novelty may wear off quickly.

Interesting: Ascension was my gateway into boardgaming when it came out and I’ve been curious about Shards. I sort of fell off Stone blade stuff when they kickstarted their online game and our Ascension deck was getting too massive to effectively play through so it all fell to the wayside.

Played Dominion: Dark Ages. One comment was that it felt like wading through trash, so I guess the designer nailed the theme + mechanic combo.

It’s a really interesting expansion in that many cards trash stuff (allowing for leaner decks) and many cards give one-off bonuses when trashed (allowing for combos without +1/+2 Action cards). I hit the point of chaining through 2/3rds of my deck reliably, but only came in second place. The winner simply used a Procession to trash a card to play it twice, trashing a Poor House, which gives you +(4 - 1 per treasure card in hand) gold to spend. So if he had no money, he consistently hit 8 gold to buy a province. It seemed a little cheap, but all combos are there to exploit by all players, and I just didn’t see it until too late.

It’s not a bad price point, and good curio to get out and show people. Also, teaching it is very easy if you’ve played Star Realms (its closest relative, I’d say).

A tricky combination to pull off, so if he made it work, fair play to him!

Yeah, he trashed all his starting coppers, had just one or two gold cards, and relied on Scavenger (+1 gold per differently named treasure card in the trash) for a lot of his money. He really committed to the strategy and it really paid off.

Ha! I bought Star Realms last weekend on a lark (it was $10) though haven’t had a chance to play it yet.

My son and I played our first game of My Little Scythe. I haven’t played the “grown up” version, but I’ve heard they did a really good job distilling it down into a kids/family game.

We had a pretty good time, though with a couple of rough points as it was our first game; my son kept wanting to move every turn, and I had to remind him of the player board. That alone makes it fairly different from anything we have, so while it was a simple enough mechanic, it feels extremely foreign.

Hoping to get it to the table again this weekend.

As a side note, the production quality is fantastic.

Edit: I forgot to mention that he won. I had one last chance to try and tie it up, but could nt get my last trophy.

I picked up My Little Scythe having never played either it nor the original. Honestly, I’m 95% satisfied with MLS and I’m hoping the other 5% will come in whatever expansion(s) they have planned for it. Full disclosure: I’ve only played with an all-adult group

Due to bad weather, my regular gaming night was cancelled this week. Fortunately, the game night host is just two doors down the street from me, so I walked over there anyway and we played a couple of games two-player.

The first game we played was Nippon Rails (in the Empire Builder series). I had received a copy of Nippon Rails as a Christmas gift from my wife who, at the suggestion of the FLGS employee helping her find things on my wishlist, bought it instead of Railways of Nippon. I had never played Nippon Rails, or any Empire Builder series game, and mentioned it to my neighbor; Empire Builder is a household favorite of theirs and he offered to play it with me so I could decide whether I wanted to exchange it or keep it.

I had a great time playing it and before even half-way through the game, I had decided that I was definitely keeping my copy. Unfortunately, my wishlist is even longer now as I’ve added both Empire Builder and Iron Dragon to my mental image of what a great game collection should contain. Nippon Rails gave me the feeling of an “engine builder” game without the typical card-based tableau building that is so prevalent in modern engine-building games today; the game went from, at the beginning, feeling extremely tight to, towards the end, feeling like there are so many things I could do but I would have to choose wisely to stay competitive. Ultimately, I lost by, I think, $17 million, which felt extremely satisfying as a new player up against an experienced Empire Builder veteran.

Following Nippon Rails, we had about 20 minutes to kill before calling it a night, so I brought out Animals On Board. It took almost exactly 20 minutes with 2 players including the rules explanation. Very cute artwork and great production quality were apparent immediately; and then the surprising tension of the split-or-take mechanism, sort of a cross between an auction and I-split-you-choose which worked very well.

I have finally played Nusfjord and I enjoyed it! @FunkJem :+1:

Also played Ghost Blitz which is a dexterity game, Hellapagos, and Tempel des Schreckens.

It does hhave room for a bit more content in the box; I’m wondering if they plan on adding Fenris to the game?

Ive actually seen comments (that I agree with) that if Scythe didnt exist, and this game was released with a more standard “Euro” theme, it would easily become a highly recommnended entry level/family game.

That said, I’m trying not to form an opinion until we play it a bit more. I want to see how it flows once we have the rules nailed down.

I enjoyed the game, but I can’t deny that there is a part of me that found it sluggish? Not that the game is slow; overall it moves quick, and you’ll start getting trophies fairly early. Its just that the game feels slow. I believe Paul made similar comments about Scythe in his review. Every thing about the game just feels like it takes forever, despite the game not being overly long. I’ll see if MLS still feel that way after a few more plays.

I’m not sure I agree. I think I know what you’re talking about, but I felt it was more along the lines of how I feel in other games I greatly enjoy; e.g. when your turn comes around, there are so many different things that you want to do but you can only do, critically, one thing at a time. And despite each action accomplishing a great deal (one of the things I really like about My Little Scythe is how much game experience it packs into such a tidy play duration and decision space), you’re always aware that on you very next turn, you still have more than one thing you desperately need to do and it’s all too obvious that you’ll, yet again, have to decide which of those things is more important.

I get this same sensation when playing other games I really enjoy, namely (coming to mind) Concordia. In my mind, it’s one of the hallmarks of great games; i.e. games that are capable of repeatedly, turn-after-turn, giving you tight, demanding decisions that are never overwhelming but, critically, always interesting.

Interesting. After reading your response, and giving it some thought, I think that may be the issue itself. I don’t currently play many strategy games of that nature (or Euro games in general). The only ones I can think of in my collection would be Raiders of the North Sea, and 51st State Master Set (which has yet to even hit the tale). The rest of my collection consists of Tableau Builders/Set Collection/Action Selection, but it’s primarily Ameri-thrash and/or various coops (Pandemic and its iterations, Ghost Stories, etc.).

My son enjoyed MLS though, so I definitely want to play it more and see how it feels. That said, I’m starting to wonder if it’s just not the right type of game for me, as I’m not sure I enjoy that core idea that you described; always having many things you want/need to do, but you can only ever do one at a time. It’s a particular kind of stress that is almost more frustrating than enjoyable. On the other hand, all of this could just be due to a lack of experience with this type of game.

FWIW, I’ve heard a number of people that had a similar experience with Scythe when it released. They went in expecting one thing (often a war game, because that’s what it looks like), and they had a poor experience. On further plays, knowing what it actually was, they thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m hoping that having a better grasp of what the game is, I can go into future games with a different mindset.

Playing for the first time as the Woodland Alliance, I had immense fun with Root. I cannot wait for the next kickstarter with the revised rules and 2nd expansion.

Sometimes I have pet names for games.
Azul’s is starburst. You win you get to keep tks candy

I’d to put together a “street Azul”, but buying enough of the things (and making the boards) would probably cost more than the game.

This might be of interest in the meantime:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ErlgQGIQm_T4DFkDKJKiCkuyymZF6hpY/view
It’s an ‘Ugrade Kit’ for the rule changes.