Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

I have both and really like both. If you’re looking for something that feels a bit more like a strategy game I would go for Welcome To whereas if you’re looking for a pretty box that’s great fun maybe go for Railroad Ink. Initially Railroad Ink seems more accessible but it’s actually pretty tricky for some people to grasp the most efficient way of laying out your network. However, it’s definitely an easier one to get the concept quickly. Also if you’re looking to play a lot then Railroad Ink’s re-usable boards will hold out for longer than Welcome To’s sheets (although you might need to replace the pens at some point)

Welcome To feels like there’s a lot more variety in the “core” puzzle - you can either focus on City Plans or decide to try and get all the pools or maybe build a lot of parks. It also has a bigger sense of progression and mastery. I’ve only played 3 games but my score has gone up from 60ish to 103. It’s got a great puzzle and it will take a long time to figure out how to balance all of the different abilities. It also comes with achievements!

Railroad Ink has stayed really fun after a dozen or so plays, and I haven’t tried the expansion dice yet! Scores seem to vary less and it can be less predictable. My Railroad Ink score has varied between the mid-40s to the mid-50s with one lucky 63 as my high score. It definitely has more of a push-your-luck feel where you can set up your networks to rely on the dice doing exactly what you need in the final turn, which is always tense and leads to stronger emotions. It feels like you’ve got slightly less control over the game since the dice don’t offer the same reliability as Welcome To’s deck.

Railroad Ink is a game of ups and downs that are often experienced together whenever someone rolls all corners :angry:. Welcome To is more a game of long term planning and frustration at your own mistakes (although that also applies to both). Welcome To tends to also have different strategies arise, whereas Railroad Ink’s strategies are less readable and interesting to compare.

Welcome To has the race to achieve city plans which adds some player interaction whereas Railroad Ink is a purely solitaire game - you all use the same dice and see who can use them best - so if you’re desperate for some player interaction then Welcome To is probably the best candidate. I find it easier to get Railroad Ink to the table (or wherever, it’s super portable, whereas Welcome To not so much) but I’m also excited to get better at the Welcome To puzzle.

I really love both, really depends on which aspects of them you’re interested in :smiley:

Let’s make a bus route.

It’s a flip n write with a single board you write on. Stupidly pricey though. It’s either that or something like Noch Mal, Ganz Schön Clever where you can draft dice away from an opponent

That was a great breakdown of both games. Thanks for the info!

Awesome write up!

I’ve been pestering FLGS to get copies of Railroad Ink in but apparently it just hasn’t gotten to my area yet for Bricks and Mortar retails, and I’d like to support local businesses.

Possible game night tonight, might be Terraforming Mars or Eldritch Horror.
I really need to re-read the rules for A Feast for Odin so I can get it to the table.

Played our first game of Dead Men Tell No Tales tonight. Its a coop with a lot of similarities to Pandemic, but the board is made up of small tiles that you add to throughout the game. We missed a few steps overall; forgot to draw a tile, or add a pirate, that sort of thing (typical stuff for a first game). We played on easy, and got our 4 treasures, so it was a win, even if we made a few mistakes.

Overall it was pretty fun, and I’m looking forward to trying it again. Also, the theme is great; your characters are little pirate meeples, similar to the characters in Clank!.

It seems to be sold out everywhere! I am suspicious that after the successful launch we’re going to see another couple of colours launch if the next print run does well. Green and Yellow anyone? The problem is that I’m not sure I could stop myself from buying them despite owning both Red and Blue…
They’re the two games I like to have on display the most and they look great side by side :smile:

I can already support a 13-player game with red, blue and the promo pack they had at Essen. I don’t need more. Really, I don’t…

I’d never heard about the promo pack so I Googled it and this thread on BGG suggests there are definitely some sort of plans… I guess we have to wait till later this year to find out. I can always assure myself that it’s not a pointless purchase and I need the (presumably new) expansion?

Thank you so much for your write up! You’ve given me a lot to think about and I think I’m going to look closer into Welcome to . . . rather than my tempted impulse buy of Railroad Ink. thanks a lot!

It’s been a while! Over the Christmas and New Year period I played some games, but not too many.

Teotihuacan is still fascinating, and I scored 207 in one of the games. I completed the pyramid about a turn before the 3rd eclipse, but I know it can be accelerated,

Railroad Ink. This is quite quick, but it lost its appeal for me. It’s still lovely and immersive and all of that good stuff, but I find myself reaching for Welcome To instead.

Nusfjord in which I lost my first game for a while, the other two players scored 36 to my 33. It’s tight and offers good choices, but I’m not sure the other two were struck. I’d still love to play it 5-player, as resource contention will be on worker placement spaces rather than wood/fish. I still adore it, and will flop it on the table to anyone who likes a medium Euro.

The Mind Stuttering on this, I can only seem to get to Level 7 on any player count. Something weird happens when you have sequential numbers in hand.

Harry Potter: Deckbuilding Battle at Hogwarts or something I can’t remember the full title, it’s a long one. I played this with the 7yo and he loved it. He got the tactics quickly - “So influence is like trade in Star Realms, got it” and we proceeded to lose heavily in Game 5. Fun times though, we have yet to play game 7 as it has spoilers and I don’t want to ruin the ending for him. The game itself is quite neat, the escalating decks and villains are well matched, but it’s not going to hold the attention of a heavy euro player, for example. Great for what it does and I felt thematic immersion (not a euphemism) so that’s good fun.

Lords of Waterdeep in which 7yo registered his first win by shoving mandatory quests on me every other turn or so. He’s canny. Just like the way he builds away from the main action in Carcassonne just to tie up the scoring for farms.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small This is a brainburner, which I didn’t realise when I played it with 7yo. He had fun building fences and collecting sheep, and I couldn’t quite get things together, despite scoring bonuses with all animals. It’s a really good game for two in a pub. Not too much Agricola style blocking either, of course in worker placement your options aren’t always open to you, but it’s how to adapt, and the other options always offer a move for later or immediate benefit. This will definitely be seeing the table more.

Race for the Galaxy In which I lost, but remembered how fun it was.

To paraphrase Bruce Forsyth, good gaming, good gaming.

Tuesday night, my wife and I played a relatively quick game of Ghost Stories. Now, we only play this a few times a year, so we have not really mastered the strategies involved, which is why we still play on easy difficulty, with four qi and an extra tao token at the beginning of the game and still lose a majority of our games. That said, we were brutally slaughtered with no hope at all of winning after a fourth of the ghost deck or so and just going through the motions for the rest of the game to see what would have the honor of killing us.

I mean, a 4 strength tormentor came out on one of the neutral boards pretty early on. Soon my wife got a ghost that locked a die on her board while we were across the map from it. Soon afterwards a Black Widow came out on my board which prevents the use of tao tokens and before that, another tormentor came out, this time on my board and we hadn’t even managed to remove the first one. It didn’t help that we didn’t have the Sorcerer’s Hut, which let’s you kill any ghost at the cost of 1 qi. Killed the Black Widow just to have another one come out a couple turns later. Meanwhile Haunters are showing up all over the place and we keep drawing ghosts that for their game entering effect have us draw ANOTHER ghost. It was just chaos and death all around.

Love this game! :smiley:

We’re in the same boat, as far as lacking the strategic experience, and its losses like that that keep it from hitting our table more often. It can be disheartening for anyone, let alone my 10 year old son!

Such a great game though.

I found out they sold out 2 days after they got their shipment in, so I’ve had to resort to Amazon to get it as its sold out everywhere locally :frowning: really wanted to support my FLGS.

My game night got cancelled last night, like 15 minutes before we were meant to meet up :frowning:

We also had cookies, new (to us) chocolate Stoopwafels! The chocolate isn’t as good as regular, but the bitterness matched our defeat.
(Also you going to teach me your strategy huh😑?)

Played Tzolkin with the expansion and damn! I remember why I love this game so much.

The expansions are pretty cool, since they have a small footprint and small ruleset (quick actions are less elegant) but adds that variety to put Tzolkin into a different level.
The prophesies seems to railroad players into something, otherwise you’ll get left behind, but it’s still cool.

That sucks. Hope you have a Plan B. My Pandemic Legacy SE01 group bail one night, did a Twilight Struggle as Plan B and that one fell through as well :joy::joy::joy::joy: but, the night wasnt over, a couple invited me to Pandemic: Iberia which is my first game of that and had a good time :ok_hand:

A bit late to the party but on Monday I tried to introduce Arkham Horror 3e to the office gaming crew and it was such an unmitigated sh*t show that at one point I was tempted to just crawl under the table and start sobbing from aggravation.

• Of the attendees half of them mentally checked out after 2 rounds. The others (me included) were getting really into it.
  • One of the “checked out crew” started to play a game on their phone and would just shrug through their turn (Quote “Oh look an encounter oops I failed.” “But … you didn’t roll any dice.” “Meh.”).
  • Another was pouting that they were having bad dice luck and would roll each die one at a time then sulk if they failed the test.
  • “How do we get clues?” “You hang out in a neighbourhood with clue tokens and try and get them during an encounter.” “Why can’t I just … Get them?” “Because … That’s not how you do it?” “Well, that’s f*cking dumb.”

I won’t lie that that first round went a bit long with some rules referencing since it was pretty much everyone’s first time playing but after the first round it gelled for the Fun Time Crew and we were getting into it… Not so much for the other group.

To be honest, I’m not convinced that’s entirely the fault of the “checked out crew”. I mean, it sounds like they were jerks about it, but I have a similar reaction to most randomise-and-read-what-happens board games, especially when they run as long as AH. Did they know what they were in for before the day?

I may have under played the reading element but we’ve played similar more-reading-than-usual games before with some success. Before the event I linked to some howto-play videos and stressed even when pitching made sure that everyone knew it was co-op, had phases per round, etc.
I’m wouldn’t blame or hold it against them if they weren’t engaged but I yeah, I’m a bit irked at how they acted. The next time we’ll probably play something faster and less complicated like One Night Werewolf or Cockroach Poker.

Just for clarity, I wasn’t really commenting on the amount of reading, but on the lack of player agency in outcomes. You draw to see what happens, then roll to see what happens, and read the outcome. It can feel very dis-empowering, and cause people who were hoping to have more say in what happens to check out. You need to go into such games with a “let’s see what happens” mentality, and enjoy the ride. It’s a very very different experience to competitive play, and even to many cooperative games.