Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

Last night some friends came over:

NMBR 9 (in 8 player mode because I have two sets) - and it turns out this is a good starter game because you can bring the latecomers up to speed when they arrive.
Human Punishment (still loving this one, and looking forward to the expansion)
Human Era (seems very simple but it’s still great fun)
Senators (where did this go? An Essen 2018 launch but no sign of it since, I’m really glad to have got my copy now)

Once you get the scoring it’s easy but the rule book has an ambiguity in the scoring which amongst a whole bunch of new rules can make the effort more annoying than it should be.

Eg. It’s possible to read the scoring for a single column of 3 as 3+1.

The German rules are pretty clear (they tell you to score the tile immediately and then go on to describe how to do it).
They don’t spell out that you are the starting player after acquiring the first player tile, but describe how to acquire it and later say that the starting player puts the tile in the middle, so they clearly imply it, and to suggest otherwise would be pure sophistry in my opinion.
But it is very well possible that the Englisch translation loses some of the German precision and sneaks in a little ambiguity, that’s happened before.

I’ve just taken a look at the English rules PDF and I’ve to say that they are as clear as the German rules.
I understand the way scoring works is not exactly intuitive, and when we started playing we had to consult the manual several times to make sure we get exactly this point right, but that wasn’t because of some ambiguity in the wording - there is none.
So I think we could agree that the scoring is simple and explained well, but a bit counterintuitive, so that it can lead to misunderstandings and some rules checking while playing the game for the first time.
And it’s important to make that clear when explaining the game.

“but that wasn’t because of some ambiguity in the wording - there is none”

I disagree with you about the ambiguity, because that’s one of those “eye of the beholder” things. The end result is that I was confused about the rules. To me not explicitly stating how one becomes the First Player is confusing. For all I knew, First Player just means “First Player to pick up this totally useless penalty tile.”
Also, stating that you immediately score a point and then, down the page, telling you to add up your verticals and horizontals could lead to a situation, as mistercrayon points out where “it’s possible to read the scoring for a single column of 3 as 3+1.”

In any event, I understand the rules now, but I reserve the right to claim that I am confused and muddleheaded whenever I damn well please, and no amount of cleverness can take that away from me. Please don’t mistake my inability to understand rules for sophistry—you overestimate my intellect at your peril, sir.

I think for my 2019 resolution I’ll try to be more active on these fourms. Haha.

My last played game was on on Dec. 29, my brother-in-law bought my wife and I Zombicide and we played it for the first time.

I … was not impressed. Found it pretty boring, really, but my wife is a sucker for zombie games and had a good time. Maybe it’ll get better with different scenarios, but we already own Last Night on Earth, and aside from being completely co-op and having prettier minis, I didn’t find it did enough different from that game to really warrant us having both.

But, considering I have a ton of games, some I still haven’t ever gotten to the table, it’s only fair she keeps some games she likes, even if they pretty much offer the same experience.

You’re actually misquoting the rules, but I agree there’s no need to argue over a game we both think is great?
(Please say you think it is, so I don’t have to be annoyingly pedantic :crazy_face:. )

What surprised me about Tokyo Highway was that it was more an “analogue* spatial strategy and resources game” than dexterity. After playing it once, it was definitely the limited resources that bit us in the bum first and foremost rather than the race to deploy all the cars. This is something I will definitely bear in mind next time.

* dear hipsters, please stop using the term “analog(ue) gaming” to refer to board games, because (as I was going to rant about here but decided it was off-topic so moved it elsewhere) very very few of them actually are.

My friend came over this past week to try out Roll Player for the first time. The references to Sagrada were DEEP son. Lots of similarities. At first I felt that we were really all making decisions for our own player, and only drafting the dice was something affecting other players. But the marketplace mechanic, in which players can just remove items like crazed-item-removers, made me feel much more competitive with everyone else around the table.

It’s got dice, math, and a generic fantasy setting. Usually things that I don’t super care for… (well, math is cool) but I seriously enjoyed myself.

Have a great 2019 everybody.

Holding On: The Troubled Life of Billy Kerr – not my copy, and not absolutely sure we played correctly. Its a cooperative game of caring for an old guy in hospital. Each turn you have to assign nurses (the players), and also select cards to give clues about his memory, either complete or incomplete. By the end of the game, it didn’t really feel like we had made any meaningful choices.

Men At Work – always fun

The Estates – this game can get vicious. I’d played once before, so I thought I’d try to get the companies represented by the most colour cubes at the start. Which was successful, but made me a target. The last few rounds were about trying to screw me over the most. If you don’t enjoy kingmaking, this may not be the game for you. Because as the buildings decrease, it can be hard to find a move that actually benefits you. We couldn’t find a rule about it, but decided that you couldn’t choose a building cube if it couldn’t be legally placed. In the end, only one player had a positive score. I got zero, which actually put me in second place.

Gizmos

Drop It x3

Welcome To…

First Game Night of the new year. One meaty game with some short games either side.

Shikoku (6 player) was first up. An interesting race game where you bid for order and then move but if you are second or second to last you don’t move. The winners (there are at least two at high enough player counts) are the players that are second or second to last when someone reaches the end of the track. I was placed 3/6

Russian Railroads (3 player). A themeless euro if ever there was one. A worker placement gane, supposedly about building railroads. What this actually means is taking spaces to move tokens to get bonuses and score multipliers. I came last but ultimately I don’t know how I could improve my score. I prefer it’s lighter cousin First Class

Cat Lady (3 player) Excellent game based around a Rochester Draft. Take care cards and food to feed cat cards with a few other scoring mechanisms. Came second

Coloretto (5 player) Wonderful push your luck set collection game. I came 3/5

Played 4 player Brass: Birmingham and I went third. Teaching this game is hard compare to other games, even compared to other heavy Euros. But I often leave the game thinking “I want to play Brass again”

I end up becoming enamoured with Agra. It’s a very heavy Euro game that is too smart for its own good. It feels like it made itself complicated for the sake of being complicated. But I still like it. Once you’re done with the steep climb of learning the heavy rule set, I find it very satisfying. If it wasn’t for its complicated rules explanation, I would buy this in a heartbeat.

My friends received their copy of Crypt from Kickstarter, and it’s a pretty fun filler game.

Tokyo Highways is a funny dexterity game, but the drab grey concrete highways and columns look drab and the highways seems to be a bunch of popsicle sticks painted grey. I would rather get a more colourful dexterity game like Men at Work or Junk Art.

Gizmos is like a more complex Splendour to me. It’s good, but I have an issue with the marble dispenser. It doesn’t feel random when you always see a series of the same colours when people start to pay with multiple marbles of the same colour.

Kartel is a quick filler game from Reiner Knizia. It’s just fine.

But the best recent Reiner Knizia game I’ve played so far is Quest for El Dorado. It is also the best deckbuilder game I’ve played so far. Maybe because it doesn’t feel like a deckbuilder. I immediately bought a copy of this.

Imhotep is a funny one. You can either place a building block from the quarry to your sled or place one from the shed to one of the boats. You can also ship one of the boats into one of the game’s destinations. I like this one. It’s always funny when you bring a boat filled with your friends’ blocks and ship them elsewhere.

I adore imhotep! I like it comes with giant cubes.

So I thought we could leave a game of Azul set up on our living room table to take turns throughout the day.
Solid plan, if not for the fact that we couldn’t stop playing once we started, and finished the game with baby in arm and nervously glancing at the kitchen clock.
I really wanted another round to the five tile bonus and finish another column, but it turns out I was so concentrated on denying my girlfriend the tile she needed to finish a row that I didn’t pay that much attention to my own tableau and accidentally ended the game myself. :rofl:
She won 57-54 and I learned not to forget your own plans when you are thwarting someone elses’.

Had our usual couple over for some gaming on New Year’s day. We knocked off another of our 12 Games of Christmas by playing Lords of Waterdeep with both expansion modules. It was fun seeing the corruption go really out of hand for a while, getting up to -7 per token, but by the end of the game, I think the highest number anyone had was 2 tokens and it was down to -5 or -6. Our friend won by a relatively decent margin, somewhere in the 130’s to 140’s, with my wife in second in around 115 or so, myself two points behind her, and our other friend with a little over 100 points.

To be fair, though, during the setup a mistake was made, and instead of removing a number of Intrigue cards and Building tiles from the base game (to be replaced by ones from the expansions), they were removed from the expansion materials. My wife had a Lord that scored extra points for every quest completed and building owned from the Skullport expansion, so while we still consider the game a win for our friend, we are also saying the error in setup invalidates her loss.

Afterwards, we played Sheriff of Nottingham using our new Merry Men expansion which they had given me for Christmas. We just used the Merry Men module, though I’m looking forward to trying out all the other ones over time. I like how it encourages smuggling, though there were a number of times people were still honest and got paid the penalty by the sheriff. I managed to win with a pretty decent lead, around 185 to everyone else’s 135ish score. Probably the best I’ve ever done in the game.

I have played Cat Lady but Rochester draft??

Drafting variant from Magic where all cards are known

I’ve never heard of Gizmos, but the descriptor “… more complex Splendor” intrigues me since I love Splendor but wouldn’t mind a little more crunch. Going to have to look into that.

Designer is pretty big in Strayla (Imhotep, Barenpark, Cacao)

Gloomhaven – our usual game. Went ok, but I don’t think I’m playing my character optimally, running out of cards a bit

The Margaret & David At The Movies Boardgame, not sure where my mate found this, somewhere hidden in the back. I have fond memories of Margaret and Davids movie show. And it was fairly entertaining, a few older movie questions thrown in with more recent (the game came out in 2005, so recent is a relative term). Its a trivial pursuit type game, you move around trying to get your colour in stars, and of course answering questions as you go.

Drop It

Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, hadnt played this for ages. It’s still a great game, Pfisters best (imo)

Lancaster, another lesser known worker placement game, but you get to fight the French. Good game, that doesn’t wear out its welcome.

Biblios, a great filler/light game. With 3p, you draw cards and decide where to put them. You get a card, one is put onto the auction deck, and the last 2 go on the table for the other players. Then, when you’ve gone thru all the cards, you run thru the auction deck and bid for cards. The object is to have the most in points of each colour. But the value for a colour is given by a dice that starts at 3 and can be increased or decreased. The auctioning is always fun. Really, REALLY good game (for its type). My Biblios box is falling apart, not just from use, but because I often take it along to gaming.

Rat-a-Tat Cat