Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

:+1::+1::+1:

I just got home from a storm night of Gloomhaven. Liteally I couldn’t seen the lines on the road due to the rain coming down.

4 players all at level 8 or 9. Scenario level 7. even with messing up and putting more enemies on the board than was required the scenario was relatively easy due to familiarity with the characters and being well prepared.

I retired my Angry Face for the Moon/Ecplipse character. man, I wish I got that character early on, it would have been so much better, but it just wont work with our party composition, so I will look at the other classes but likely re-roll AngryFace after I enhance the cards.
Currently sitting on Prosperity 8! achieved on my retirement so new items available as well.

We are starting to wind down with this game though, going to get a couple of short RPG campaigns in 4-5 sessions each of Dungeon Fantasy (GURPS) and Dark heresy 2nd Edition.
I’ll be playing a slightly chav thief in Dungeon Fantasy, and in Dark heresy 2E, I might break out my Hive World Arbites Film Noir Detective that I wrote 15 pages on for a backstory and information for the GM to ignore.

Games Night last night…

Razzia fun push your luck Auction filler. It’s a variant of Ra which I have never played. Had fun but placed fifth out of five

Carpe Diem Feld’s new game. Several crazy graphic design decisions aside it’s solid. My second favourite Feld after one play (I’ve also played Castles of Burgundy). Won with 95, two points ahead of second. Made 42 of those from fountain (end game) scoring cards.

Downfall of Pompeii It’s a fun screw the other players game in the vein of Survive: Escape from Atlantis. You place your dudes out and then once the volcano gets going you get them out. Won again with 11 escapees to 9-7-7. Well worth a play but not for ~£35 new.

I’m hanging out to play this - havent seen it in stock anywhere

Yeah we had a guy who went to Essen for his burgeoning Boardgame Cafe.

Nice - I’m getting a couple of Essen releases (including Forum Trajanum), but Carpe Diem wasnt on the list

Played Ticket to Ride: New York. It’s been a while since we played a TTR game, and I still enjoy it!

We played Brass: Birmingham. It was a difficult thing to teach, but we started to get the hang of the game on the Railway Era. I think our problem at the Canal Era is that we try to be self-sufficient. So far, I like this game, but not my top economic games. I would need repeating plays of this, like Tzolkin, for me to appreciate it, I guess.

Am I allowed to ask: what are your top economic games? I’m asking because I love Brass and I wonder what I’m missing out on. Food Chain Magnate? (I’ve played that once, didn’t really love it because it seemed too easy to have a runaway victory, but since then I’ve been keen to play more to try out different ideas)

My economic games higher than Brass at the moment would be: Concordia (medium), Tzolkin (heavy), Keyflower (medium), Village (medium), A Feast for Odin (heavy, but I’m more incline to consider it as medium). I only have one game of Clans of Caledonia (heavy), but I like this a lot. I’m more of a mid-weight gamer. :sweat_smile:

Though, Brass: Birmingham still excites me. Same tier in my taste as Lowlands (medium) or Terra Mystica (heavy). It’s just awkward when you’re teaching it to new people, as I’m used to playing with Euros with leaner rules than this.

I have never played Food Chain Magnate. My friend has it. I don’t think I will ever get one, unless I get it hella cheap than brand new.

Must be a terminology problem, I wouldn’t call any of those “economic games”. There’s no economy in most Euros.

Thanks for that reply. But I think perhaps I define ‘economic’ differently. I think of Brass as an economic game, because although it ends up being a VP counting exercise, the way money works is absolutely central to the gameplay. Tzolkin, Keyflower and Terra Mystica (those you mention which I’ve played) seem to me to be not economic exactly.

Just noticed that Benkyo has already said something similar.

Ah cheers for that! I don’t fully understand that terminology.

I’m so excited for carpe diem! I’m getting it for Christmas (someone wanted to get me a game but let me pick it out :slight_smile:

The BGG definition for economic games is:

Economic games encourage players to develop and manage a system of production, distribution, trade, and/or consumption of goods. The games usually simulate a market in some way. The term is often used interchangeably with resource management games.

And they list at least Keyflower as one.

This makes sense, but isn’t what I expected. I guess I’m out of touch.

For me it’s all about simulating a financial market, which Keyflower doesn’t really do. Container is an economic game, as are all those railway games with stocks, shares etc. They tend to be much more fragile than Euros - the players can “break” the economy through irrational play. As always, not everyone shares the same definitions, and that’s fine, but I’ll stick with the one I find most useful!

You’re definitely sharing the definition with the Dice Tower Crew and Rahdo, who made a Top10 economic games together two and a half years ago.
The same discussion came up back then, and it seems I’ve changed my opinion, since I seem to have agree with your definition back then. :wink:
But I’m not completely sold on the bgg definition nowadays, either: Scythe, which I love, doesn’t feel ‘economic’ to me.
Agricola or Caverna do, on the other hand. It really seems to depend very much on your personal concept of ‘economy’.

Sure, I guess it can. As I said though, for me it’s about what the game lets you do. If you can do things like set prices, bid, undercut, take loans, go into debt (some of these are core concepts, but a game with merely bidding and/or “money” wouldn’t qualify), then it’s an economic game, which I know is a pretty narrow definition, but that’s the way I like it. A worker economy or worker placement is a different kind of game.

I agree with Benkyo. Those kinds of euros I would deem resource management, and I guess economic games would be a subset of that (the resource being money, and having special societal rules that have been built up around it). Some non-economic games may have a lot to do with money (thinking of Suburbia) but are ultimately run by other mechanisms.

The reduction of ‘economic’ to having to do with money is what I don’t agree with.
The standard definition of economics includes the production and distribution of goods, which makes games like Agricola, or Terraforming Mars, more eligible than the mere financial aspect.