Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

My daughter received this as a birthday gift from a friend and I see it getting a lot of play after a couple of drinks.
It’s also exceptionally stressful.

I played a couple new games this evening;
Hanamikoji this game is so good! I love it! Excellent two player game.
Fabled Fruit you know what, I really liked this. Fast, easy and colorful might just be good for a rainy afternoon sometimes.
sea of clouds Another one I really enjoyed! This is a great opener.

My best friend brought Quadropolis and Dice Hospital. I had a great time with both. We played Classic with Quadropolis - I know Quinns said not to play with Classic, but we ain’t dancing to your tune, boi - and by Round 3 (out of 4), I saw the magic in this game. I’m keen on trying Expert next time.

Dice Hospital finally arrived, after ACG dropped the flipping ball[1]. It’s not my top Euro, but I had a great time with it.This is a game I would love to own and play again and again, if I still have space in my collection. Maybe I’ll get it after my next wave of purge.

[1]but not as bad as Star Realms KS by White Wizard Games, though

I invited some people over to play Escape Room in a Box: The Werewolf Experiment. There was a good variety of puzzles, none of them terribly opaque, and we had fun collaborating and passing puzzles to one another. I think we four finished in ~45 minutes?

Keeping with the escape room theme, I ran the Unlock! demo then we played The Island of Dr. Goorse 4p. This is the one where people are split into two teams. We had a lot more trouble with this game and got fairly frustrated in places. In particular, because the teams initially couldn’t communicate, it was unclear what we should do with the message they sent us. We ended up using a lot of hints and spent 90 minutes on a 60 minute game.

Because it was getting late, we passed on playing Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and instead played The Grizzled since it was Remembrance Day / Veteran’s Day eve. I haven’t played in a while, so I fumbled through the rules explanation. We played 4p on Rookie mode but still lost. One player, SD, got Frenzied early in the game and drew a lot of cards, including a lot of Hard Knocks late in the game, and we didn’t know to support her sooner. I was Mute for about half game, and people kept making speeches after I withdrew, and I couldn’t point out that there was probably a reason I was usually the first to withdraw.

Had a couple of friends over on Saturday and we got in a rather respectable amount of gaming.

We started with Ethnos, randomly selecting the Wizards, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Giants, and Trolls as the tribes. The first age went pretty well, with everyone getting a foothold in the six regions with some decent sized bands. Most of the cards in the deck had played by the time the third dragon showed up. I think I was in the lead at this point.

The second age did not go so well for me, or anyone really. Mostly because it felt like we only had a handful of turns before all three dragons came out. I know this is not the case, as I set up the deck and had split it evenly after dealing out the starting cards, but most of that half of the deck was remaining when the age ended. My wife did rather well, claiming a lot of regions and winning ties with Troll tokens.

After that, no one trusted my shuffling of the dragon half of the deck, so while I tended to the kids for a minute, my wife shuffled, and one of our friends shuffled more, then offered the deck to his wife to cut, which she did. THEN she cut it two more times, at which point her husband and my wife cried out in despair and claimed that she messed everything up and the dragons were going to all be together again.

To their credit, they were right. :smiley: The last two dragons were right next to each other, and showed up shortly after the first dragon.

My wife hit 116 points, with the rest of us trailing significantly.

Afterwards, we played Flamme Rouge. Things started off a bit rocky when our friend moved her guys onto a hill, which reminded me that slipstreaming does not work on uphills, at which point she started having a bit of a tantrum about wanting to redo her entire move. We compromised on redoing one rider, as not knowing that rule should not have changed her card choice for her first rider, since she couldn’t know what she would draw for her second rider. She somewhat reluctantly accepted this decision. She did apologize later for her outburst and said she didn’t quite know why it upset her so much.

The rest of the game went smoother. She had put her riders in the lead early, so they consistently got exhaustion, while the rest of us got some here and there. Going into the last turns some of our riders had very few cards left, luckily for me I had my highest ones still available. My Rouler managed to burst over the finish line, ending up one space ahead of the sprinters of our friends. My wife brought up the rear with her riders, but only her Rouler didn’t cross the finish line by one space.

Two games of Crossing followed, our first time playing it. It’s a wonderfully quick game that doesn’t require much thought, a perfect palate cleanser between longer, heavier games. Our friends each won one game.

Lastly, we ended the night with Lords of Waterdeep. I started out with an early lead due to some good quests, but after four rounds or so I was trailing everyone else, with my wife way in the lead. One of our friends managed to catch up to her in the endgame, but two quests that matched her lord gave her the win at 132.

Great day overall.

My fiancee and I both took the day off work, so in between eating some Italian pastry and going to the barcade, we visited our FLGS and played a couple games from the demo shelf!

Bärenpark has been on her to-play list for a little while, and we weren’t surprised to find it on the demo shelf. I had watched a runthrough of the game a while ago, and it’s not very complicated, so as she read the rules, I sorted all the tiles that were in a jumbled mess in the box (there weren’t any baggies to organize with) and laid them all out. The game itself appealed more to her than to me; I didn’t have anything like a bad time, and I ended up winning by a little, but it didn’t have the tension of Indian Summer, our go-to polyomino game. There was such a generous dropping of tiles from the game, many of them the small green tiles, that there was never really a question of whether you would be able to fill in your tiles, just how quickly you could do that and score the objectives (and grab high-point bear statues). I wouldn’t say no to playing it again, but Indian Summer beats it soundly in my opinion.

We tried to play Ghost Stories next, but it had too many of some components and too few of other more necessary ones (like the dice), so we put that back and instead grabbed Costa Rica. This was a really fun, really short push-your-luck game where everyone is controlling bands of explorers searching for rare animals to photograph in the jungle. You flip over a tile to see what animals it holds, and you can either claim it and take back your explorer, or pass. But then everyone else in the expedition gets a chance to claim it as well. If everyone passes, you continue on, exploring more tiles, and once somebody claims a tile, they get all of the uncovered tiles. There are also threat tiles, and if you hit two of those, you have to take all the tiles uncovered (except the threat tiles) and leave the expedition. So you’re pushing your luck not only against the game, but against the other players. The last thing, that’s killer, is the board is constantly shrinking as the tiles are getting claimed, so expeditions may get stranded, and you may be able to take all the tiles out from someone else’s nose. I had a lot of fun with such a short and simple game; I was desperate to find a frog to complete my set of every animal, but every time I tried, it wound up being the second threat tile and I would lose it. Meanwhile, one of the expeditions that wasn’t touched until the end had a frog on the very first tile! Would definitely love to play this one again.

Once we were back home, we rounded out with a game of Burgle Bros, the Fort Knox scenario. We coincidentally started on the stairs, so we quickly split up. This game, that we thought was going to be difficult, ended up being a breeze, and that was down almost entirely to the events. They went completely in our favor. The best example of this was when I opened a safe that was in a corner behind a deadbolt and found our least favorite loot, the gold bars. We groaned as we realized my fiancee would have to come back through the deadbolt, way out of her way, to come pick up the other gold bar. That is, until I drew an event on the same turn that made me pass all of my tools and loot to her automatically. Well, not going to argue with that! She gets one gold bar, and I’m sitting on the other one, so I just pick that one up! After that, opening the other safes and escaping was cake.

First play of Teotihuacan. Board game savant scored 235, second place 221 and I scored 132.

At the end of the first eclipse I had 75 points. Then I got no resources and forgot the temple tracks. The others were far more efficient in stockpiling and building pyramids with low value workers.

Bottom line: loved it, I wil absolutely get that to the table as often as I can.

Pie Face is, indeed, exceptionally stressful. My younger son won’t play it properly because of that.

But it’s kind a no-real-loser situation! You can press your luck and win, or you can get a smack of whipped cream in the mouth. I see no downsides.

(Also I continually lost EVERY SINGLE TURN, much to the amusement of my son and my mom, which was worth the price on the box alone. Hearing them laugh uproariously at my embarrassment made that one of the best purchases I’ve ever made, and I got some tasty whipped cream. Although, I did have to take more time than I’d like cleaning my glasses.)

Board game night at the office last night, and we all played our first ever round of Terraforming Mars. For me it was good stuff, I liked the theme and there was a definite point where it all clicked for me and I understood the engine I was trying to build there, though the research phase wasn’t kind to me so I got a bit screwed on the plant-growing cards, really hurt my end score.

Another of our group, rather hyperbolically, said that he found this to me more complex and confusing than Twilight Imperium. I’m not too sure about that.

But it was fun! I’m hoping we have a chance for another round sometime soon.

I can see where he is coming from. TI is a big game but with (kind of) simple rules that are scattered and disconnected. Euro games are like interlocking systems. One my my friends said that Village is a heavy game. That’s because he end up calculating so much information in this open information game.

Ahem. I like Munchkin.

I like the Star Wars prequels. But there’s an honesty vs reputation trade-off, which is normally enough to keep these heresies quiet.

I thought the plot of Attack the Clones was excellent. Then the C3PO headswap moment happened…

Tangent alert.

Played Lords of Waterdeep with my 7yo. He scored 115, I scored 158. He played brilliantly in his first game. Can’t wait to play it with him again.

I think Twilight Imperium is more Daunting than complex. because everyone is like "oh man this game takes ALL DAY to play! you think its going to be super super heavy. when as LaLunaVerde said, its more disparate systems for each phase kind of stickytaped together into the gloriousness that is TI (played one game loved it was exhausted).

Where I find Terraforming Mars to be more more internal focused as you rarely are interacting with others so you don’t need to keep track of what they are doing, but what you have to consider has much more immediate and then longer term impact on your overall game. its much more “hmm, what about, hmmm.” type of game compared to TI’s “Oh you bastard! I was hoping you wouldn’t see that move.”

Munchkin is not a bad game. I’m getting a little miffed about people who down it. It’s FINE.

It’s not Shakespeare, but it sure the hell isn’t Monopoly.

It’s not a great game, but it’s good enough, and Jackson deserves a little respect for his decades in the industry.

I’ve had fun with it, and so have my friends.

(Full disclosure: I have an undying hatred of Monopoly, I apologize to anyone here who didn’t already know that, and I respect your opinion if you disagree. But you are still wrong if you do).

Munchkin is at least fun the first time you play it. When you start thinking about it or consider notions of “trying to win” in your second play it starts showing it’s true colours.

The problem is to complain that the game isnt good because it doesn’t do what you want misses the fact it does do completely what it sets out to do.

Monopoly is fine. It’s too easy to dunk on it but given that it’s a game that started as a satire on the nonsense terrible reality when ownership is consolidated to a tiny minority of people and the unmeritocratic way that can happen then monopoly is pretty damn good at that too.

I should probably note that I have never played, and probably will never play Munchkin, and I wasn’t really dissing it. I do stand by my observation (and would like to draw attention to the qualifier “tend”).

For me the core problem with Munchkin is both the length and the unpredictability of the length. If it were reliably a half-hour game I’d probably get it out reasonably often. But when it’s usually about an hour, and without too much trouble can get to 2-3 hours, it outstays its welcome here. I wonder whether simply putting a time limit on it would be sensible.

I find the way that the endgame tends to be “A is going to win; everyone else burns resources to prevent it. B is going to win; everyone else burns resources to prevent it. C is going to win; everyone else has run out of resources, so C does win” is unsatisfying both to losers and to winner.

Unpopular opinion: I would put munchkin and Inis in the same range. The first half of both games is fun and exciting as everyone builds towards the finale. The second half is a dull series of stab-the-leader as every play is counter-played until finally a random player happens to make a move and everyone else has run out of answers.

I got started in modern board gaming with Munchkins, so theres that. It was fun at first.

Then we played a single game that took most of the day. I think I decided then that there must be better games out there, and hey - I was right!

Had a friend that still wanted to play it, even after that day.