Home Videos Games Podcastle

Your Last Played Game

2nd edition. I never played the first. I can see why someone would pick the first over the second. For me and my group the second edition is a blast every time!

Arkham horror 3th edition is the first board game I’m actually hyped for. I can’t wait to get my hands on it! Does it compare to the second at all?

I’ve got all the 2nd edition stuff, Investigators, monster figures and all that crap. I have wonderful memories of it, but yeah, this feels like a necessary revamp. It was baggy and overlong… when it works it’s almost unbeatable for creating memorable moments and genuine dread. 3rd feels almost like a fusion of the 2nd edition and a narrative heavy Pandemic variant. It zips along, but doesn’t lose the horror atmosphere like Eldritch Horror did.

I won’t be getting rid of 2nd edition, but it looks to just stay a once a year epic.

Last Sunday, played a 3-player game of Terraforming Mars in (I felt like I was doing well, but tied for 3rd in a 3-player game, and lost with the tie-breaker). Then had another play of Milestones, which is a really underrated Stefan Dorra game.

A co-worker who volunteered at SHUX had snagged a copy of the DC Comics Deckbuilding Game and we’ve played it 3 times now. It’s a fun little game, though I keep getting crushed.

I much prefer Legendary, though.

Gloomhaven , another long slog. Some of the length was my fault, I retired my character last week, so had to pick cards for a new level 3 character. Very different play style, and not one that I really felt comfortable with. We completed the scenario successfully (and I didn’t think we were going to), but I “died” 3 times (having to discard a card to prevent damage from killing me. I think it was the first time any of us have had to do that. Not sure if I’ll stick with the character.

New class was Inox Berzerker, who does more damage when he’s at low health. Bit tricky to play.

Ancestree X 2, a filler-ish game (by Eric Lang, no less). Its a tile layer, where each tile can have heritage (one of five), leaves (which you match to other tiles), hearts (for marrying to other tiles), and coins (victory points!). Not every tile will have all of these. Gameplay is simple – draw 6 tiles, play 1 and draft the rest, discard the very last card (so you’re playing 5 tiles). Then you see who has the longer heritage line in each of the five families, and you get points for that (depending on round). You get 1 point in the first round, 2 in the second, 3 in the third and last. Also, coins get added in after each round.

And at the end, you get points for any marriages you have in your tableau. Its a quick playing, decent looking game. The heritage is shown by a symbol and a colour, so you can easily look across the table to see how many of a particular type another player may have. If you tie on heritage, no one gets any points.

Rat-a-tat Cat X 2, definitely a very light, family oriented game. But still pretty good fun. You start with 4 cards, with values from 0 thru 9. You place them in a row, and you get to look at your two outside cards. On your turn you either draw a new card, or pickup from the discard pile. Then, you can swap that card with one of yours. Its push your luck, so you can swap with an inner card you may not have seen yet. There are special cards that allow you to draw more cards (basically an extra turn), swap cards with someone else, and peek at one of your facedown cards. If you feel like you have the lowest total of your four cards, you signal this (by tapping on the table and saying “Rat-a-tat”), everyone else gets another turn, and then you flip everything over to get your score, and you want the lowest score. You play over several rounds (we did four) and keep a running total. Just simple, good fun, enjoyed it.

Gizmos , the new game from Phil Walker Harding (Cacao, Imhotep, Barenpark). The game looks great – you have to make the “energy dispenser”, which holds the coloured balls of each colour. It has a line of 6 or 7 that can be picked from. On your turn, you can grab a gizmo from the display area (and either build it immediately, or file it away in your archive area to activate later). You can also pick a ball from the dispenser, or research cards (you draw cards from one of the decks and select one to build/file). Each Gizmo has a category, from power convertors (from one colour to another), upgrades (so you can hold more balls, file more Gizmos, or research more), pick triggers (if you pick colour X, you get something), or build triggers (if you build colour X, you get something).

The display area is made up of 4 level one Gizmos, 3 level 2s, and 2 level 3s. The higher level Gizmos are harder to make, but worth more in points. The game is over when someone builds their 16th Gizmo, or their 4th level 3 Gizmo.

The game has been compared to Splendor, and I sort of get that. Its way more interesting tho, in my opinion. I may have to buy my own copy of this one.

Now Boarding , a cooperative game of running an airline. It seems easy enough, all you have to do is pick up passengers, move your plane, and drop them off at their desired destination. Some routes can be used by anyone, others have a logo matching the players plane, and only they can use that. You can upgrade your plane by adding more seats (obviously allowing you to hold more passengers), more engines (can travel further), route upgrades (to allow you to move along the special routes).

You have a deck of passengers for morning, afternoon and evening, with more and more passengers being added each round. Also, weather can affect the routes – either a storm (which adds another point to a route), and tailwinds, which removes a point from a route (making it faster).

So, its all pretty easy sounding, right? Well, it would be, except the player movement and actions are done in real time. You flip up the new passengers (so you can see where they are going), then flip the hourglass. For 2-3 players, the hourglass is only 15 seconds, and you’re going to need every second. You need to coordinate with the other players to be as efficient as you can, you don’t have the speed to cross the entire country.

And if people aren’t picked up, they get anger cubes, and too many of those makes them leave and file a complaint. And too many complaints, and the game is lost.

It was pretty stressful to play. You can plan a bit (“ok, I’ll grab this passenger and take them here, so you can pick them up and deliver them to X”). But the new passengers added are facedown, so you know which airport they are getting picked up from, but not where they’re going (until the timer is started).

Any passengers you do drop off at their desired city give you money, which can then be used to upgrade (seats, engine, route).

We got most of the way thru the evening passengers, but we knew we were pretty stuffed. We were frantically picking passengers with multiple anger cubes, but having to drop them off anywhere, not the right place.

It was pretty challenging, we obviously didn’t coordinate enough. Good fun still!

The Mind – level 8, not too shabby

@bortmonkey you might want to spoiler tag that Gloomhaven class name.

I love that class! It’s a total boss-killing machine and was so much fun to play. It may be that it’s the other party members that need to make adjustments?

I recently played Now Boarding. I liked it quite a bit, would definitely love to play it again, but one thing I didn’t like was the fact that in this fully co-op game, some people were just going to have better planes. I was poor throughout and only managed to scrounge together enough for a few upgrades, whereas another player had more money than she could use, and wasn’t allowed to lend me any of it. And of course, if you make more money at the beginning, that gives you a better plane, which allows you to make more money, for a better plane, etc. Maybe I’m just bitter though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just finished a game of The Estates with my friends - it’s incredibly mean! But we enjoyed it so much that we immediately started a second round. The rules are really straightforward so teaching the game was short and sweet, and the game flows at such a quick pace. Only one of the six rows we built (between two games) scored positive points - I came in second both games, but I was about 40 points behind first place in that second game :sweat_smile:

Yesterday at my post-Essen solo micro-convention:

Realm of Sand, feels like the strategy from Splendor but a much more interesting set of tactics. I think it’ll be better multi-player though.

V-Commandos, the three training missions. Once the alarm goes off, it all gets very bad very fast. As it should!

Renegade, where have you been all my gaming life? It should just be an abstract game but the language actually makes it feel thematic.

My FLGS didn’t get it, neither did they get Teothiuacan and that makes me sad. Soon, I hope.

I was so jealous of your Reykholt time, that I forgot to post that I solo’d Nusfjord with the plaice deck (and the lovely shiny new metal coins) and managed to score 41 points! Some lovely buildings helped me on the way; Boat Rental (1W, 1F, 1G) which lets you rent out two boats - you don’t score them at the end of the game, so you can keep your haul size ticking over, and Farm (can’t remember the cost) which sores you 3 points per empty orthogonally adjacent space. If you place it right, it gets you 8VP, I played it to squeeze another 6 out. Some lovely buildings in there, cannot wait to try it again with another configuration.

I need to learn Nusfjord so I can bring it to the table at some point :o

I have to noted though. That Reykholt is one of Uwe’s lighter games, so peeps shouldnt expect something like an Icelandic Agricola

Played (and finally won) my favourite game today, Time of Crisis. This is a magnificent game based on the 3rd century Roman Empire where you’re trying to become emperor and stay there long enough to earn enough points to win.

I did a review of it and I love it to death.

And then managed to get a new game played, Reef, before I had to leave. A nice little abstract game. I’m not gonzo for it, but I’d like to play it again. Trying for card combinations to build your reef of plastic pieces and then score certain patterns of them.

Fun day overall!

Gloomhaven: Getting the impression that 4 players runs too long. We’re still just barely winning though, so we can’t really speed up either. Still good, but…

Netrunner: Three matches for the first time using my own cards. Good games, happy with the purchase, but already wondering how balanced the match-ups against players with all the cards can possibly be…

Escape: Two chaotic 6-player games. Very nearly escaped the second time, but hampered by a player who clearly had no idea what was going on. Still, the game works well regardless - win or lose, we had fun.

Innovation: Another crazy 2-player game with two expansions, and a 4-player team game. Probably the most fun I had all day.

Dominion: Gave my new player mats and the revised base set a run, got schooled by an expert. Very interesting.

Tash-Kalar: Short, punchy match. I do like this game, but I also wonder if the only match-up I really enjoy is red vs. blue, because that’s the only one that we have the level of competence at that I see as a baseline? I mean, I enjoyed the win, but for me it would be more fun if I thought that we were both actually looking at patterns and anticipating what our opponent was going for…

Yeah, there is definitely that problem with Netrunner. After cycle three or so, there was massive power creep in all areas. It can only be balanced with the same/similar card pools, and that can be a hassle to organise for people who own everything.

Even with similar pools, people who knows the game to tournament level will likely be able to pick out the strong (potentially OP) cards with no significant ‘response card’ to oppose it. It’s very difficult to balance if you’re playing against someone who knows what they’re doing. It relies so much on equal player opposition that is quite sensitive to imbalance of player skill. It’s greatest strength is it’s greatest weakness!

Well, to be fair I did win 2/3, and the one I lost we both agreed was mostly down to bad luck, so I’m tempted to conclude that my own skill somewhat compensates for only owning the pre-power creep cards. I wasn’t aware that the power creep could be termed “massive” though, that’s a bit worrying. (For reference, I basically only have the base and four deluxe boxes, excluding R&R and TD).

There’s some significant synergy to be made with the later cards, but you’d notice if you were playing against them - they’re no fun at all to play against. I wouldn’t say it’s worrying, just something to be aware of. Shouldn’t be too much of an issue with casual play.

Netrunner used to boast about how it didn’t need any erratas or post-release role modifications, but eventually the ban list and errata did make it’s way in the scene for this reason.

Gloomhaven at 4 players can be a drag without the right people who are constantly switched on about whats happening (learning the system is fine to be slow with). but I agree it can be a bit slow, 3 player is the ideal player count for the game I think. It keeps the game length short enough while covering enough of the skills bases to be considered a very competent group.

We just started with a permanent 4th and our previous attempts have been less than successful. This time its working out well though.
Got another session planned for Thursday. Couldn’t play on the weekend due to PAX Aus.

Played Clans of Caledonia for the first time, and, oh my, I think I might like this more than Terra Mystica. CoC has contracts (which I do love) and a dynamic market. Ugh. I want to play this again.

Hmm… I’ll keep both for now. This is gonna be a hard decision

Don’t make fun of me, but I last played Small World. I know it’s not liked by everyone but I really enjoy it and I’ve had a load of fun with a few different groups.

I love when a new combination comes up and everyone starts eyeing it up. It’s also really good at just getting everyone crammed in and having little fights. But because you pick several different races, no is bitter about being attacked.

It also looks lovely. So many kickstarters these days come with mechs and models and metal coins and Small World feels so PREMIUM with just cardboard. I think it’s because everything is chunky and the art is so characterful.

It’s also quick. The rules explanations can be done in 5 minutes, and I love how each turn is mechanically similar, just with decisions to make.

Really love this game and don’t understand the ‘it’s just ok’ feeling many have about it.

Also played Pictomania which went down well, but needs to be played with a bigger group, I think (we played with 3). It also got REALLY hard. Will defiantly be getting this out again.

I have played this sooo many times in my mobile. I sold mine off, but I used to eye up the expansions to see all the races and special abilities, and the various combinations.

Small World is fine. Now, if you had played Monopoly…