Home Videos Games Podcastle

You know what grinds my gears?

Ranting thread, remember the community guidelines.

You know what grinds my gears? When u set up an evening to play board games starting about 9 o’clock, and people turn up expecting to order pizza. IT’S 9 PM, COOK YOURSELF FOOD AND EAT IT BEFORE COMING OVER! THEN I DON’T HAVE TO WASH UP YOUR PLATES THE NEXT DAY!

You know what grinds my pears? Wait don’t say that or they’ll catch onYOU KNOW WHAT REALLY GRINDS MY GEARS? That feeling of having lost something even though I’ve checked under the table three times for any missing pieces.

Also, by the time you get your pizza, eat your pizza, wash your filthy greasehands, no that’s not good enough, go back and do it properly, it’s at least 10:30. So little game time left!

1 Like

Chinese food - with Chopsticks!!! is the answer

I swear, sometimes organising evening game sessions after work is like herding cats!

Ben can’t do Wednesdays ever, because of hockey training - so how about we play Thursday this week?’ ‘Nope busy Thursday’ ‘Sorry busy’ ‘Ok let’s try Tuesday then’ ‘I can only do Mondays and Wednesdays’ ‘Ok Monday, who’s up for that?email silenceOk it’s Friday now, so if we’re committing to Monday now would be a good time to say so’ ‘I now can’t do this Monday’ ‘Ok anyone else ok for Monday?email silenceOk now it’s Monday, who is up for staying still? I thought we had at least 3 of us?’ ‘The other person is off sick today, but she might be back tomorrow, how about that?’

Cries

Aside from the above…
- people who don’t indicate (obviously they’re too cool for school)
- people who tailgate (in such a hurry to be one car further up the line of traffic)
- people who are only able to talk about themselves (the art of conversation is dead)
- ignorant people (it doesn’t cost you anything to say thanks you know)
- people who are busy looking at their phones when they should be listening to the rules explanation of a new game, then have to ask loads of questions
- fools

Cor, this is cathartic…Im sure there is more…hang on it’ll come to me…

1 Like

my personal angst to add to this sea of fury is people who embody all of the worst ‘geek’ stereotypes, and make it that much harder for a socially and morally normal person like me to be accepted for who I am (a certified meeple-pusher).

plus they smell.

I have a real gripe with the act of shifting from fourth to third on a manual transmission without fully depressing the clutch.

2 Likes

Every time a new smartphone gets announced or goes on sale this happens:

This guy: “Oh, you have a yPhone?

That guy: “Yeah, it’s great.”

This guy: “Great if you like oppression and overblown hype. For those of us who value freedom and aren’t idiots, only the FandroidFone running the Pickle-Weed 4.0 mobile OS from Scroogle will do.”

That guy: “FandroidFone? Bah! We yPhone owners are part of a customer-centric global brand: Crapple. Crapple seamlessly blends synergistic international sub-lingual marketing paradigms, devices made from durable materials that never break, like steel and…glass, and minimalistic Bauhaus-inspired stores that confuse the hell out of anybody over the age of 30. Plus U2 will play at my kid’s birthday party. For free!”

The other guy: “Hey, I own a Blingdows phone which is better than both of yours cause it’s got a cinema quality camera and a home screen that has a radically new way to present a grid of small squares. It presents them as rectangles. Also, we have our own white walled, wooden floored stores popping up everywhere too so bite it fanboys!”

Please. Phone people. It’s only a phone. If you want to argue amongst yourselves you may, but do it where nobody else has to listen to you.

3 Likes
I swear, sometimes organising evening game sessions after work is like herding cats!

Try https://doodle.com/dashboard … works nicely for most of the people I play with. Except for those two that never EVER fill in when they have time. But if your people fill it out it should be easy to find a day where you can set up and then get a call “Oh, it was today? I totally forgot…”

Try https://doodle.com/dashboard … works nicely for most of the people I play with. Except for those two that never EVER fill in when they have time. But if your people fill it out it should be easy to find a day where you can set up and then get a call “Oh, it was today? I totally forgot…”

Cool thanks! I think I'll try this out! :)

You know what really grinds my gears? My complete and utter inability to do basic DIY.

(off topic I know, but putting up shelving unit/cabinet has really stressed me out)

Important note: it may be considered sexist, but I can’t help but point out that it most often happens with women playing :slight_smile: (based on my experience)

It really grinds my gears when…
We struggle for the survival of the remains of the Twelve Colonies, another big Cylon wave has just spawned, we are being overrun, the FTL drive is not ready, the centurion boarding party is advancing towards the bridge, we sit quiet looking for options… and suddenly… in the silence of space… you can actually hear a loud whisper…
“I chose the brown handbag because it fits better with the shoes”
“And I would pick green, the brown doesn’t look good with my black dress”

…and then I cry…

I have a real gripe with the act of shifting from fourth to third on a manual transmission without fully depressing the clutch.

With you 100%. Also fine sand and grit in my camera parts and remote control cars. Wears out parts that cost me hundreds of dollars way earlier than their normal lifespan, when I just wanted to have a photoshoot or RC race at the beach. More insidious than saltwater for electronics with moving parts, imho.

Important note: it may be considered sexist, but I can't help but point out that it most often happens with women playing :) (based on my experience)

It really grinds my gears when…
We struggle for the survival of the remains of the Twelve Colonies, another big Cylon wave has just spawned, we are being overrun, the FTL drive is not ready, the centurion boarding party is advancing towards the bridge, we sit quiet looking for options… and suddenly… in the silence of space… you can actually hear a loud whisper…
“I chose the brown handbag because it fits better with the shoes”
“And I would pick green, the brown doesn’t look good with my black dress”

…and then I cry…

Personal experience: Yeah, kind of sexist, but not like super-sexist. Does not always happen with girls. Guys do this with picking things that seem badass, regardless of practicality.

Ranting thread, remember the community guidelines.

You know what grinds my gears? When u set up an evening to play board games starting about 9 o’clock, and people turn up expecting to order pizza. IT’S 9 PM, COOK YOURSELF FOOD AND EAT IT BEFORE COMING OVER! THEN I DON’T HAVE TO WASH UP YOUR PLATES THE NEXT DAY!

My friends do that, but they eat the Pizza directly from the boxes, so there’s no plates to wash up. If only they took the empty boxes down to my recycling, I’d be sorted.

YKWRGMG? Slow slow turns and people who only like the game while they are winning it. Oh and most of all; when someone introduces you to a tabletop game like star wars d20 and then chooses his well practice optimised team before giving anyone else a choice,then proceeds to introduce rules when it suits him. God, it makes me angry just thinking about it! Almost made one of our sensitive gamers cry, could have punched the guy running it. Still could to this day as his gamer crimes are so vast and multiple.

YKWRGMG? People who play games vendetta style…If you attack me I’m going to haunt you all day. And they do… I still have fun but people, these are games and they’re meant to be played and enjoyed.

Yanno what grinds my damn gears?
Playing with people who only seem to enjoy the game when they are winning it.
I know a cat who throws his cards and pouts when losimg at netrunner, but gloats and can barely contain himself when it comes up W’s. Another cat straight sold his cards and now bounce around other games, dissatisfied, but able to pull W’s with his cheese internet decks.
That’s another thing. It grinds my gears to be in an environment where stagnation is acceptible. Sure, it’s one thing to find your stride and stick close to that. It’s another thing entirely to build one deck, refuse to tweak it, and complain mercilessly when the meta shifts against you.

Ya know what grinds me gears?

I am not that picky. Sure, I’ll help punch out your new game. Sure, I’ll give it a go. Sure, I’ll even expect that your rules explanation won’t be as polished as it could be. But please, pretty please, I beg you, at least READ them before you turn up! I mean COME ON.