Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Got an Oculus Quest VR headset, so tonight I’ve been shooting spaceships, shooting robots, and playing Ping Pong

2 Likes

Is it your first VR headset? They’re great fun (I’ve had a Rift for a couple of years), but as it’s now getting hotter, I’m using mine less; when I sweat, the lenses fog up and it usually takes 10-15 minutes to resolve itself.

Myself, I’m in the last hour or so of the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided DLC “A Criminal Past”. The previous DLCs were very much more of the same, but “A Criminal Past” shows that the devs can also do environments other than office buildings and research labs. It’s the first time since I started playing Mankind Divided that I’ve felt sad that there isn’t going to be any more Deus Ex by this team any time soon.

I have been thinking of getting a Quest for a while now. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it!

Frostpunk! Played enough This War of Mine, so I thought I’d have a change and play a city building game where everyone freezes or starves to death instead…

5 Likes

Its been pretty amazing so far. Its all self contained, so you can move around as much as you like (well, you have to tell the headset what your area is, they recommend at least 2m X 2m). The controllers are fantastic - you can point and grab things. Theres a tutorial where you get to play around with handling various items. I loved this - they had toy rockets where you pick it up, then use your other hand to pull an attached string, and the rocket goes flying off.

Played a few of the games, finally got to play Beat Saber, after hearing so much about it. And its brilliant fun. I think my favourite game so far is Space Pirate Trainer, where you get to gun down various enemies, while ducking their incoming fire.

2 Likes

I picked up Cadence of Hyrule and I am really enjoying it. I liked the concept of Crypt of the Necrodancer, but bounced off the roguelike elements of it.

This is very much the “easy” version of the game, with a fun Zelda overworld. My wife and I are playing co-op and we’re having a blast.

2 Likes

Beat Saber uses VR brilliantly. It’s simple to understand but still challenging as a game, and it works practically perfectly on the Quest. (I have had the occasional dropped note when the blocks are to the sides, but nothing that would come even close to ruining the game.)

I do hope that they’ll bring Google Earth VR to the Quest. It’s still one of my favourite things on the Rift, and I don’t think it should be too hard on the hardware. There’s something magical about having the whole world at your fingertips and being able to fly over the place you’ve just been on holiday or where you grew up as a kid. (Not all of the world is available in actual 3D; some places are just 2D textures. I’m lucky in that much of my country is in Google Earth in glorious 3D, but I’d expect that people whose first experience of it is pancake textures will be less impressed.)

On a different note, I’ve just started playing Undertale, and my first impression is a bit meh. Obviously I need to play more of it, but I’m also wondering if some of the game’s immediate charm comes from how it evokes certain old console-specific games of the kind that I never played because I grew up with a Commodore 64, followed by an Amiga and then PC. Still, I’ve not played more than perhaps an hour or so.

And after finishing the Spider-Man DLC (okay but underwhelming - I prefer Spidey stories when they’re more personal, and that’s lacking compared to the main game) I’m finally playing God of War on PS4. I’m enjoying the change from the testosterone fest of the older GoW games and I’m curious to see where this one will go.

1 Like

Yes, yes, and all the yes.

1 Like

I’m still hoping this will come to other formats like PS4 or Switch.
My laptop would probably run it but I’m trying to move away from gaming on it since I got my consoles.

What convinced you to make the change to consoles? I’ve considered getting a Switch, but so far nothing has managed to tempt me away from my laptop.

2 Likes

Personally with the Switch, it was having a device that both me and my partner could use. Or if one of was watching tv the other could load up a game. I’ve also used it on trains and away from home, which is just great.

When I use my laptop I plug it into my tv with a HDMI cable, using an Xbox 360 controller. Although this set up meant I could play a lot of fantastic PC games usually bought on some kind of deal, it was a bit of a faff.

2 Likes

I’ve updated by Skyrim Special Edition to the lastest SKSE and all of the mods in my load order. My setup uses 805 active plugins. I’ll probably write up an evaluation of the new Vorkii perks at some point.

Playing through the Onigashima event in Fate Grand Order. Did all of the stuff to get my welfare servant Rider Sakata Kintoki. I did not spend any quartz on the banner.

Casually, playing through Final Fantasy XIV.

We are about to release a series of quality of life balance changes for Morrowind meant to be played with OpenMW and a video explaining the changes.

1 Like

Finished up the Batman: Return to Arkham: Arkham Asylum and have moved on to Arkham City. I may need to dig out my PS3 to replay Arkham Origins afterward, as I remember liking the story to that one the best out of the Arkham series, even if the controls were a bit janky at times.

2 Likes

I bounced of RDR2 pretty hard as well. They went a little to “cowboy-sim” for my tastes. Everything takes SO DAMN LONG!

As for my own gaming, Ive jumped back into Pokemon Ultra Sun (when I want to chill on the couch), and Warframe (PS4). I never played it a ton, so I never really know what I’m doing, but it’s still a lot of fun.

The last few days of mostly been Spider-Man, as I was able to grab it for cheap during the E3 sale on Amazon. It’s far from an innovative game (very much an open-world game from a few years ago), and i don’t think it looks amazing (probably because its such a large expansive city), but it s a lot of fun. Swinging through the city is a blast, and the combat is a straight-up Arkham clone, but those were fun so i’m ok with it.

1 Like

I played through those too, just around the holidays. grabbed them on PS4 for less than $10.

I never played Origins or Knight. I’ve heard Origins was pretty good, but unloved because it wasn’t Rocksteady (so it was panned because…the internet!!!). I might try and grab it, if its on PS4 (my PS3 is gone, and the drive was toast anyways).

I want to try Knight, but I’ve heard that the driving was a pain.

The driving in Knight isn’t THAT bad, it was just the cramming in of the Batmobile for a number of objectives and Riddler challenges that actually rankled after a time.

1 Like

I’ve got Bloodstained downloading and I’m home with nothing left to do for the afternoon.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I think that Arkham Knight is one of those games that benefit from all the negativity to some extent, because once you’ve adjusted your expectations it’s actually quite a nice surprise. There are flaws, but much of it is as strong and solid as the other games in the series.

1 Like

I really want to pick this up, but can’t justify $40+ right now.

I was in the same boat, but when I noticed I had almost $20 in my PSN wallet, I had to leverage a trade-in at EB. I wasn’t likely going to be able to grab it until August, but knocking my out-of-pocket costs down to about $12 “forced my hand”.