Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Just finished the final season of The Walking Dead.

Soon I might stop crying…

Decided to marathon it to the end of RDR2.

In a way i was happy to see theres an epilogue, but i did think “oh God there’s more!!!”. Maybe next weekend…

I’ve been running a dedicated server in Ark: Survival Evolved, just me, my brother, and a mate - with all the settings figuratively turned up to 11 on the Ragnarok map.
And my god. It’s crazy the amount of fun we’re having.
We’ve clocked up at least 200hours, and we’ve still got loads of Dino’s we’ve never even seen, we’re nowhere near Tek level yet - and still have all of the DLC to play through.

I imagine the game would be a nightmare in public PvP, but on a private PvE server - it’s a really fun game.

From what I hear, public PvP is that.

One of my gf’s friends got her hooked on Crusader Kings 2 then Stellaris, so I jumped back into the latter so we can talk about it and eventually play together. Last time I played, it was v1.1 or v1.2. Now it’s v2.2.6, and it took me some time to unlearn some things but mostly relearn how to play competently. Two AI just declared war on me, but because hyperlanes is the only movement method without advanced technology, my border with them is a single chokepoint system with a pulsar that disrupts all shields, protected by a starbase full of armor and anti-armor lasers. Will you walk into my parlour, said the spider to the fly…

I’m knee deep into retro-gaming. Well, it’s only Super Mario Kart (the first and only one), but still. All of this because people at my company started a tournament and that I intend to win it.

I’m stuck with Android gaming in a way I never have been before, and I find it really restrictive. Any recommendations?

For reference, the games I’ve played that don’t suck so much are:
Pixel dungeon - smart roguelike with an interface that actually works. Unfortunately I’ve beaten it too many times now.
Hearthstone - solo mode only (no guarantee l can finish a match before babies demand my attention)
Twilight Struggle - AI is too easy, but see above.
Through the Ages - asynchronous, so not always playing. Solo challenges finished.
Card crawl/card thief - both “finished”
Hoplite - “finished”
Night of the full moon - “finished”
Castles of Burgundy - weak AI, not really my kind of game.
Galaxy Trucker - realtime makes it hard to play in bursts

I really enjoyed playing Banner Saga 1 and 2 on mobile, if you’re looking for a tactical game with a neat story. Final Fantasy games on mobile now, which are good for nostalgia and have lots of content. Also Knights of the Old Republic. And Baldur’s Gate I and II, Icewind Dale, and Torment: Tides of Numinera. Full games now accessible in the palm…

I play a lot of RPGs, so that’s all I have experience to recommend, but these have a lot more meat than the standard mobile fare.

They’re all pay apps though, and usually more expensive than the standard ones (which may or may not matter to you).

I’ve played all of them on PC already, except for the Banner Saga, which I have been wary of. The description of the combat does not sound appealing. Worth a punt though, perhaps…

No, the combat isn’t great. I’m a sucker for story, so I pushed through to see what happens. No regrets there.

I appreciate a good story, but unless the medium of games is being used well in the telling of it, I’d prefer to be reading a book. Don’t make me grind to get to the story, integrate the two! Like uh… Invisible Inc. You can get entertaining stories from each mission, as well as the overall story arc not sucking. I suppose if I put cRPGs and Roguelikes on the same spectrum, I generally prefer Roguelikes unless the cRPG story is very good indeed.

Anyway. Android games. Any other recommendations anyone?

Tragically, no. There are a small handful of games I play on my iPad that, if they have Android releases, are pretty good: Meteorfall, Solitairica, Guild of Dungeoneers, Galaxy Trucker, Star Realms.
(Galaxy Trucker should have an option to make the game turn-based for building… it’s actually pretty good)

The Kingdom Rush series is pretty acceptable. Micro-payments suck, but they’re all for unnecessary stuff.

I have literally no games on my Android (well… no “real” games. I have a bunch of board game related apps, but not full games). And what I really want (I’ll tell you what I want, what I really really want) is a new version of Advanced Wars. The same heart, the same art, the same gosh-darn game on my current phone. That’s what I want. “Big Little Wargame” and it’s sequels are the closest that have come out, and they can’t hold a candle to AW.

Cultist Simulator was just realized on Android (not sure about iPad) and, if it’s anything like the PC version, is super addictive.

Good call. It’s realtime though, right? (sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer, circumstances mean I really can’t play anything realtime right now)

My games of the moment are:
Stardew Valley.
Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley
Stardew Valley
I might have a problem.

Me too! For the third time, I now own it on PC and switch, but a recent stay in hospital meant I only had my phone, so…

I would add Motorsport Manager Mobile to the list, if you are interested in motorsport, that is!

Had to refund Guild of Dungeoneers. Not a single interesting decision to be made in the first 30 mins. Maybe just a very long tutorial, but it seemed like it would be more of the same with bigger numbers forever.

Cultist Simulator seems interesting, and it’s freely pausable so I should be able to play it, thanks!

@Benkyo I would give Slay the Spire a shot if you Guild of Gungeoneers isn’t for you. Much superior game in my opinion and has the same elements done much better.

If you want a great dungeon crawler then Darkest Dungeon is fantastic.

I love Slay the Spire (currently at ascension 20/20/19, that’s how much I’ve played it), but I’m specifically looking for Android games, because I haven’t managed to find a spare minute to sit in front of my PC for weeks.

I did play Darkest Dungeon to conclusion, but I think it is a bad game (atmosphere, graphic design, etc. is great, but mechanically I think it is really flawed).

OK, Cultist Simulator was entertaining. Mechanically dull, but nicely made, nicely written, and the uncertainty and experimentation made for an interesting experience. Having now ascended on my third try, and not being too excited about doing it again, but harder, in the new game+, what’s next?

Maybe Banner Saga, unless someone else has a good Android suggestion?

(Cultist Simulator is not a short game, but I spent so very many long, lonely nighttime hours monitoring milk levels in babies…)

Personally I quite liked the Banner Saga and thought the story and setting were great, but again it did feel a bit mechanically dull. The combat which is a fairly large chunk of the game wasn’t the most inspired, but not bad enough to stop me from playing.

I’d give it a 7/10 due to the worldbuilding.