Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Finally grabbed and started God of War. Only a couple hours in, but the hype is earned. Man that game is good.

So I decided to try out Realm Royale which I think(?) I enjoyed but maybe battle royale thingos aren’t for me. I did enjoy it more than my attempts at PUBG and Fortnite - the semi fantasy-ness of it makes it more approachable to me than the guns guns guns of the others.

On the back of that I thought that maybe I should check out Paladins now that it’s out on Switch. I haven’t bit the bullet to pay for it (I’ll probably wait until the free version comes, which is apparently soon) but tried out the PC version. I am an Overwatch player so it was familiar but refreshingly different. I liked it enough that I think I’ll play some more evenings of it this week.

Oh, and I bought Invisible Inc. as it was $5 on sale and yes! I knew this would be my thing and it is. I love XCOM and I just played Tim Fower’s Burgle Bros. this weekend too so it was very fitting!

Tell me about it! It can be very frustrating for people like us, who have been weaned on games and know what various inputs and prompts mean, to have to watch new people figure out what to do. It’s basically a new language, or rather a method of interpreting language, but a language that’s based on physical button presses, menus, screen prompts… It’s analogous to trying to teach an adult who’s never driven before how to drive a stick shift while also teaching them how to read at the same time.

There’s a lot of things you think everyone should just know (use “right” to go right) but there’s also a lot of stuff that gamers just know because we’ve been doing it for a long time (X does this in this game, but does this in another, even though jump is triangle/A/space bar, but sometimes space bar is pause, but there’s a pause button on the controller but it’s called “Start,” and there’s another controller button called “Select” or “Back” that doesn’t do anything unless it does what “Start”/A/“Enter”/space bar does, oh, and sometimes you have to flip the X and Y axis in the menu just to feel comfortable looking around…and so on. )

Anyway, good starter games, all.

What about 2D narrative games? Even comical dating sims like Dream Daddy or Hatoful Boyfriend?

I’ve just started up AC:O Discovery Tour and it’s pretty great. We need to have more virtual interactive museums like this, and I think that was one of the boldest moves made by a company that’s known for making great games, but also known for some horrible practices. I hope this inspires more big devs to roll with their successes to do something more in the public interest.

It was a super fun game! I played the heck out of those first few. But, yes, in the first several GTA games, you did get points for just killing people. It wasn’t until the later games that it became very plot-centered around being a criminal, they got rid of “points” in place of just money and achievements, and started slapping on the minigames.

Yesterday was an all-day God of War fest. First time of done that in months!!! I can’t remember the last time a game hooked me like this. Won’t be doing that again anytime soon, but it was a nice relaxing day.

I’m still waiting for my copy from library. The waiting list is enormous!

I caved and got a PS4.

Uncharted trilogy, Last of Us Remastered, Overwatch, FF12, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Doom.

Currently playing and discovering what’s there in Overwatch.

PSN name: Ciergan.

Sounds like you’ve definitely got enough to keep you entertained for several weeks!

I spent my day off yesterday playing Objects in Space a self-described ‘Modempunk Space Trading Game’. It’s sandboxy flying around a crap ship doing legitimate (or illegitimate if you’re so inclined) jobs for people. The spacecraft handle a bit like submarines and it’s all about how much noise you’re emitting as to whether you’re noticed by space pirates or cops.

It just came out on early access (Steam/GoG) and has a couple of bugs but nothing serious. Good times!

Libraries have video games now? HEM AND HAW, you kids have no idea how good you have it now, harrumph and foofaraw, and also grumble.

Started playing Thea: the Awakening.

You start with a village of 10 gatherers, warriors, and craftsmen, and try to bring your god back into power in a post-apocalypse fantasy world (the apocalypse being brought about by an attempt by learned men to overthrow the gods, as far as I can tell).

Surprisingly interesting, with lots of numbers and inventory juggling, but every challenge is resolved by a card game in which each villager has attack, defence, armour, and a bunch of other abilities - go hunting and your hunting/ranged/traps/perception/etc. are relevant, engage in diplomacy and your speech/appearance/intelligence/will/etc. are relevant. In each challenge, half the villagers present are on “offence”, where attack and defence are paramount, while the other half are on “support”, where all the other abilities become useful (assuming they have any relevant skill at all!)

On that basis, you explore, gather, craft, and try to figure things out.

I like that it’s quite punishing - I think it is set up so that a run of bad luck and hubris will end your game, and you are meant to restart. I also like that various things that seem useless at first sight are not. It’s far from trivial to work out how to optimise your odds, and progress efficiently.

Anyway, I mention it here because it totally escaped my notice, and I think it might appeal to an audience of board game aficionados.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe not as challenging as I first thought - beat the game on normal difficulty first time through, despite a few setbacks. Still a lot to unlock, so if the higher difficulties are interesting my recommendation will remain, but if I have it all figured out and there’s not much left to discover from hereon in, I’ll have to go with a much more qualified “only if you really like this sort of thing”.

Loved that game - plowed through it the weekend it came out. :smiley:
Only thing that really bugged me was the godawful shakycam. The camera behaves like its constantly in a paintshaker and I had to actually take breaks due to motion sickness a few times. :confused:

Recently I started (yet another) replay of Final Fantasy IX. I still love the game to death and will probably continue to play it until I’m old and grey.

Man, just visit your local library and check it out yourself!
Where I live you can borrow passes to museums and national parks, or even seeds for your garden. Also, you can stream movies and music for free, use 3D printer, green screen and code robots and much more.

Where is this paradise!?

And I call shenanigans! You can’t “borrow” seeds for your garden. It doesn’t work that way. :stuck_out_tongue:

The other day, I started playing Bloodborne again, partially motivated by the amazing Hollow Knight, which recently ported to the Switch. Then, after losing a ton of progress due to my own carelessness, I watched a bunch of Bloodborne lore videos on youtube, and no longer feel the need to finish the game. Whoops.

I’ve been playing Fallout Shelter on the Switch since E3, despite having played it already on at least 3 other platforms. Part of this is because I’m looking forward to Fallout 76.

Tomorrow, we’ve got Octopath Traveler coming out on the Switch, I’ve been looking forward to that one for a while. Though I’m having issues picking which character to start with, and thus haven’t even put in my 3 hours on the demo yet; limited to 3 hours, all characters and most starting zones unlocked, and progress carries forward into the game. Love that they’ve done it this way.

Noooooo, don’t succumb to the siren song of Lore videos. Experience Yharnam for yourself. Get lost in the swearword Snakeforest, trigger every trap and explore every nook and cranny. Only then will you be granted Eyes! (Also, encountering a new boss for the first time is a feeling only topped by finally killing said boss for the first time)
Seriously, all FROM Software games are an amazing experience if you just stumble into them. (Also also, when you finish the DLC you will be able to whine about it’s final boss together with everyone else. :D)

And Octopath Traveler is already waiting for me in my mail box, only played half of the Demo for fear of hitting the three-hour mark. And I quite enjoyed using Primrose’s special ability to romance an old lady and drag her with us into our adventure in case I need her bow and arrow skills someday. YOU’RE COMING WITH ME, OLD LADY!

@Eule
About a year ago, maybe longer, I made it as far as Cainhurst Castle. And then I put my ps4 into storage for a while during renovations. And when I came back to it, I had lost the ability to parry or otherwise survive battles. I’ve tried restarting a couple of times, and I’ve yet to even kill the beast on the bridge again. I keep dying to the bricktrolls, which I’d gotten good at dealing with.

It’s one of those relearning things.

I believe in you!
You have so many bosses and areas yet to experience. (Fun Fact: during my first playthrough I completely missed Cainhurst Castle.)

Bloodbourne is a game I wish I could like. I LOVE the aesthetics, and the world, but after giving it a try for a few hours, I realized that Souls games are not for me. I love the influence they’ve had on game design, but I just can’t deal with the time commitment they require.

Specifically, the constant loss of progress; be it actual experience if you dont get to save, or constantly having to go through the same areas over and over. You spend so much time back tracking, and learning every move of every enemy. Just can’t do it. I’ll fight a Valkerie in GoW over and over, but only because of check points, and saving where I want.

Edit: I do want to grab Hollow Knight. I think maybe this weekend for when I don’t feel like GoW…which happens…occasionally.

I played through 1979 Revolution, a fascinating insight into 1970s Iran. I have no idea if it was an accurate representation, but it’s certainly not your average video game subject. If it is accurate, then it’s a handy reminder that the world your own country and media presents to you is very vague representation of what people are experiencing many miles away. I particularly enjoyed a sequence where you get to watch some actual 1960s/70s home videos that will certainly contrast substantially with what you’re “supposed” to think about Iran. Anyway, it’s a tricky one as I don’t live there, and the subject is way out of my ballpark. At two and a bit hours you could do worse than to check this out if it’s in your Steam library.