Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Or facepalm again. :wink:

LOL, to be fair there is one face palm at the end of Detroit! The very last thing you have to do. Other than that, I enjoyed the game

Just the one?

OK I have to say this now so I never have to talk about it again. Detroit: Become Human is a very engaging game despite all of its many flaws.

I recommend it to everyone who has a PlayStation, but I also recommend watching several different let’s plays for people who don’t, because let’s face it you won’t buy a PS4 to play this one weird game.

That’s why you own a real computer. (Well, this and possibly work.)

I’ve mostly been put off from it by the words that come out of David Cage. I barely followed his earlier stuff but I just keep coming across these weird as hell interviews that put me off.

I suppose I tried to play Farhenheit a bit ago but I had trouble with the controls (both M+KB and controller) on PC and kept having crashes; always feels a shame to give up on a game for that, especially when it’s a port and I know there’s a version out there that doesn’t crash all the time.

I have been gravitating more and more towards the interactive fiction side of gaming in general, though. Your Telltale games and Life is Stranges, your visual novels, etc.

Cage is…I almost said “you either love him or you hate him,” but I don’t think anyone loves him. You either can stand him or you hate him. I guess that works.

It’s kind of like listening to Hideo Kojima or Tim Schafer. I’ll play their games to death, but please, you guys, just put a sock in it. A lot of designers are inadvertently offensive or just sound ridiculous, a trend I’ve noticed in creative people.

Good lord, yes. It’s almost enough to make one cry. The only thing left are Let’s Play videos, which are inherently infuriating (I keep having to stop from shouting at the screen, “Go left you idiot! No, your other left!” or “It’s right there in the menu! Pause the game, open your menu, [email protected]##1t!!!”)

Without copy/quoting you for the last bit, yes. Interactive fiction has become a big part of my video game habit, and I think that’s a trend that’s been rising lately with gamers. After the first Walking Dead game, Telltale kind of exploded, they’ve made tons of games for a lot of different licenses (still want some more Wolf Among Us, it’s been pushed back another year), and a lot of that was because of the demand for their “story-delivery-system.” Life is Strange is another great example, it’s still very “game-y” but mostly exists to give you a story. The proliferation of “walking simulators” (the most recent one I’ve played was Scanner Sombre, more worth a play for the prettiness than the story, tbh, but I believe the aesthetic is itself part of the message it delivers) also shows a trend of gamers wanting to be part of a story, not punching enemies in the face with a shotgun-sword, or making explosions everywhere (although that can still totally happen in interactive fiction).

I like this trend. Maybe it’s because I’m getting older, and twitch games, shooters, etc. no longer appeal like they used to. Maybe it’s because story-centered games haven’t been big news in a while, but I still remember adventure games on my Commodore 64 (oh, wait. that’s kind of the same thing as “Maybe it’s because I’m getting older.” Dammit, now I’m getting senile, too!)

Whatever, yes to interactive fiction! If you haven’t already played it, I recommend To Be or Not to Be by the great Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics. It’s a very funny choose-your-own-adventure based on Hamlet, with some great art by a huge list of the best web-comic artists, read by the author (Ryan North, not William Shakespeare).

For me it’s less that the twitch things don’t appeal anymore as they appeal to me in a more narrow band of ways so I feel less compelled to sample them. I’ve found my comfort zone with the first person shooter, and I’m content to stay there. Whereas strategy games or narrative-driven games appeal to me in a way that’s more idiosyncratic, and there isn’t really one game or cluster of games I can just reliably go to there and ignore the rest.

That’s not to say there aren’t action games or twitchy games that catch my attention, it’s just harder for a first person singleplayer shooter or brawler to compete with multiplayer competitive action games as a mechanical experience. At least for me. And I only have time and attention for one or two of those at a time so right now I play a lot of Overwatch, a little Injustice 2 and a little Siege and that’s about all I can keep straight as multiplayer action goes. I’d love to play more Titanfall 2 and get good at that but if that happens it very straightforwardly means less Overwatch rather than fewer narrative games or less reading or fewer strategy games.

It’s not something I do on purpose with a schedule or anything it’s just that when I feel like something high octane and demanding and precise I just don’t feel more like playing Doom or something than I do Overwatch. Whereas when I feel like scratching different itches I haven’t found my habits to be as narrow.

I did get around to The New Order, but while it played solidly the gunplay felt less up my alley than the everything else and that’s an experience I’ve been having with CRPGs for a while, too, so it’s not just twitchiness I’m being picky about I suppose. To a point it’s guns and combat as conceptual solutions to problems, but it’s mostly more immediate and visceral than that. Busy-ness? Let’s go with that.

I know what you mean. I still fire up Bit Trip Beat or Pack Man DX (I have to stand while playing, but I do have to sit down after), or even Super Monkey Ball or a fighter on a group games night (Smash Bros and Mario Kart also comes to mind). But the high octane things are now a “sometimes food,” I can’t do them all the time, and I don’t really want to.

There is marrow in a lot of these games, but I can’t get at it without something that lets me take some time to get it out.

I’ve done a little Fortnight and Battlegrounds, but shooters have left me cold since I got burnt out on Duke Nukem, Goldeneye, and Wolfenstein in the 90s. Not to mention anything combative and multiplayer is a little unappealing:

I play video games to escape from people. I play tabletop games to connect.

I played some Kingdom: New Lands but not sure how I feel about it. I like the looks and sounds but either I am pretty bad or it is pretty punishing.

And then I am not sure if it doesn’t get kinda repetitive. But it is fun!

Oh and I started finally with Witcher 3.

I’m so excited for you! My fav game so far.

Omg, I love these.

To me story and graphics are the most important in a video game. Sometimes I play game-y stuff and sometimes just choose-your-own story.

Oh, do you remember Red Dead Redemption? Perfect combination of story, looks and game-yiness(is it english??). Witcher too!

A former colleague of mine recently gave birth to her second child, and guess what she named him?
She and her husband are both big video games nerds, and her family comes from Poland, so I’m not sure what the exact reason was… :wink:

When I bought Red Dead Redemption 8 years ago I also bought Alan Wake, which I preferred to be honest.
RDR was a fine game, but I think I prefer driving cars in an open world to riding, and I found the story to be so-so.
Alan Wake, on the other hand, had solid but repetitive gameplay, but the atmosphere and the story were masterfully done imo.

Have you played Kentucky Route Zero?
I only played the first episode and decided to wait until the game’s finished before diving in deeper (who has proven a lesson in patience…), but was very impressed by the atmosphere created. If you like magical realism it’s an absolute must to try it out at least.

Yesterday I started and completed Oxenfree an indie horror story based game with narrative choices.
The premise is based around the teens go somewhere and spooky stuff happens trope but thoughtfully done and not remotely cringey.

It has multiple endings so I may end up playing it again, but I will say it was a really enjoyable experience. It’s another example of a game held together by the narrative experience rather than overly strong gameplay mechanics, you’re essentially walking from point to point selecting conversational options, however I really enjoyed it.

I hope it’s Geralt! So cool!

I dream about twins: Michael and Jordan

I googled it and I really like the atmosphere of this game.

I played the ever living heck out of Red Dead. It was sprawling, I sometimes just rode around for no reason, The game-y parts were pretty good, too. I eventually got an achievement for being in the top 2% of hunters entirely by accident, because I kept playing after I had finished the game. It was not unflawed, there could have been more fast-travel points (admittedly, which I probably wouldn’t have used that often. Riding around and exploring was a big appeal of Shadow of the Colossus for me as well), and a lot of times you’d get a cheap game-over by an enemy that spawned directly behind you (dammed bears!) due to Rockstar reusing code for generating crowds in urban environments like GTA (another great series, truly groundbreaking when GTA 3 came out).

And this is for both @Anita and @Boronian: When I first got Witcher 3 I played it for the next 12 hours straight.

It is an incredibly cool game. It makes you think in ways that make sense, but not logical sense. A really thoughtful, strange, indie.

One of the most stylish games in that, um, genre? Is it even a genre? Anyway, the design choices, mechanics, art, voice acting, are all excellent. It’s really unique, great for story-game people, and priced for indie. Thanks for bringing it up!

Now I keep thinking of indie creepy story-games things. I just replayed Firewatch, because the first time I didn’t have good headphones. Yes, kind of a puzzle-y walking simulator, but one I found to be engaging. Not a lot of replay value, but hey, have you ever watched a movie more than once?

As long as we’re talking about non-game-y games, I also recently replayed ISLANDS Non-Places. ISLANDS is barely even a game, and I was surprised to find my impressions were echoed by a lot of other people: it’s like touring an interactive modern art exhibit. It’s super cheap, super short (think single-session), pretty strange, but worth checking out. If you do, try not to watch anything about it beforehand, and wear headphones.

I can’t play GTA, it’s against my moral code. I enjoyed the first GTA, though. Sweet memories!

Gosh, Firewatch is a lovely melancholy time. It’s on the list of games I need to a few people who don’t normally play games to try because they’d like everything else about it.

My partner who enjoys narrative driven games but doesn’t play anything has been playing Firewatch recently and really enjoying it. I completed it previously and thought it was brilliant.

To improve her ability in modern games she started off with a little bit of Everybody’s Gone to Rapture (whilst I was playing it), then went on to Gone Home and has been trying her hand at the discovery mode on Assassins Creed: Origins too.

Sometimes I take it for granted that my journey through videogames started back on the Commodore 64 and has continued ever since. Starting playing something like The Witcher 3 (which is her ultimate goal) without any prior experience is quite a big task. I don’t quite know how new gamers manage it!

What.
?
??
??!?
The first two GTAs, and the expansion for GTA 2, were all about getting murder-points, it was basically the 1970s Death Race for the 90s. I would like for you to expand on that a little (not, like to derail the topic or anything. Sorry, I’m kind of doing that right now. That might be kind of a cool seed of an idea for a new topic?)

Wow, I didn’t realise. I’ve played it as a kid, just because my brother did, skipping all the story, because i didn’t speak English. I was just stealing cars and racing with the police. Didn’t kill anyone!

Got a psvr recently and it came with resident evil vr. Gave up on vr mode because it was a bit slow but also weird feeling. Then in normal mode it felt unsatisfactorily game-ish (like when you move the controller really fast to look at things).

It then does this thing where too often for cool parts you lose control but for quieter parts it’s undirected over wide spaces to make the game a little frustrating.