Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Very slowly making my way through Horizon Zero Dawn. Have been periodically dipping in and out which is fine because I find it fairly accessible to jump in and out of. Having been a Video gamer of mostly FPS (COD, Battlefield, Rainbow Six etc) I have to say i’m starting to completely move away from this now and find myself really appreciating the large ‘open world’ RPG like HZD is offering.

Only recently listened to Matt talking about it in his Daft Souls podcast and I completely agree with his views on getting lost by side missions and loot pickups!! I find myself being more focused on a tick-list of ‘to do’ than fully immerse myself in the beauty of the game and the world it offers! This perpetual need to pick everything up is most certainly having an impact on my experience of it!

What do others (those who have played it) focus on?? complete the story in its entirety? Do the side missions first? or just spend hours after you’ve finished the story walking around because you want 100% game completion?

I suffer from wanting to 100% games and the completionist streak has certainly compelled me to play games longer than I should.

Horizon would probably have benefited without all the cluttered map collectibles all over the place. Especially when they didn’t really do anything! The flowers and the mugs are useless! At least by the time I turned them in I had superior items than the rewards being doled out. I liked the vistas, or whatever they’re called, because it gave you more story! A reward that filled it the world a bit more!

I typically do all the side missions and extras and then proceed with story in big open world games. If I’m having fun in that game I want to prolong the gameplay. I usually move on to the next game after “beating” it, so those side missions are done after the credits roll.

I also like the idea of being lvl 99, max stats, etc., going into the final showdown. There’s something satisfying in a game where you start out weak and outcast, or whatever trope, and turn that into strength and transform into a cliche badass.

Edith Finch is just beautiful storytelling from start to finish.

I just started playing HZD as well this week, and I’m really, really enjoying it. Just reached the point where you get your first huge map infusion. It’s got a fluidity to it that doesn’t make the travel feel arduous, which I appreciate. I haven’t bothered much using mounts because I actually prefer walking through areas and exploring/harvesting as I go.

I actually don’t mind the collectible/map clutter in HZD as much as I did in something like FFXV, which just felt like an endless fetch-quest/potato-picking marathon. I think the scale of HZD feels more reasonable, at least being only a few chapters in; quests and errands are relatively self-contained and don’t require constantly spending 15 minutes traversing back and forth across the entire map. And there’s not so many side quests unlocked at a time that you can completely forget your story mission.

I try to wrap up all the side quests and errands in the area before I move on with the next story mission, just in case something gets locked out. And I’ll pick up any collectibles along the way. I’m not usually a New Game+ kind of person, so I want to make sure I’ve cleared everything I can before I finish the final boss (although usually this manifests as me never finishing games because I spent too much time trying to grind through all the collectibles).

In HZD I did the side quests and ignored the collectibles, although the vistas were quite fun to find. I found the game did a great job of presenting side quests and letting you sort through it in your own time. Generally, I did some main story quests and then messed around killing robots she finishing side quests in a block. None of the main story parts felt very long so it was easy enough to fall in and out of.

I really loved HZD. Something about the gameplay felt really visceral and engaging - especially with the bow. I didn’t find the side quests distracted me at all, but I always ignore collectibles anyway. I felt involved enough to have fun finding the mugs and trying to get the ultimate armour when it was all over, but I found some of them difficult to find even with a guide.

My first post ever in the video game section…cos I dont play many of them

But have been playing Vermintide 2 with some friends, its good fun

No not tried Portal Knights, might have a look see at that as I’ve now finished Zelda.

I’ve been learning to speedrun Mario 64 in the 16 star category. My (unverified) personal best is 32:13, which is very bad but it turns out speedrunning is weirdly relaxing when you don’t have a specific goal attached.

I just (like, 20 minutes ago) finished “Horizon: Zero Dawn”.

It was good. Satisfying sci-fi, with a few hanging threads that tease potential future sequels. Nice to have a competent female lead and a diversity of characters (my partner points out that the three main influences on Aloy’s early life are all white, but I contest that characters of colour take up more screen time than anyone aside from Aloy herself).

Next on the docket are “Into the Breach” and the new Mechwarrior…

Really enjoying Some Indies on the Switch lately when I have Time.
Night in the Woods is an amazing story driven game I’d recommend to anyone. Very light platforming elements. ( Also on Steam)

Also enjoying some Breath of the wild which is easily the best game I’ve ever played( keeping in mind I don’t video game to often so achieving 180 hours of play for me is unheard of.)

I downloaded the Harry Potter mobile game, which is basically a pretty blah energy-to-click-on-things mobile game enrobed in a delicious Harry Potter chocolate sauce of characters, lore, and ridiculous wish-fulfillment.

I was curious about the game mainly because I heard that the microtransaction scheme was pretty draconian - I don’t really go in for these ‘waiting simulators’, so needless to say I rarely play mobile games.

At first, it didn’t seem like a big deal - you use energy to do stuff, and it seems like the more studious option always costs a little more energy than doing something useless like glaring at the slytherns. Like many of these kinds of games, if you play really quickly you will run out of energy, and be forced to put the game down or pay a fee to refill energy and keep on trucking.

About 10 minutes into playing Hogwarts: Whatever, your hapless little avatar gets into a situation where they must battle the strangling Devil’s Snare. Energy, naturally, is required to fight off the vines as they try to choke out my poor little Ravenclaw. More energy, in fact, than my character can possibly possess at the level they are at. So even approaching the task with totally full energy (which you do, as the game levels you up directly beforehand) it is impossible to complete it without waiting for twenty fricken minutes or paying for gems to buy energy.

Now here’s the kicker that made me laugh my guts out and also question the sanity/moral compass of the development team: your avatar is choked perpetually while you wait for your energy to refill. For me this was so absurd that I laughed aloud, but for a child playing this game, how many of them would endure watching TWENTY MINUTES of their adorable new wizard/witch student being violently asphyxiated?!!

I also downloaded the Harry Potter mobile game, and also disappointed by it. Not sure what it says about me, but I am still plugging along at it.

The energy system is terrible and ridiculous for all the reasons @Sagantine mentioned. I especially don’t like that you “fail” if aren’t able to complete within the time window provided and must restart the task all over.

What is additionally frustrating is that the story is super linear. I had hoped for a slight RPG element to the game and that choices I made had an impact on the narrative, similar to the TellTale games, but alas it is not to be.

The actions are not interesting, the choices are inconsequential, so the game amounts to being a B level plot told in tiny increments at frustrating intervals.

And yet I still tap…

I’m still playing too… lol…
Not sure for how long, but I do still really like Hogwarts.

What house did you pick?

I selected Ravenclaw, which is the house I was sorted into on Pottermore. But that was another disappointment, you weren’t sorted at all. The game just asks you which house you would like.

I was tempted to select Hufflepuff just to see the common room.

I also felt Diagonal alley was a bit of wasted opportunity, I was excited when that first scene opened up but act wand selection, it was just rushed through.

The friend I met in Diagon Alley, Rowan, joined me in Ravenclaw, what about in your game?

I’m in Ravenclaw as well. I have the feeling that Rowan is your friend no matter what house you join. I kind of want to explore other choices, but I feel it’s too time consuming to restart. :\

No way I’d be willing to restart.

I know they are planning to have this run through all 7 years, which makes me wonder if choices now have more consequences further down along the story.

I also wish the dueling was a little more interesting, rather than just Rock Paper Scissors.

I’d never actually done the sorting hat before on pottermore, and apparently I am slytherin. Which makes me regret my choice of Ravenclaw, because apparently I’m some kind of villain and I should really just own it.

Slytherin don’t have to be villians. It always bothered me how comically evil they all seem to be. Think of Slytherin’s as cunning and ambitious. You know, just like Ssora!

I’ve had Heat Signature on my hard drive for a while, finally started playing it, and it’s pretty awesome.

I caved in and got Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.

Wow.
Wow.
It bears repeating: Wow.

It’s absolutely beautiful on my low-high-end system (my PC was a work of art four years ago).
It’s well crafted, from the art direction to the optimization. It’s creepy and evocative, it’s beautiful and disturbing.

Whatever Ninja Theory wanted to set out to do, they did something better. This game is a beast that shows that video games can be much more than explosions and punching, still keeping triple-A sensibilities and expectations. This looks and plays like a billion-dollar game (even though it’s priced for “budget”), but the plot and exposition plays out like an indie, and it hits you in the soft parts of your heart and mind.

We need more of this.

Also, Hidden Folks. It’s a lot like a combination of Where’s Waldo and the old Humongous Entertainment games I used to play with my kid (and then sneak and play when he was in bed), in that almost everything you can click has a cute thing it does or cute sound it makes.

All the sound effects are mouth sounds by the creator, the art is all stick figures, and the cumulative effect is 100% adorable and charming.

I hate these kind of “search” games, or at least, that’s what I kept on telling myself several hours after starting it.
(“Man, this is lame…” 10am.
“Dude, I’m done…” 1pm.
“OK, I just have to find that one turtle, then it’s quittin’ time…” 4pm.)

(Thanks @penguin_lx! :heart:)

Edit: Also, I have to mention Megaton Rainfall. It really makes you think about how an invulnerable superhero can can lose, even when they’re winning.

Lots of Slay the Spire, which has a surprising amount of longevity for a solo deckbuilder (a genre I’m not normally interested in) and some more Through the Ages (about a turn a day, so every day).