Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

I enjoyed 1 and 2 a lot, they looked beautiful and played well in my opinion. I liked the changes between climbing and shooting and it never felt really drawn out too much. But I also played them like 5 years ago :slight_smile:

The third part was repetitive like crazy. You had to kill so many waves of enemies to progress, it really bored me. “Another wave to kill?! When is this level over?” isn’t a good sign :slight_smile:

Uncharted 4 is on PS4? I don’t own that, so I have no opinion on that but Uncharted 3 felt really bad to me, just all the time the same stuff to do.

Yesterday I completed What Remains of Edith Finch and Inside.

They are both incredible examples of different types of effective storytelling in games and absolutely stunning in their presentation and artwork. The lighting in Inside is spectacular and the house design from What Remains… is up there with some of the best I’ve seen.

If you enjoy narrative driven games then I can’t recommend them enough. What Remains… is what people would call a walking simulator so very little game there and Inside never really challenged me in any way but I’d show them to friends in a heartbeat. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon.

Uncharted 4 has a really good pacing to it, probably about 70% puzzles, 30% fighting (with a bit more fighting if appropriate to the story). The combat is usually in small bursts rather than wave after wave, but still very generic. The set pieces are really top notch, especially the transitions as the action ramps up, by far the most impressive I’ve ever seen. Feels like they’ve really honed down what’s most enjoyable about the game and focussed on that (took them long enough!).

It’s pretty much perfect as an interactive action movie, but as a game I don’t think it does anything particularly great. It’s a spectacle game I guess.

So I sent in the combat juggling folk game into the Shut up and Sit Down Pod Cast, which was read out in episode 57, and in my spiel I mentioned that Unicycle Jousting is a thing and it’s the best.

The other day I discovered that someone has actually made a Unicycle Jousting video game. Played it with my partner and it was tremendous.

Check it out. Best thing I’ve ever found on Itch.

Last week I completed The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

I seem to be on a bit of a narrative focused walking simulator game binge at the moment. The story was nicely put together, there were some actual puzzles involved (even if they were incredibly simple for the most part) and the graphics were spectacular. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I’ve also started Dear Esther however this does literally seem to be walking around a beautiful landscape with diary entries playing over the top with zero interaction with the environment. Beautiful yet again, so I’ll carry on, I’m curious as to the story however I do think I prefer some ability to interact with a game.

I recently picked up We Happy Few, and was very pleasantly surprised. turns out it’s only a survival game if you want it to be, and the world building is top notch. I’m looking forward to playing through the story once it’s out of early access (they’re not releasing the story til then).

I also replayed Dishonored (which is fine, but WAY too short and not exactly challenging) and tried the Thief reboot (which was fine, and then there was an asylum and I lost all interest). Then weirdly had a two week period where I could only play games one handed because my shoulder randomly seized up and it hurt to move it in any way. Which may also colour my experience of We Happy Few, in a “oh, that is SO much better” way.

Curse my lack of Windows device, because unicycle jousting looks amazing. :laughing:

You could always learn to unicycle IRL. I think that is the reasonable course of action.

:face_with_head_bandage:
:ghost:

That is definitely the recommended way to become a cool ghost!

Damn. Thought I found someone to try this with. unicycle_fencing__sabre_by_kiaero

I have no words for how simultaneously amazing and terrifying that is.
I did regular fencing for a couple years and destroyed the ligaments in my knees; I can’t imagine what this would do :laughing:

Hope your ligaments are okay.

Just saw this as a header image on a article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun and thought it worth sharing (especially considering Paul’s musings in anthropomorphic animals in the latest podcast).

medievalheader-620x313

They are…extant. Barely :stuck_out_tongue:

I just picked up Solar Settlers by Brain Good Games. I’ve posted about them on this forum before, but their newest game is also their best yet (in my opinion). It has so many neat ideas wrapped in board-game-like mechanics and a truly delightful theme.

The visuals are a bit shit, but I just love the developer for consistently putting out clever and fun game mechanics.

Tacoma is bloody ace and everyone who likes that sort of thing should play it. Even if it’s only 3.5 hours long.

That has always been my favorite weird manuscript illustration. :smiley:

yeah, it’s a lovely little game. lotta cool design choices in how the story is revealed

So, first post, and I thought I should introduce myself with a game.

Been playing Hollow Knight recently, hit the 50h mark, and am still loving it to bits, meaning, I’m torn to bits and I love it… :no_mouth: the art, the music, the fights, the unrelenting reality of death at the hands of an oozing fly :crazy_face:
The last game that captivated me like this was The Witcher 3, which is also… a piece of art…

So…
Hi

Hello!
I am also a massive fan of the Witcher 3, but I haven’t tried Hollow Knight yet.

Currently, I’m trying to work through Mass Effect Andromeda… it’s not bad, but it’s just not gripping in the way the first trilogy was.

Also, no Quarians yet. And that sucks. But Vetra is amazing.