Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

I’ve just started Divinity: Original Sin with my wife, and play the occasional bout of FTL. I’m really looking for some more cooperative games to play.

-Dungeon of the Endless: Wow that game is really good and it demanded from me to change my thinking, my expectations I had to overthrow. It is a great mix of roguelike with heroes and tower defense. It's challenging and really good! Endless Legend(which I bought together in a sale) is great too, but I'm not allowed to play a 4x game right now! It sucks too much of my free time away...

I really like those games, (and Endless Space too, which has eaten huge portions of my time in the past). My only gripe is that when played cooperatively, the story parts in Dungeon of the Endless don’t occur.

I've just started Divinity: Original Sin with my wife, and play the occasional bout of FTL. I'm really looking for some more cooperative games to play.
-Dungeon of the Endless: Wow that game is really good and it demanded from me to change my thinking, my expectations I had to overthrow. It is a great mix of roguelike with heroes and tower defense. It's challenging and really good! Endless Legend(which I bought together in a sale) is great too, but I'm not allowed to play a 4x game right now! It sucks too much of my free time away...

I really like those games, (and Endless Space too, which has eaten huge portions of my time in the past). My only gripe is that when played cooperatively, the story parts in Dungeon of the Endless don’t occur.

I love FTL! It was my personal Game of the Year 2012. Have to come back to it at some point.

Well the coop in DotE has bigger problems like the not being able to share items between players. And you don’t have the same research tree together. I don’t like it because I can often research towers I don’t want to do because my partner already did. So it lessens my choices. But the first problem is the real annoying one for me. I find weapons I can’t use but can’t give to my partner’s chars. That sucks a lot.
But otherwise such a great game!

Struggling miserably with Football Manager 2015 because I’m quite clearly a masochist. Nothing like losing seven (currently) games on the trot in the French National league to punish yourself for an imagined slight.

Also dipping in and out of Crusader Kings 2 with the Charlemagne expansion (because more history) and occasionally a bit o’ Banished when I feel like it.

Confession time. I’ve bought, and played: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015. And it’s a meditative kind of fun, which requires you to shut down (and sit up?) part of your brain :slight_smile:

I bought Desktop Dungeons in a sale last week and I love it. I really like roguelikes and this one is very good. A very clever game, almost a puzzle to be solved but sometimes pretty mathematical when you calculate in your head whose hitpoints are going faster down to 0 - yours or the enemy’s. So if you don’t like crunching numbers or using a calculator then this game isn’t maybe the best choice. But it offers a beautiful challenge with a lot of things to do.

Confession time. I've bought, and played: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015. And it's a meditative kind of fun, which requires you to shut down (and sit up?) part of your brain :)

Okay, you need to describe to me the gameplay … I watched the videos on steam and I have NO clue what the actual “game” there is, if any?!

Confession time. I've bought, and played: Car Mechanic Simulator 2015. And it's a meditative kind of fun, which requires you to shut down (and sit up?) part of your brain :)

Okay, you need to describe to me the gameplay … I watched the videos on steam and I have NO clue what the actual “game” there is, if any?!

That is correct :smiley: I have yet to find any gameplay, yet strangely, it has put me under it’s spell and I can’t stop disassembling and reassembling. Help! Also, the soundtrack. It is killing me! (dubstep/techno/Eurohouse… ). Though I assume* it is all part of the unlock system: better music is unlocked after just a few hours of grind.

• Yes, it is the mother of all…

Well, do you then at least learn something about cars? I’m a bit fascinated by the whole “simulation” genre, but have yet to find something that grips me. If I could learn to change my spark plugs myself by “playing” this, it would seem to be worthwhile…

I’m playing a lot of Crypt of the Necrodancer. Aside from being one of the most well-named games in years, it’s a delight to play. :smiley:

I’ve gone back to Star Wars: The Old Republic and rolled a new character. I’m on a Star Wars kick at the moment and it is the perfect game to sink my teeth into for both solo and co-op play :slight_smile:

Well, do you then at least learn something about cars? I'm a bit fascinated by the whole "simulation" genre, but have yet to find something that grips me. If I could learn to change my spark plugs myself by "playing" this, it would seem to be worthwhile...

Well, I guess it does learn you something (if you pay attention to the names of the parts that is). But it is a simplified version they’re using (albeit an impressive simplified version, with lots and lots of parts). It did already teach me that wheels and their suspension are a complicated mess, so there’s that :smile:

And I agree that the simulation genre is an intriguing beast! There is a major lack of gameplay in most of them, but I think that is what attracts certain people to it as well. People who don’t want conflict, time limits or other stress factors, but just want to unwind their brain and just create/fix stuff.

Well, do you then at least learn something about cars? I'm a bit fascinated by the whole "simulation" genre, but have yet to find something that grips me. If I could learn to change my spark plugs myself by "playing" this, it would seem to be worthwhile...

Well, I guess it does learn you something (if you pay attention to the names of the parts that is). But it is a simplified version they’re using (albeit an impressive simplified version, with lots and lots of parts). It did already teach me that wheels and their suspension are a complicated mess, so there’s that :smile:

And I agree that the simulation genre is an intriguing beast! There is a major lack of gameplay in most of them, but I think that is what attracts certain people to it as well. People who don’t want conflict, time limits or other stress factors, but just want to unwind their brain and just create/fix stuff.

So nothing for me…if I want to unwind my brain I’ll play some easy puzzle game like the randomly created levels of Hexcells :slight_smile: (not the one created by the designer because these are not easy at all and not fun if you want to unwind)

Hexcells has now random levels? How do I not know this?

Edit: I just reinstalled my steam version, no random levels. :disappointed:

Hexcells Infinited (the third game in the series) has a puzzle generator. The other 2 games not. You can get it for only 5$ here. Last week I saw it in a bundle but it doesn’t exist anymore it seems…

Grumbling I throw another five euros at them, just because I’m to lazy to install things by hand…

Well GoG is great with that that they give you the regional pricing differences back. It really sucks that often they just convert the prices from USD to EUR 1:1. Just because they can…well at least GoG tries to do something against that.
And shortly after their announcement of this a lot of games got pulled from their catalogue.

Ok, in this case Steam just costs 50cents more…that’s a price worth for satisfying our lazyness :wink:

Just downloading the newly-released final version of Invisible Inc. I haven’t played it for a while (I played an early build of it and liked it) so I’m suitably curious about how good it is.

When back to my save file on The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD last night because I fancied a change of pace. I always forget how fluid the animations in this game are. Also that while the controls can be a bit fiddly the gameplay is so engrossing.

Played for what felt like 10mins but actually 2 hours had gone by, the perfect remedy to the gaming hump I’ve had recently :slight_smile:

I’m playing bits and pieces of a lot of different things at the moment (I have -too- -many- -games-). GTA V, Pillars of Eternity, Invisible Inc. All of these are just me passing time until next Tuesday, when The Witcher 3 is finally released…

An excellent co-op (up to four local player split-screen or more in an online multiplayer - with controller support), is Project Zomboid.
It’s still in early access, but has been progressing at a nice pace. Think it’s due for it’s full release in July.
It does zombies right. A single bite or scratch and you’re pretty much doomed unless you get immediate and extensive medical attention.
It’s got crafting, building, cooking, farming… but it’s more like a zombie survival story generator. Like SIMS set during the zombie apocalypse.
For instance, one time we started during winter, and armed only with spoons we had to try and hunt some zombies to take their warm clothes so we didn’t die of hypothermia.