Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

Deciding to put Stellaris on hold until at least Asimov patch (and waiting for HoI4 to be patched and maybe put on sale), I decided to play my first real game of Vietnam '65. The game has some interesting interaction between mechanics. The US player doesn’t know where the enemy units are, and almost all US units have little or no ability to spot them (the one exception, Green Berets, are frickin’ expensive). So a large part of the game is flying air cavalry, over large swatches of fog of war, to remove villages to ask if they have intel about nearby VC or NVA. The US player needs to balance these missions with US casualties and logistics. The part of the puzzle I’m liking the most is figuring out where to place my fire base and forward bases and bulldozing jungle and building roads to achieve these goals.

Oh, I have Grim Fandango downloaded as well. However, I finished Broken Age recently and I didn’t feel like jumping back into another adventure point-and-click type game. Need to pace myself!

My main problem is that E:D has become unstable and flaky as hell since the updates. I picked up a whole bunch of missions yesterday that related to killing a faction’s ships in the conflict zones in that system, schlepped 70ly to go and pick up my Vulture to do the killing in, humped back painfully slowly only to discover that there WEREN’T any conflict zones in that system despite it being in status: WAR. Cue 4 failed missions and a significant reputation hit. Not happy. Add to that the graphical glitching and frequent crashes and frustration is starting to set in.

I’m considering buying Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition. 20€ on GoG is still not as cheap as I hoped but this game’s price never really dropped and I think I could really like it. Turnbased combat? RPG with an open world? That sounds like it is made for me.
I wonder though…is it a game you should play coop or alone? Or both?

I played through coop with my fiancee, but we were sat next to each other on computers so could poke at each other to properly show where we thought attacks should be etc.
There’s no (as far as I’m aware) functionality to properly communicate in-game apart form text - so it may be difficult to coordinate properly. You’re also looking at 50+ hours of coop time, which can be difficult to organise

That said, playing coop was an absolute joy, even if functionally it did little to the story or combat - enough so that I backed the sequel kickstarter at the 4 pack pledge level so we can do it all again with a couple of friends

I downloaded Card Crawl for iOS last night. Really enjoying it so far. I was drawn to the art design but the game mechanics are solid. I recommend it and would love to hear other people’s thoughts on it.

It also seems like a great fit for the SUSD community.

finally got round to having a wander round this. i understand there were a lot of complaints about it being a ps+ game because “you can complete it in an hour” or somesuch. i don’t know how, i’ve spent a good half-hour so far just dancing to all the mid 90s riot-grrl tapes (that’s not a spoiler, right?) even though i own several of those records (also, at least 15-20 minutes walking into obstacles as i’ve never played a first-person dual-analogue game before, but i assume this is a rare encumbrance)

i did assume the “supernatural horror” was just a red herring (though the feel was creepy enough that you couldn’t be certain) but there were plenty of genuinely horrific events that could plausibly have been the conclusion

Had more time than usual to game this weekend, so I took advantage. I finished Blood and Wine for The Witcher III, and was quite satisfied with the overall story and expansion, even if it didn’t quite reach the heights of Hearts of Stone (though to be fair, that story was so good, I was skeptical that they would catch lightining in a bottle twice in a row like that).

Still, the time I spent in Toussaint was great, with some great comedy moments (Geralt’s reaction to seeing an actual unicorn was perfect and hilarious given Yennefer’s… predilections; the bank side quest was truly hilarious from beginning to end), some great character moments (Syanna was an interesting villain, and Regis was a great ally, I can understand why book readers were excited to see him in the game), and some pretty visuals throughout. The ending was a fitting end for Geralt’s story, and I’m glad it ended the way that it did after all the hours I spent playing this game.

Another game I got around to is Gone Home which I picked up on PSPlus and quite enjoyed. I know a ton has already been said about this game, but it was quite fun to piece the story together from post-its and scrap paper. I thought the main character was a bit too obvious (but then, teenagers are pretty obvious I guess), but some of the other stories in the house are really interesting to piece together (and sometimes disturbing). I can definitely see why this game sparked so much discussion when it came out; I definitely am glad I played it, but also I suppose I’m glad I didn’t pay $22 for it.

I also started Dark Cloud 2 which I’d heard lots of good things about, but I’m not sure I’ll keep it up for now. It seems too… big. I might just go back and finish Tales from the Borderlands before I delve into a giant JRPG, even one as acclaimed as this one has been.

I was thinking about replaying Dark Cloud 2, but I wasn’t sure if it would hold up over time. I really loved it, but my nostalgia has made okay games fantastic in my memories.

And as replaying my all time favourite RPG Final Fantasy 7 has shown me; some games are great for their time, but don’t hold up so well to Father Time.

It makes me wonder about “classic” games I missed growing up. Now that I can get digital access to a lot of them, would I think they’re any good without any nostalgia lens to view them through?

Yeah, FF7 didn’t hold up for me either when I booted it up a couple of years back. None of those old games do, actually; I think game design has really moved on and as they say, you can never go home again. Or, if you do, you notice that everything is all polygonal and ugly, and as cool as Materia is, it doesn’t hold up a 60hr game.

I think the only older experiences that might be worth revisiting today are those that rely heavily on story and characterization. I recently replayed Fallout 2 this past year (after being quite disappointed by Fallout 4), and while the mechanics of the game are definitely showing their age, the inventiveness of the characters and quest-lines really still make the game stand out, especially when playing a non-violent character like I did.

My dilemma now is Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura, I bought it on sale long ago because I’d never played it, and it’s by the old Fallout devs, but I remember it being quite buggy when it released, and I’m not sure I’ll enjoy wading through it, even if the story is pretty cool (from what I hear). Same with Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, is it worth jumping into these old story-driven game at this point?

Well I bought both of them too. Arcanum a long time ago and I played it for an hour maybe and Vampire The Masquerade last month. Haven’t started it up to now. Unfortunately no time for it.
So I can’t really answer your question the way you want but I am still eager to play both games. It is true there are certain things which are done better today but the games itself are still great for sure.

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines (hereafter referred to as VTM because jeeeeez) is one of those weird games which everyone should at least try. It’s a few steps down a path not taken, that game. A magical world in which we played Deus Ex and went “holy balls we could do anything with this” instead of “cyberpunk is pretty cool, maybe we could wear sunglasses”.

That said… yeah, it was buggy on release, even, and it’s pretty old and janky now. An RPS piece recently suggested playing just the first hub area and its associated events and quests, and I can see that. It’ll take you a few hours to just do the first chapter but it’ll introduce all the bits which made the game genuinely fascinating, and then you can decide if you wanna keep going when you switch cities after that.

It’s definitely worth a looksee though. It’s a work of art despite all its flaws. I strongly recommend you play a “normal” bloodline for your first run - Ventrue, Toreador, Brujah are probably easiest. For bonus points and an experience of one of the many reasons why people love it though, after you’ve done the first city try starting again as a Malkavian. It’s quite fascinating.

And don’t forget the fan patches for VTM. Necessary to play it.

is anyone playing on ps4? I’ve been playing with randoms and friends and have fun with both. I don’t have voice chat enabled though…so maybe that’s why? :zipper_mouth:
PS. i’m not very good at it.

I think we have a few PS4 players, but the majority is playing it on the PC. And yeah, muting voice chat when playing with pubs is certainly recommended. :slight_smile:

Edit: When I say “I think we have a few PS4 players” I mean on the Cool Ghosts Discord server. You should come join! We’re all nice people.

i’m lurk on the discord server from time to time :sweat_smile: the name’s nickel.godzilla on there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I picked up a couple of games second-hand yesterday. (I rarely buy games new. And even when I do, it’s pretty long after their release date.)

I’m not big on FPS games, but I decided to give Destiny a go. Only played the opening so far. Quite enjoyed it and didn’t find it as difficult as I usually do trying to aim at things.

I might restart it though. As what looked like a great character in the CC, looks in-game like she fell out of a My Chemical Romance gig circa 2005.

I also got Bladestorm: Nightmare, which is a bit odd. It’s set during the Hundred Years War, but it’s a Japanese game, so a lot of the characters look like they belong in a Final Fantasy game. And it’s a strategy game involving fighting battles with large armies, but you’re on the ground, controlling units individually.

The character creator’s hilariously flexible though.

Working my way through the backlog of Daft Souls podcasts. And because of it I’ve picked up Bloodborne. Haven’t played it yet because of my seasonal work leaving my wife and I too tired in the evenings. This is detrimental because I’m a wuss and told her she had to sit with me while I play so I don’t get too scared!

Something I’ve actually played because of the podcast is the Sorcery series, which I’m now in love with. It’s also really hard on me as I tend to be a completionist with games and game design that intentionally makes me miss things is hard!

I’ve just started the third chapter and if anyone played a lot of the second part in the series I have a spoilery question…

Can you save the city from Vik and the werewolves? I got rid of the marsh goblins, or whatever they are, but I couldn’t figure out a way to stop Vik. Which bothered me a bit more than the goblins as Vik is kidnapping people to turn them into a werewolf army…

Ah yes, I’ve seen you there! I’m sorry you don’t seem to be getting much response for your PS4 requests - I guess we’re mostly PC players on there. :-/

Picked up Dying Light in the sale - fairly stock story so far, but an enjoyable gameplay loop. I really appreciate that there doesn’t seem to be a fast-travel system, so every mission starts and ends in running between safety zones.

I dislike the overly mean approach to weapon degradation though. I know it’s meant to be realistic and increase difficulty in games, but has anyone ever felt item degradation actually adding to a game?

It’s possible degradation might be workable in a proper survival game, but let’s be clear, Dying Light is not a survival sandbox - it’s a goofy free running game where you can use zombies as a springboard to make tall jumps. Making my baseball bat “broken” (whilst still being perfectly formed on screen) is just annoying