Home Videos Games Podcastle

Wot are you playing?

In addition to the ‘Last game played’ thread in the board games section, I reckoned we “needed” a similar topic in the video games section. So… here it is (hurrah) !!

To start, I’m currently not playing a lot of games, but what I played recently:

• The Stanley Parable: Brilliant! I love it when 4th walls are broken (in a good way) and this game takes it to a whole new level, and questions free will and the concept of work quite ingenious and with tons of absurd, dry humor. It reminded me a lot of the movie Brazil by Terry Gilliam.

• Dead state: Still in E.A. but already a solid game. I’m not sure if I like it as much as I thought I would when I backed this (now, what, 2 years ago?). I suppose the whole party management / group dynamics is a bit different from my imagination. I think there is not enough bonding between the player and the NPC’s to really care that much about them. Still, I haven’t played it a lot and will restart when the game is fully released for a full opinion.

• Peggle (2? deluxe? something?): Erm, yeah… Well… Let’s say that it was fun while it lasted? (for 2 hours straight)

• Endless dungeon: Probably a fun concept, but I tend to have less and less patience with games and even less tolerance for pixel-art. And why did I buy a tower defense game? (answer: you probably got it in a bundle, dummy)

What have you guys & gals been playing?

I’m playing a few different things:

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS): I tried Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate when it was released a few years ago but never got into it.So when MonHun4 came out I wasn’t going to pick it up - but then enough people whose opinion I respected started talking about it that I went ahead and got a copy. And now I’ve put in over 50 hours and am nowhere near done with it. It’s not the most user-friendly game, though it is a lot better at explaining itself than MonHun 3 was, but once you start understanding the different system it all just clicks and is very enjoyable to play.

• Cities: Skylines (PC): Sim City 2000 is one of my favourite games ever, so I was very disappointed when Sim City came out a few years back and was really bad. Fortunately, Paradox and Colossal Order picked up the ball that Maxis dropped and ran away with it. It is a really fun city-builder that I have feeling will just get better and better as it is updated and the community develops mods for it.

• Ori & The Blind Forest (PC): An utterly gorgeous Metroidvania platformer. I love pretty much everything about this game - the art, the music, the responsive controls, the challenging gameplay.

Right now all other games are on the backburner, however, because of

• Bloodcorne (PS4): It is Dark Souls with faster and more action-oriented combat and your character can equip a top hat and monocle. So it might just be the best game ever made. I’m a huge, huge fan of Dark Souls and (to a lesser extent) Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne continues in the same style. I just love the heavy, suffocating atmosphere, the art direction, always being afraid of whatever is around the next corner. Fantastic game so far.

When I get home from work I’ll probably also fire up Pillars of Eternity (PC) for a quick try. I loved Baldur’s Gate and Planescape: Torment back in the day, and PoE looks like it will be a very worthy successor to those kinds of games.

Man, what a good year for games 2015 is shaping up to be.

When I get home from work I'll probably also fire up Pillars of Eternity (PC) for a quick try. I loved Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment back in the day, and PoE looks like it will be a very worthy successor to those kinds of games.

Man, what a good year for games 2015 is shaping up to be.

Ahh yes, I will play that too in the near near future (though I’ll wait the first days to see if any nasty bugs arise). And I agree, 2015 is going to be a great year for games in general (board and video).

I am also hoping for a great 2015 after the poor show that 2014 put up (yes there were some good games, but not that many imo).

Currently playing Warframe for its addictive, brain fully turned off space ninja shenanigans.

Hearthstone is also the game which keeps on being fun, it’s very much not the most complicated card game out there but I find it a hugely fun thing to dip the toes in between my weekly netrunner sessions and tourneys which manage to tax the brain far more.

I really need to play something new for the first time in a month but those 2 are very easy to slip into and it leaves the Witcher/Pillars hole in my heart ready for action.

Oh, War for the Overworld comes out next week so I’ll certainly be dabbling in that little dungeon.

[edit] Wait, Pillars comes out today?

I guess I’m not going out this weekend then.

Well…I have problems generating my key for Pillars of Eternity…seems the obsidian page can’t take that much traffic.

Btw. Dead State isn’t Early Access anymore since several months. It is fully released. I backed it and read several reviews, so I’m pretty sure about it.

What I’m playing at the moment (in addition to Pillars of Eternity hopefully!):

-Dungeon of the Endless: Wow that game is really good and it demanded from me to change my thinking, my expectations I had to overthrow. It is a great mix of roguelike with heroes and tower defense. It’s challenging and really good! Endless Legend(which I bought together in a sale) is great too, but I’m not allowed to play a 4x game right now! It sucks too much of my free time away…

-Hexcells Infinite: My favourite puzzle game. It is just great and I love it the random level generator even the puzzles it generates are way less elegant than the hand made ones.

-Infested Planet: Another good strategy title with an interesting mix of ideas (squad management, tower defense) and it feels so much like Starship Trooper. You have to be able to quickly change your tactics, gameover is never far away…

Well...I have problems generating my key for Pillars of Eternity...seems the obsidian page can't take that much traffic.

Btw. Dead State isn’t Early Access anymore since several months. It is fully released. I backed it and read several reviews, so I’m pretty sure about it.

-Dungeon of the Endless: Wow that game is really good and it demanded from me to change my thinking, my expectations I had to overthrow. It is a great mix of roguelike with heroes and tower defense. It’s challenging and really good! Endless Legend(which I bought together in a sale) is great too, but I’m not allowed to play a 4x game right now! It sucks too much of my free time away…

Ah, I never knew Dead State left E.A. That worries me a bit (not as much as Jagged Alliance: Flashback which left E.A. way too soon and will never be finished). Compared to Age of Decadence I really feel there is a gap between the quality of the conversations. But maybe it opens up later in game, and I have to “bite through the sour apple” (Dutch expression, probably related to the Granny Smith apple :wink: ) first.

And (d’oh!) it’s Dungeon of the Endless indeed, not Endless Dungeon. I started playing this game because of Endless legend, a game which I really really like (and completely understand your “not allowed to play” remark… For it is a gargantuan time eater for sure. But I really shouldn’t have played Dungeon of the Endless, because I have no patience for either roguelikes and especially tower defense. Tower defense is a genre which I just can’t seem to get along with, no matter what.

Well, I would be playing these, if my computer wasn’t borked and I wasn’t to lazy to repair it:

The binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Just so so much replayabillity and the game keeps me going with “okay, just ONE more try…”

Walking Dead Season 2:
I was replaying Season 1 when my computer crashed, so I hope I don’t have to redo all that again. I mean, Season one is great and all, but I’m playing it for the third time by now…

Game of thrones Season 1:
Yeah, telltale games are just great and I really want to see what they make of this franchise. Probably “everybody dies”.

Maybe I’ll throw GTA5 back into the ol’ PS3 on the weekend, but I don’t know … somehow the whole “three characters and you can switch whenever you want” thing isn’t doing it for me.

I’ve been playing Altitude, because of course I have, Nuclear Throne and Captain Forever Remix. I’m a sucker for little things that go pew pew.

Well...I have problems generating my key for Pillars of Eternity...seems the obsidian page can't take that much traffic.

Ah, I never knew Dead State left E.A. That worries me a bit (not as much as Jagged Alliance: Flashback which left E.A. way too soon and will never be finished). Compared to Age of Decadence I really feel there is a gap between the quality of the conversations. But maybe it opens up later in game, and I have to “bite through the sour apple” (Dutch expression, probably related to the Granny Smith apple :wink: ) first.

And (d’oh!) it’s Dungeon of the Endless indeed, not Endless Dungeon. I started playing this game because of Endless legend, a game which I really really like (and completely understand your “not allowed to play” remark… For it is a gargantuan time eater for sure. But I really shouldn’t have played Dungeon of the Endless, because I have no patience for either roguelikes and especially tower defense. Tower defense is a genre which I just can’t seem to get along with, no matter what.

Well Dead State got mixed reviews, I backed it but never played it because I lost interest and didn’t really have the time for it. But then Pillars of Eternity came (which proves I take the time if the game is interesting enough)…oh my god, it is such a great spirital successor for the Baldur’s Gate series and I love it. Played way too much…

Yeah, if you don’t like roguelikes or tower defense then Dungeon of the Endless is the totally wrong game for you. Endless Legend is great and I would love to play another round. I found this cult the most interesting faction because they have only one city and all these villages converted. It was easier and quicker for me because I’m someone who gets lost into micromanaging everything. And I loved how the planet looked afterwards…everywhere nothing except this one colossus of a city with everyone being happy (it is so easy when there is no expansion disapproval!).
I didn’t try all the other races so that’s something I have to do too but I don’t think it will change my favourite.

Btw: We Germans say to “bite in the sour apple” :wink:

I've been playing Altitude, because of course I have, Nuclear Throne and Captain Forever Remix. I'm a sucker for little things that go pew pew.

Altitude is fun! I got it in some bundle. Liked to play it some years ago. Are there still enough players?

Pillars of Eternity on Easy because I don’t want my ineptitude to interfere with the story.

TouchTone which makes my eyes hurt and my brain sad.

Definitely not Bloodborne because I’m rubbish at games and don’t have a PS4. Only one of those things is ever likely to change.

Planetside 2 on PS4
Mario Party 10 on Wii U
Minecraft on PS4 (with my kids )
Elite on PC (not so much tbh)
Disc Drivin, Ascension, Waterdeep and Le Harve on iPad

Holy crap, no wonder I have no spare hours in the day to decorate my house :smile:

Altitude is fun! I got it in some bundle. Liked to play it some years ago. Are there still enough players?

Depends. It’s free now so there are loads of new people and if you want to play mindless 20 minute games on that football map then there are always takers. At night, and especially when the Americans show up, you can usually get a few games in on the ladder servers. Ladder is between seasons at the moment though so it’s quieter than usual. Lastly, the Dojo servers are good for ball matches at weekends.

I played Pillars of Eternity this whole weekend like crazy…It is so good…it is everything I missed in RPGs since Baldur’s Gate 2. More than only 2 or 3 chars to have in a group which offers so many tactical and strategic possibilites. Thanks for that! Demanding fights, interesting story, big and interesting world…wow I love it. Oh and magic systems with more than 10 spells! Give it to me, I want more of that!

Also Pillars of Eternity here… It is everything I hoped for and more. Only 6 hours in, and finished most of the Gilded Vale side quests. The game oozes a lot of atmosphere! I really like the huge amount of lore and background stories and especially the animancy system (crafting… not so much so far).

Combat is challenging most of the time, and requires a bit of thinking. I also like that the more enemies of one type you defeat, the more stats of that enemy are revealed. And it does help to have a second weaponset/attack option ready if a monster is nonplussed by your current style/damage type.

Can’t wait what the game throws at me further down the road (currently level 4 with all characters of the party) !

One whoopsie from my side: I didn’t notice the different talent tabs until leveling up to the 4th level, when I was wondering why there were no weapon skill or bonus to monster feats.

I’m finding it frustrating. There’s far too much scooping up the filed mice and bopping them on the head. I was hoping for less biff and more CYOA.

The fixed perspective is annoying in certain fights, especially since positioning and distance actually matters a fair bit in this game. It’s like someone took the DaO combat system and asked “What if we made it isometric and even less readable but also added more stuff so it was more complex?” Simple things like whether or not my character has a weapon in their hand as next to impossible to tell at a glance. And that’s … look I have nothing against the look of the game from a purely visual standpoint. It’s quite pleasant to look upon. But I’ve played much uglier games with much more functional visual feedback. And I’d rather have that.

My list could pretty much be summarised as “What @tengblad said” (in fact we may be enablers for each other’s Monster Hunter 4 and Bloodborne addictions). Ori & The Blind Forest is just lovely, and I can’t wait to dive into Pillars of Eternity proper.

I will say for both MH4 and Bloodborne, that you shouldn’t necessarily be put off if you don’t think you’re ‘Hardcore’ enough. I really wouldn’t consider myself that skilled a gamer, and I got sucked into both of them. They’re demanding yes, but they’re full of character, and it’s much more about finding a playstyle that suits you, experimenting, and developing an intuition for the mechanics and design, rather than having reams of stats memorised or the reflexes of a 12 year old COD player.

I guess I’ve been playing other things, which fall into two categories

Procedural Death Labyrinth Dailies - There’s something very satisfying about doing quick runs on the daily challenges for Spelunky, Nuclear Throne and Crypt of the Necrodancer in succession. All incredibly polished, tightly designed games well worth your money, despite two of them still only being in early access.

Adventure Games! There’s the Grim Fandango rerelease (one of my all time favourite games), Game of Thrones (not feeling it to be honest), Tales From The Borderlands (fabulous. Depending on how it shakes out over the coming episodes, it could end up in the running for my all time favourite Telltale game) and Life Is Strange (very interesting, definitely rough around the edges, but doing some new things, and genuinely affecting at times).

I got to buy Grim Fandango as soon as I can afford it. Played it once, a couple of computers ago, but haven’t been able to get it to work since. How I wish Discworld Noir would get a similar rerelease.

I only got on the Nuclear Throne train in December because of Early Access but the way Vlambeer do things I feel like I missed out. Updates are fun.

I got to buy Grim Fandango as soon as I can afford it. Played it once, a couple of computers ago, but haven't been able to get it to work since. How I wish Discworld Noir would get a similar rerelease.

Oh man, yeah I would kill for a bugfixed and polished up Discworld Noir that works on modern systems. Massively underrated game.

Assetto Corsa Vroooooooooom, vroooooooooooooooooom, vroooooooooooooooom, neooooooooooooooowwwwwwww. Also: Pretty. This is my standard way to unwind in the evenings these days. Come home, turn a few laps at the Nurburgring, make dinner.

After reading about it on RPS, I bought (and played) Cities: Skylines and it’s great! Barely scratched the surface (only 1.2k citizens) but it is already challenging, and I probably restart a dozen times before being mildly satisfied with my city-building “skills”.

Anyone here playing and using mods? If so, what mods do you consider essential?