FYI SHUX attendees, workers at the Hyatt Regency, Westin Bayshore, Rosewood Hotel Georgia, and Pinnacle Harbourfront are on strike protesting unsafe working conditions, unreliable hours, and poor wages. I have cancelled my reservation at the Pinnacle Harbourfront and let the management know it is because of the unfair treatment of their workers. If you are able, I urge you to do so as well to stand in solidarity with the workers and not cross the picket line. According to this article https://bc.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-downtown-vancouver-hotel-workers-hit-the-picket-line-1.4602202 customers are also finding that there are no available rooms for them despite their reservations.
Oh dear. Not sure yet what I’ll do. Have to talk to the boyfriend. I’m definitely inclined to cancel out of solidarity. Any suggestions on alternate hotels or how to find alternate hotels that won’t be part of the problem?
As far as I can tell, it is only the four hotels I have listed above, but I would check https://www.uniteherelocal40.org/ for updates.
Thanks for posting this:)
Cool. I’ve cancelled my reservation at the Pinnacle Harbourfront and rebooked.
This has me really worried. I’ve looked at every other hotel suggested by the SHUX info page and none appear to have rooms available for the dates of the con. Anyone who’s re-booked, where did you find a place?
ETA: Thanks to everyone for the replies. I cancelled and booked an AirBnB. Better safe than sorry and no one’s gonna make me miss SHUX!!
I know a couple people have just gone with AirBnB since finding a hotel was difficult.
Here’s what Lonely Planet recommends for the West End:
Someone in the discord recommended the Buchan as a relatively cheap option.
I’m in the awkward position of being a local with no advice to offer on alternatives (I don’t hotel where I live, naturally), but I did want to pop in to mention that “the West end” would have you staying reasonably close to the con or almost on the opposite end of downtown. It’s a TINY downtown, and easy to walk anywhere, but worth noting. Especially if it rains (pro tip: assume it’s going to rain).
I have AAA so I decided to find another hotel in the area to book at their “discount” rate. It still cost about twice what my original room did because prices have gone up enormously (go figure). Right now I have both rooms but can cancel either up to 48 hours out without penalty. I’m holding out hope the labor dispute will be resolved and I can cancel the new more expensive room. If not, I’ll cancel the old room and make clear it’s because I support the workers. I’ll make my decision this weekend.
You can donate to the striking workers here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/SupportVancouverHotelWorkers