Home Videos Games Podcastle

Which is the best modifier word?

Perhaps you’re a Batman fan so you shop at Bizzaromart (Aldi) and your new and terrible neighbours the Bizzaroneighbours.

Maybe you’re a fan of Science Fiction and so you spend your Spacemoney at your Spacecoffee shop for Spacecoffee which you drink in your spacecar.

Might I posit the possibility, heretofore unposited, that your enthusiastic reverence for Victoriania has led you down a path of Steampunk, Steam Ale and Steam Houses?

Perhaps you are all about the Punk, Steam, Rock, Jazz or otherwise.

Which is the best modifier, that with the widest reach, the inherently funniest, needless adjunct to language?

The only one that immediately comes to mind is -don.

It immediately makes all the people in my life sound both cute and just like a newly-discovered dinosaur species.

Sonadon
Hozudon
Bendon

As a bonus, you can add it before names too, for that mafia look.

I shall henceforth demand that people call me by my true name; Don Plumodon, the dino-gangster

I like -mancer. Neuromancer, necromancer, technomancer, whatever.

I currently have an ex-PC, who got killed in a campaign, but I recycled him into an NPC. He’s an “Owlmancer.” Instead of casting “magic missile” or “fire bolt,” he casts “owl missile” and “owl bolt.”

Instead of “Fireball,” well, “Each creature in a 20-foot radius sphere takes 8d6 fire damage on a failed dex save, or half as much damage on a successful one.” Only instead of fire damage, it’s split between bludgeoning and piercing, because it’s a huge explosion of owls. (No owls are actually hurt.)

So a bureaucrat can be a bureaumancer, a cyclist can be a spinmancer, a sharp-shooter can be a gunmancer, as long as they have some magical innate ability that they can use in their profession, and the player can role-play it.

Because my work is adjacent to film and tv, my least favourite is “Executive” - I’m an executive Producer - that could mean literally anything from your dad wrote the credits and wanted to give your career a bumpstart even though you were partying on your gap year for the whole project to you came in and saved the entire production from utter incompetence but the real producer has a contract stating he will be the only credited producer.

That wasn’t the question though, so I present my favourite - “Pseudo”

What’s your job? I’m a Pseudo Producer.

What’s that your drinking? Pseudojuice

What are you doing with that controller? Pseudocontrolling that drone.

Don’t you mean a Pseudodrone? Now you’re pseudo-getting it.

My brother was always getting cross in mcdonalds and asking to talk to the mcmanager.

I reeeally love ‘mancer’. I also love ‘oid’, like creachoid (creature), roboid (robot), turkoid (turkey), etc.

@SleepyWill, what about a pseudomancer? Would that be, like, a regular street magician?

@RossM “Mc” has been very unfairly maligned, but has been accurately used in a lot of ways by George Ritzer with his use of “mcdonaldization.” I mean, we have “McMansions” (cookie cutter fabricated grand houses that were erected in a month) in my neighborhood. I still think it’s not fair to anyone who has “Mc” in their actual surname. (mcmanager is still really funny).

@Sagantine OK, you have re-awoken me to “-oid.” Holy cow, that’s a good one. I’m starting to think that my owlmancer could have an owloid familiar. Re-reading what I just wrote, maybe even there could be a holycowoid?

-ish.

It covers such a multitude of sins.

Was that game expensive? Weeeeell, expensive-ish

I can’t believe “-ish” hasn’t popped up here before. That’s got lot of traction with almost anything.

It’s not really a modifier word (check the heading, it’s up to the OP, but we’ve all fallen off track at this point, anyway), but as a suffix, the thing has a lot of potential.

I have a linguist-geek friend who, for a while, amused herself reading the unreasonable number of published academic papers about the essentially English-exclusive postfix intensifier “-ass”.

For example:

That is a bad-ass modifier word!