Home Videos Games Podcastle

Which console should I buy?

I’m contemplating an upgrade from my PS3 to one of the next generation consoles, and I’m looking for input from owners of one or both. I recently got my girlfriend, who previously didn’t play video games at all, hooked on Diablo 3. We’re playing it together using the excellent couch co-op mode, and looking for more of the same. We’re especially looking forward to the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront.

So, that’s two games that we’re interested in, both of which can be played on either the PS4 or Xbox One. I am most drawn to the PS4, partly because I’m used to Sony’s aesthetic and partly because of the potential exclusive games - but those games (like the Uncharted series and various RPGs) are all lacking in couch co-op and therefore probably will never get played anyway. The Xbox is currently $100 cheaper for the basic version, which is hard to argue with for the sake of some potential games that I will probably never play. Of course, it does have slightly inferior graphics. Also, the PS4 will be getting a refresh soon which may result in prices dropping on the older models.

So I guess what I’m asking is: are there some great couch co-op campaign-style exclusive games that should push me in one direction or the other? Is there any good reason, other than my sentimental attachment, for me to get a PS4 over an Xbox One?

Hmm. The only exclusive, couch co-op game I can think of for the Xbox One is Halo. Do you or your girlfriend have any particular love for that series or type of game? If not, I’d definitely recommend that you get a PS4. Not only is it smaller, quieter and produce better graphics than the Xbox One (generally speaking), it’s also got the benefit of PS+ which gives you a couple of free games each month if you pony up $5 a month for a subscription. The PS4 also generally has better indie games support, which is where you’ll find a lot of co-op games. It also has some very good exclusive games that trumps Xbox’s offering, in my opinion, with Bloodborne being the main one.

That’s sort of what I figured - and no, I’m not a Halo fan. Thanks Eric!

P.S. While I’m here, I’m also interested in recommendations for specific games that meet our criteria, whether exclusive or not.

Are you looking for co-operative games or competitive ones?

Hmm. The only exclusive, couch co-op game I can think of for the Xbox One is Halo. Do you or your girlfriend have any particular love for that series or type of game? If not, I'd definitely recommend that you get a PS4. Not only is it smaller, quieter and produce better graphics than the Xbox One (generally speaking), it's also got the benefit of PS+ which gives you a couple of free games each month if you pony up $5 a month for a subscription. The PS4 also generally has better indie games support, which is where you'll find a lot of co-op games. It also has some very good exclusive games that trumps Xbox's offering, in my opinion, with Bloodborne being the main one.
To be fair, as of this month Games With Gold also gives you a couple of free games a month with your Live sub on the EggBox.

I got the EggBox last year on a Black Friday deal, and while I don’t regret it given that the PS4’s now updated its media player if I didn’t have a current-gen console (and didn’t have a squillion pounds of Rock Band DLC I want access to when the new game comes out in the autumn) I’d probably lean toward the PS4.

Try looking here: http://www.co-optimus.com/games.php

You can select a system and then it displays a list of all games that are on the system that have co-op multiplayer. You can even sort the list so that all the couch-co-op games are at the top.

As for what console to get, I’ve kept with PS since the original one and haven’t been disappointed, but I’m sure there’s plenty to love on any console out there. Lately we’ve been having a lot of fun with Mario Kart 8 on my brother-in-law’s WiiU and there are a lot of couch co-op games available for it.

In your case, I’d wait for the 1 TB PS4 to release to see if the 500 GB version drops in price if you decide to go with a PS4.

Thanks guys!

Are you looking for co-operative games or competitive ones?
Preferably co-op. My girlfriend is a quick learner, but I still have about a 20-year head start on video gaming. :)

I think you can couch co-op Minecraft, if that holds any interest for you. That’d be an exclusive in X-Box’s favor.

I know Diablo 3 and Battlefront either aren’t available or might be unappealing, performance-wise, on it, but Donkey Kong on the Wii U was pretty awesome.

I think you can couch co-op Minecraft, if that holds any interest for you. That'd be an exclusive in X-Box's favor.

I know Diablo 3 and Battlefront either aren’t available or might be unappealing, performance-wise, on it, but Donkey Kong on the Wii U was pretty awesome.

Minecraft is not exclusive to X-Box. It’s on everything these days, including PS4.

I think you can couch co-op Minecraft, if that holds any interest for you. That'd be an exclusive in X-Box's favor.

Minecraft is not exclusive to X-Box. It’s on everything these days, including PS4.

Ah, I didn't realize it was residing on the PS4 these days. How magnanimous of Microsoft, given what they paid for Mojang.

I’d say go for a PS4 but there is a certain amount of bias behind that :wink:

At the moment co-op games wise both consoles have pretty much the same games. The main thing you need to look at is what exclusives games you like from both Sony and Microsoft and how happy you are with the power of the console you end up buying. In pure specs the PS4 is better and most multiplatform games look and run better on the PS4.

However I find that the Xbox One has better support for none gaming things. My Xbox One is my entertainment hub and we run our Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon Instant, etc. through it.

Also you can transfer your save data from the PS3 version of Diablo III to next gen ones so you can keep hacking away at the demon hordes :slight_smile:

thenerdtheword does make a good point. My X-Box One means I live in future times, when I talk to my entertainment center much of the time instead of reaching for a remote. I tell it to turn on, switch between games, TV, and apps like Netflix, fast forward, rewind, pause, mute… Which is pretty cool, but has also virtually replaced my beloved Logitech Harmony remote as evidence of its significant impact on my daily interactions. Of course, that requires the Kinect so you’re not looking at the cheapest package anymore, so I’m not sure whether that would affect your interest.

Of course, the other alternative is to get a PC and hook it up to your TV. PC/Steam is still the best place to play games (mostly) after all, and there’s a bunch of co-op games available there. For the same amount of money as a PS4 och Xbox One costs you could build a pretty decent gaming PC. Of course, PCs are a bit more of a hassle with driver upgrades and whatnot.

Me, I do both. I have PC hooked up to my TV on which I play most games, and then I have a PS4 which I mostly just use for console exclusives and whatever’s free on PlayStation+.

There was a great deal on a refurbished Xbox One with Kinect for Amazon Prime Day, but I convinced myself not to get it. I might have gone for it if I’d read these posts first… that voice control thing does sound pretty cool.

Anyway, I think I’ll probably go for the PS4, and I’ll probably wait until the new version drops in North America to see if the price goes down.

Also you can transfer your save data from the PS3 version of Diablo III to next gen ones so you can keep hacking away at the demon hordes :)

That’s the plan! :slight_smile:

Do people really think voice control is cool?

Maybe I’m just old, but the last thing I want is my console listening to me, or to be talking to myself to operate it, even considering that I live on my own so there’s no social pressure.

Do people really think voice control is cool?

Maybe I’m just old, but the last thing I want is my console listening to me, or to be talking to myself to operate it, even considering that I live on my own so there’s no social pressure.

It also taps into the common pet-peeve of needing to repeat oneself aloud when people aren’t paying attention to you as it inevitably doesn’t always understand your voice commands. Why talk at the thing twice or shout slowly and crisply at it once when I can just press some damn buttons quickly and quietly once?

My favorite example of why the technology is a bit crap was when Microsoft demoed the voice control for the Xbox One and caused Kinect owning users who were streaming from their 360 (or using it concurrently while streaming on their PC or what-have-you) a bevy of problems from shutting off their consoles to closing the stream and opening Xbox live to pausing the stream or their games.

The biggest culprit for voice commands not being recognized is competing conversation. So, yeah, I don’t use it much when people are over, opting instead for using a controller.

But there are so many useful voice commands that are just plain intuitive and duplicate multiple layers of clicking through menus (skipping directly to an app by name, for instance, vs. finding it in the “My Games and Apps” list when it’s not on the recently launched quickbar, or snapping the party window, etc.) that I find it incredibly useful and rarely annoying when I’m in the room by myself.

I couldn’t wait for the new model. Traded my PS3 and a pile of games in for about $110 off a PS4. It’s very pretty, and smaller and lighter than my first-edition PS3. So far we’ve only played Diablo on it, which is improved over the PS3 version (not least because the PS3 version is no longer being patched, so we got a bunch of updates all at once, and also because we now have the expansion), but doesn’t exactly show off the full capabilities of the system. Looking forward to trying something a bit prettier soon.

My personal Preference is PS4 for all the better features it provides, good for movie playing to can be treated as your home theatre system. The Games available for PS4 is pretty amazing with a vivid range of collection becoming a complete entertainment set.

1 Like