Home Videos Games Podcastle

What's The Worst Game In Your Collection? (And Why Is It Still In Your Collection?)

I meant older than the people, but still 1935 is impressive :smiley:

Or were you talking about the people too? . . .

I’m definitely a rip-off of an earlier, better design. My grandparents were like indestructible juggernauts of hardwork and perserverence through terrible times. I get cranky when the wi-fi is spotty.

Don’t move to Australia. The 0.5s lag when playing games might cause you to sink as far as ennui.

Probably my ‘worst’ game for some of the same reasons as above is the Game of Thrones Boardgame. I was terribly excited when I was bought it for one birthday but I have not, in over 3(4?) years, managed to get it to the table exactly zero times. It’s just too big and too long to justify the time when you’ve got little ones.

I just can’t get rid of it.

Oh god Quelf. I love the idea of Quelf so much, but it would be so much nicer (though admittedly harder to design) if the game gave you goals that weren’t explicit instructions to do something silly, but rather just created situations where silly things occurred. Instead of “put your shoe on your head,” I would have liked to see, “Keep your shoe somewhere other than your foot” and then new cards that required you to do something with your hands, and then you had to move in a certain way, and players would react by doing their own weird thing. Then you have to own your embarrassment instead of “I did this because the game said to.”

This aligns roughly with SUSD’s, I think podcast chat about this, where they concluded that it would benefit from a second edition to streamline the rules. I have a different perspective. I think the fiddliness of the rest of the game, it being long winded and mechanically obtuse I find is actually a benefit. I think as it’s so procedural you are forced to get a little wrapped up in it, which is both thematic to the experience and enhances the hidden roles aspect of the game. Dealing with that distraction and the ambiguities of how to do it well give the game depth and legs. Otherwise I’d just rather play a more social shorter one, where as this a board game that has that element rather than some social deduction aided by the cards and props you get with the rules pamphlet.

To be explicit I’m not saying either of us is right, and I really agree with everything else you have to say about it, just I have a different reaction to the elements of the game you don’t enjoy.

For me Euphoria is my worst game I have in my collection. I loved it at first, but sadly the curtain was pulled back and I find it sooo unengaging. It feels scripted and super boring. One friend loves it though, so I’d feel rude just dumping it.

Warriors is a game I really enjoy, but don’t feel I can defend it’s mechanics. It’s meant to have started life as risk the card game, and it’s as advanced as that sounds. Every time I play it, it’s 15 minutes of laughter and silliness. However I haven’t yet thrown out Dragon Hordes the expansion. It’s kind of impressive for just how bad it is and how much it ruins the game. The times we played with it, laughter stopped, fun evaporated and it didn’t replace them with any engagement of game play and tactics/puzzle. Always my first thought when bad expansions are mentioned.

It’s been a bit and I only skimmed my post, but I don’t think I ever said anything against how fiddly it is. It’s not the procedural-ness that gets in the way. It’s stuff like being a revealed Cylon is boring or nothing happens for long stretches or everyone figures out there’s no Cylon yet in the first half so the already uneven pacing gets an added dose of [cricket noise] whenever not much is happening. And so on and so forth. These aren’t a problem because they involve lots of components and procedures. They’re a problem because they don’t actually work in my estimation. They make the game a more murky and disenchanting experience.

I play plenty of games I would describe as procedurally complex, strategically deep, or “highly procedural” or what have you. BSG is on the fiddlier side of the middle of that spectrum as games in my collection go. It certainly has nothing on the COIN series.

None of this accounts for why I find BSG simultaneously one of the best exemplars of how to do the hidden traitor stuff well and one of the more awkward and disengaging games in my collection. Almost nothing in my collection has this many sit-and-twiddle-your-thumbs turns where nothing happens. That’s not fiddliness, that’s just awkward pacing.

I have the Iron Chef Board Game, and it’s still in my collection solely because I adore the (original) show. I bought it knowing full well it’s a pretty crappy game, though, so that possibly doesn’t fit with the intended tone of the thread.

I see, apologies for misconstruing your post. I think I took the awkward pacing to mean having to stop and do bits and took the comment about the space combat further through the rest of your issues than you intended. I had no wish to impugn your enthusiasm for fiddly or procedural games.

You’re fine, just wanted to be clear. :slight_smile:

Math[s] Fluxx was likely to be just about a certainty for me (bought and kept because a few rules tweaks could make it a decent semi-educational numbers practice game for my daughter?)

But now…

My wife’s just been gifted Bears vs Babies for her birthday. Haven’t played it yet, and not wanting to jump to conclusions… But I’m highly suspicious that this may LEAP to the top of the heap. Particularly when she opened the NSFW expansion (completely oblivious to it’s tone) and a condom dropped out. Hilarious marketing, I’m sure.

There is a way to shuffle the cards that there is a guaranteed Cylon in the first half of the game which is super important because if there is none the game gets pretty boring the first half.

I loved BSG but the last time we played it dragged super long and felt flat somehow. BSG has often these super exciting stories (I even have a diary with my BSG stories because they often were so great :slight_smile: )

But it is boring for Cylons sometimes so I bought the second expansion which adds the cylon fleet board which is great but makes it more complicated too. I would love a streamlined second edition!

It is not my worst game though :smiley: still too good for that title :wink:

I’ve had the opportunity to play with all of the expansions and it similarly just made me more ambivalent. Ignoring the special objectives, each expansion made the game better but longer, and more bloated to teach without entirely fixing some of the underlying pacing issues.

@EnterTheWyvern

Have either of you played Dark Moon? I really enjoy BSG and I find it wholly unsatisfying for some reason. I got the BSG Express version from a local charity auction to try out (was really pretty excited about that find), but I’ve yet to try it out to see if it’s the lack of IP or something decided in house at Stronghold that makes it not at all appealing to me. I want to like it. It just has this very sterile feel to me.

I wasn’t impressed by Dark Moon at first, but since I saw this I want to give it a try:

Yes every time we played with new people we had to play the Vanilla version even though it is worse without the Cylon Fleet board (which gives human pilots and revealed cylons more to do) because it is way too complicated to teach all of that at once.

I just ordered Elevenses the other day, knowing full well that it probably isn’t very good. The theme was literally irresistible to me. Mind you, I’ve been resisting it (albeit barely) for a few years now. I suspect the fact that I’ve been reading Wodehouse may have tipped the balance.

Python-opoly, received from a friend. It’s like Monopoly, but without auctions, so it is unequivocally worse than Monopoly.

Still in my collection because I have the shelf space and the bin is the only conceivable way to get rid of it.

There’s a whole bunch of RPG fans at work who have a fairly regular game of Talisman. I might need to try it.

Rab Florence is touring Scotland doing stand - up just now, I should probably go watch.

No one mentioned The Firefly boardgame yet? With more than 3 players? Or played more than once?

I love the theme, but I do not understand why that property is the one my circles have spent the most money on by far. I think 4 copies of the main game and a dozen upgrades. It’s not a game.

I won a session that we played over Hogmanay with 6 players by scoring all-the-points to no-one-else-has-any, and should have been running around celebrating. That would be a justified opportunity to be obnoxious for nearly 53 runs. Instead it became that thing we don’t talk about any more.

The players don’t interact. At all. The game is basically identical at the end and the beginning, and the idea of adding player - written stories would be cool if those stories weren’t all “it puts the lotion in the basket, it takes the basket somewhere”. Also many of the turns are “I attempt to mine out this location for items that are overpowering”.

In summary it needs: cunning hijinks with some cunning/fun/story/anything/variety. Player interaction, everyone to be limited to 1 minute per turn, I’m going to mention story again (it’s Firefly, that’s what it should live on), vastly more variety in its overwhelming items (like shuffle them in, and have them trade across planets, so the first 8 turns aren’t a deathly boring buying run). Might be salvaged, but mostly I’d like to add pyrotechnics so that if I get stuck in a game again and the opportunity arises I can get extra entertainment value from setting it on fire.

The most complained about one I actually own is Lords of Scotland. It’s in the same series as Parade and Arboretum. Z-man were killing it there, but LoS is just a bit too complex to explain. It’s not simple enough to be an opener, but not meaty enough to be the main event of an evening. I feel like a lot of small/quick games are very full flavored - so small they’re about just one thing: if your group is one where that didn’t land then a (maybe?) good name gets maligned.