Home Videos Games Podcastle

What's The Worst Game In Your Collection? (And Why Is It Still In Your Collection?)

Probably Linkee 2 - it’s not a bad trivia game, as trivia games go, but whenever I’ve played it, at least one person seems to end up with no correct answers and feels fed up. I keep it because I wrote some of the cards!

The intersection between non-gamers and the gaming community is always interesting to me. For example, if you’re not a gamer, a roll ‘n’ move horror-themed kickstarter was apparently the best game of 2016: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/03/08/rejoice-mixtape-massacre-is-back-and-getting-an-expansion

My favorite quote from the “Mixtape Massacre” article:

“Everything you see here is as top quality as it appears to be”

(next to a picture of a cardboard standee of a murderous clown on a board defined with a grid of small squares)

They didn’t even put in transparent standee holders! The murder clown’s feet are hidden by red plastic! And the cards look pretty flimsy. And the font choices aren’t great.

I’ll admit that the custom dice look pretty nice, though.

The dice are really the only thing about that game that looked nice in any of the pictures posted.

One of the comments:

It’s almost as if they never play tested the game…

But it’s definitely The Best Game Of 2016 because, umm… friends?!

I was half wanting to @ Paul on Twitter and tell him about Bear Valley like an obnoxious git.

It’s odd because Andrew Todd was starting to do some pretty good boardgame coverage over there. It’s a great site for movies, and I’m fairly active in the comments, but the Mondo huckstership can be a bit much.

Edit: Just realized I should have done this as one post. My bad.

My worst game on the ol’ gaming shelf would have to be Quelf. It’s a party game that usually on your turn forces you to embarrass yourself for the entertainment of your friends.

Cranium. There are no words.

Munchkin Fu. What was I thinking?

Probably Dominion because Artic Scavengers replaced it. I also can’t be bothered to expand it with more expansions when Artic has mostly everything you could need in one box.

Burning Wheel - nobody to play with. So that makes it bad.

I don’t alllllways agree with @quinns’ reviews. It’s natural! We’re not the same people. But when he has some kind of mechanical problem with a game, even if I try very hard to pretend it’s not there, I find that he is right.

A while back, in a podcast ages ago, he talked about Say Bye to the Villains. He had played it and haaated it. It was random and ridiculous - the epitome of ‘I play this card you lose’ but on the side of the game against the players.

But for some reason I was feeling… Super Hubris. “C’mon Quinns,” I said to an invisible Quinns nearby, “you’re just being a wet blanket. The theme is great, the art is gorgeous, just because you weren’t able to appreciate this game, doesn’t mean I won’t! I happen to really like Kurosawa films.”

But holy crap is it random. And exactly the sort of puzzle my gaming group can’t be bothered to tease out. I’m sure that I could figure out how to minimize the chances of being caught off-guard by the devastating villain cards, but there is no situation where people play this game enough with me to have that happen.

But I can’t bring myself to reveal to my significant other that I bought this game purely to express my ability to disagree with a man I have only spoken to twice super-awkwardly at a convention. Also the box is small and looks nice.

Surprising no-one, I love this story.

I have thought long and hard about this, and the Worst Game In MY Collection would have to be Rollout: The Game of the Risk-Takers. Sounds exciting, but it isn’t. It is a sort of industrial wargame where the players assume the role of CEO of an international technology company trading in TVs, Home Computers, and Radios (the game is from the late '80s). It involves lots of paper money, a really boring world map that is mostly text, and pencils. Lots of pencils. Because stuff needs to be written down.

The BGG entry is here:

It makes the grade as the WORST because I have never played it, I have never had a desire to play it, I don’t want to play it now, nor will I ever play it in the future. I only bought it at first because I am a completionist and it was the second (and final) design released by Supremacy Games of Toronto. Their other product (Supremacy) was a severely flawed masterpiece, but Rollout has lots of the former and none of the latter. Trust me, I’ve read the rules. Yawn.

What is nice about it is that the pieces and currency used are identical to those used in Supremacy, so they can be impressed into service for its cousin game in a pinch. Plus, my copy is basically unused, which appeals to the antiquarian in me. And despite being as boring to look at as anything ever made, I actually like the visual design. Very 1980s, and I am all about the '80s. So, it should come as no surprise that I would never sell or otherwise dispose of it. After all, it occupies a hallowed place in my core collection, and I love all of the games in that whether they are any good, or fun to play, or not.

I also technically bought Imperial Settlers despite your warning that the puzzle is way more tight and brutal than the art would suggest. But Imperial Settlers is awesome, just difficult to get to the table because very competitive puzzles are also not my group’s fave.

So basically you are my rival.

I kickstarted Till Dawn when I was first getting into the hobby. This game is Way too simple, has almost no strategy to it, and look at the shape of the box

As to why I still have it, some of the components are actually quite nice and it helps as a reminder to be a bit more picky about what I back on kickstarter.

Dark Souls - The Board Game; takes too long for my group to get it to the table, also because the theme doesn’t resonate with everyone. Still in my collection 'cause I wasn’t able to sell it to someone yet… :frowning:

Monopoly, because it’s probably older than anyone here. c1950 IIRC.

1935, and ripped off from a 1903 design.