Home Videos Games Podcastle

What do you collect? (Other than board games, obvs.)

So, we’ve got a thread for game collections and the watch thread, but I’m sure some of you lot collect other stuff :smiley:

I’ve got various little collections of certain things (guitars, playing cards, pop figures, etc), but the one I’ve put actual effort into is my various copies of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass.

Including books with illustrations by Rodney Matthews (in Russian), Yayoi Kusama, Tove Jansson, Camille Rose Garcia, and Rene Cloke (from the 1940s - a gift from a friend).

The other three have the original Tenniel illustrations - my original Penguin Classics version, The Annotated Alice, and a version in French.

Also pictured is Alice in Sunderland, which I got signed by Bryan Talbot.

7 Likes

I’m not sure collect is the right word, but I have a good number of Gundam model kits. I’ve got a pretty even split between 1/100 and 1/144 scale kits, though my biggest one is the 1/60 Wing Zero Custom from Gundam Wing Endless Waltz.

The eyes and chest light up and it is very articulated. It’s a pretty awesome model!

7 Likes

Very boring answer but a very true one: Books

6 Likes

Yeh, I didn’t count that one because it’d be like saying I collect food.

6 Likes

Good answer :smiley:

Once I started a small collection of historical items from the old Roman empire. It isn’t too big unfortunately…

2 Likes

Somewhere I have a bunch of Roman and Nebatean pottery shards from Jerash and Petra.

4 Likes

Wow that sounds nicer (and more exotic) than my pottery shards from Carnuntum in Austria :wink:

3 Likes

Aside from watches, which are covered here on another thread, and books, which I suspect virtually everyone here collects; I collect firearms. My job makes this rather easy for me. My collection used to run towards early 20th century military rifles, but work gives me access to way more than I could ever personally afford, so it’s been shifting over the past few years towards big game rifles. I have a real affinity for medium caliber dangerous game rifles and own several chambered for the legendary .375 Holland & Holland Belted Magnum. Lately, my acquisitions have been chambered for the underappreciated, German-designed 9.3x62mm Mauser cartridge, developed by Otto von Bock between the Wars. This has the same impeccable versatility of the .375, but with less recoil. I hunt for meat, and shoot for recreation, so less recoil is important. In fact, I recently acquired a Ruger No. 1 single-shot in 9.3x62mm, which is a real rarity (I love single-shots! When you only have one shot, it’s got to count). However, the best thing I’ve squirreled away recently is a Lee-Enfield magazine sporting rifle in .303 (“Rule .303!!!” - Breaker Morant) by the Army & Navy Cooperative Society of London (Val Kilmer used one in The Ghost and the Darkness). Mine was made in 1912 and was bought by the Royal Navy and issued to an auxiliary trawler during WW1.

I have also recently begun to collect military swords with an emphasis on US Civil War swords made by Christopher Roby of Chelmsford, Massachusetts (Right down the road from me!).

4 Likes

I spent several years in Jordan as a child. That stuff was all over the place then. Nobody cared if you took some.

3 Likes

I collect coffee mugs of places I’ve been or things I like. They are not rare, expensive, or eye-catching, but they are practical, which may say something about me. I do note that, rather than being stuck behind glass or collecting dust on a shelf, they get handled whenever I have people over. There are occasional requests for a particular mug (for example, S likes my PBS NewsHour mug).

The collection also isn’t all that big since, beyond souvenir mugs, not many people sell them. Reading Rainbow had a mug as part of its Kickstarter campaign. The ACLU and the webcomic Girl Genius have mugs in their stores.

Once, I designed my own mug. After being disappointed not finding a mug I liked at Wizarding World of Harry Potter, I purchased some artwork off an artist I found online, added some song lyrics, and got a custom mug printed. But this is starting to wander from the topic of “collection”…

7 Likes

zines, protest signs, broken hearts

12 Likes

Yeah. I have a few of those too.

Oh geez, I collect so much stuff! I collect video games, comic books, toys, books, art, statues (mostly of pop culture characters from comics or movies), Pez dispensers, lunchboxes, movie posters, neighborhood watch signs (it kind of proves that they were not watching, eh?), and various other stuff.

I also seem to collect (and most get gifted by friends and family) products related to a certain thing or brand. I get a lot of random things related to Batman, Penguins, Armadillos, and for some reason… the Pillsbury Doughboy (I like the giggle).

I have a ton of stuff in storage because I don’t want to live around piles of this stuff. But someday I’ll have an amazing garage sale before they put me on an episode of Hoarders (nerd edition).

4 Likes

Postcards :smiley:

3 Likes

Oddly enough, I have many gun and military related postcards at the office.

1 Like

I tend to buy them when I travel, have friends send me them when they travel, and also buy them at museums as souvenirs :smiley:

3 Likes

PM me with your mailing address and I’ll send you one. :relaxed:

I am nothing if not generous. Plus I love giving people stuff! Anyway, we are all friends here. I’m happy to do it.

2 Likes

Yeah the same in Austria in the area where I spent one month. Carnuntum was the capital of a Roman province with two legions, today there are two small villages and on the fields you can find a lot of stuff. Unfortunately no coins because the metal detectors do a good job :wink: but still a lot of pottery.

To see these remnants after so many years still lying around where everybody can find them is great.

2 Likes

Instruments, maps, books, really fresh coins because they’re shiny, and rocks. None of my collections are particularly “good” other than my board game collection. I certainly like the things in them but they’re not things that Collectors would be very interested in. Nothing really old or rare or of quality or what-have-you.

3 Likes

In short videogames books and comics.
But also static models, miniatures, Legos, rings, old toys, cool stuff, cards, one Gundam model and probably more stuff that I do no teven remember.
Perhaps the true answer would be experiences?
I do collect … collections, meaning that I also collect attempts at collecting. I simply get intrigued by anything that looks interesting and different from what I already have or experienced and always try (if wallet permits) to “taste” it and more often than not I get hooked and stuck with some of that stuff for life (check short answer).

I also collect friends using the same sorting mechanics and the fun thing is that those collections interact with each other :grin:

1 Like