Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you singing along to?

I don’t listen to a lot of hip hop, but I just can’t stop listening to this. It’s fantastic.

A Tribe Called Red have basically invented a new genre of music, indigenous electronic music, and their role in promoting and empowering indigenous people and culture is really something special. And how could you go wrong teaming up with Mos Def and Narcy (Iraqi-Canadian hip hop artist)?

We had Five Guys for lunch, so we’ve been grooving to this:

Arcade Fire’s Everything Now has leaked! Listened to it 4 or 5 times today. It’s great - not quite up to Arcade Fire’s usual standard by a slither, but still really good.

Mistadobalina, Mr. Bob Dobalina
Mistadobalina, Mr. Bob Dobalina

It’s been raining all day, so a dose of Indie Rock Gold was in order to complement the weather.

I’ve singing along to this Morten Harket (of A-ha fame) song, Brother. But the video is kind of weird and looks very uncomfortable for the singer (I suspect that he lost a bet):

…aaaaaand now you’ve got the Cap’n Jazz cover of Take On Me stuck in my head. It’s gonna take days to drag that earworm out. My brain can’t even register the original version anymore.

At my daughter’s request, I’ve been singing along to “the silly song,” better known as the MST3K theme.

The real charming part is listening to her (age 4) do her damnedest to keep up.

Cap’n Jazz! I used to voraciously consume everything the Kinsella brothers did. Still listen to Owen (Mike Kinsella) all the time and American Football once in a while.

Oh wow, while not a Kinsella band, I forgot that Maritime also came out of Cap’n Jazz.

Oh, man. Davey von Bohlen and the Promise Ring kindled my still-raging love affair with the Dismemberment Plan and the various bands of J. Robbins (Jawbox, Burning Airlines, etc.) at a show my freshman year of college. It took a few years to stumble backwards to Cap’n Jazz, who, as it turns out, drove my roommates insane. Gotta have one of those albums in rotation from time to time, right?

Nick Drake is first to spring to mind

Broken Social Scene are like nothing else. Indie rock with an almost orchestral composition

Ben Folds is great, but you may need to be selective if you want to avoid the downbeat lyrics. Nothing too down, but some are a little darker

First Aid Kit have the folky, slightly country harmonies going on

Efterklang are a slightly jazzier/poppier Sigur Ros-type sound

Scarlett Johanson’s Tom Waits cover album is really great for chilling, almost lullaby sound for the children. Tom Waits doesn’t have the happiest of lyrics, but I think she brings a real brightness to them so they don’t sound too down.

The post above about Broken Social Scene reminded me that Feist (who got her start with Broken Social Scene, much like a staggering number of insanely talented Toronto musicians) fits your warm and positive music needs perfectly I think.

Never watched the show, know every word to the theme tune.

Best accompanied by ridiculous 90’s boy band hand gestures.

*downward fist motion.

These guys are my current obsession. Like if My Bloody Valentine were a doom band. And a contender for the greatest band name ever.

Clearly, you’ve forgotten “King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard.” That said, Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard are so much more my jam than Australian psychedelic rock, even if you can give the KG&tLW folks props for being prolific.

If I’m gonna invest in a band that releases multiple albums a year, though, it’s gotta be Boris-level madness.

I’m very much digging the new Beck album right now, really uplifting

Also really liking the track “can’t do” from Everything Everything, the rest of the album I’m not really sure about yet.

And something completely different that manages to pull on my heartstrings is Kele Okereke (ex. Bloc Party):

And I could continue for an hour or 2 with other stuff. I won’t :slight_smile:

Ah yes, definitely another contender.

And I love Boris. Pink is a masterpiece of somehow making chaotic noisiness catchy.

Just listened to a new song by Alvvays and I’m really liking it like every other song they’ve ever made, but the music video is particularly neat. They’ve been edited into archival footage from the 1967 Universal Exhibition in Montreal. I can’t believe it, but I just learned that over 50 million people attended Expo 67 in a city that had a population of about 1.8 million at the time. That is 15 million people more than the entire current population of Canada. That’s mind blowing. By comparison, only about 2 million attended the London Olympics.

I’ve also been listening to my go-to haunting autumn band Pygmy Lush.

Sang “Nessun Dorma” from Turandot along with the late Maestro in the car today.

I am hampered by the fact that I am a Bass/Baritone, not a Tenor. Doesn’t stop me from trying when nobody’s in earshot though! I’m more comfortable with something like “O Isis und Osiris” from Die Zauberflöte.