Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you singing along to?

Have you seen his cover of Black Sabbaths ‘Changes’? Because you should. Made me tear up at work when it came on you youtube shuffle.

As am I. It’s reminding me of something I used to listen to in my youth, but can’t currently remember. It’s going to bother me until I find whatever it’s reminding me of though.

Brodka seems to be music I can get on board with, even if the opening to Up In The Hill creeped me out. Eyes. Too many eyes.
The second song you’ve linked there is also good, although I feel like I’m missing out not being able to speak the language.

My Introduction to Ska is the Australian ‘The Cat Empire’, so this is a nice change. Although I might not be able to stop giggling at the way the lyrics/vocals/language seems to be at odds to the music. It adds a weirdly hilarious darker edge to what I normally associate with something that’s aggressively happy.

This is hilariously weird and wonderful. The band name fits that song and with an album named Pacifisticuffs, I feel obligated to listen to all of it. Which I will. Later.

Took me way way to long to work out where I knew his name from. Turns out, from 8in8 which I discovered via Neil Gaiman and more specifically ‘The Problem With Saints’. Never occurred to me to check out the other band members. More fool me.

This is definitely something I can get behind. Reminds me of something my Uncle showed me in my teens, which if I recall correctly (which is rare) was Native American chanting with electronic (think Moby). It was great, with a kind of relaxing energy to it. Unfortunately I never learnt the artists name and I haven’t been able to find it since the MP3 player it was on fell in the river.

New Zealand represent!
Sorry, I’ll stop that now.

I’ve never heard this before, and guitars don’t normally do much for me, but about 30 seconds in I made an ‘Oooooo’ noise of approval.
I suspect if this were a record I would wear it out fairly quickly.

@fodder256 MUETE is amazing. I’ve performed in the street, myself (not busking, just trying to attract attention to the shop I was working at, or just trying to entertain innocent bystanders as I was walking to lunch),
performing and busking at that level is phenomenal.

Bit more French stuff for you

RENAN LUCE - La lettre

Get Up - Chinese Man

Pink Martini - Je Ne Veux Pas Travailler

Les Fatals Picards - L’amour à la française

GiedRé - TouTes des PuTes

This looks interesting, lets watch… good tune… interesting. I wonder what she is singing about.

Translates lyrics

HOLY CRAP I WAS LISTENING TO THIS AT SCHOOL IN FULL VOLUME!

We teach French!

I really, really hope no-one heard it… :stuck_out_tongue:

This made me have to look it up. Just…wow…

@COMaestro it’s actually a feminist song to show the absurdity on how women are treated in society and by using the word over and over the impact of the word become redundant and therefore the chauvinist pigs can not using as an insult…

And it’s interesting, and a damn good tune. But still. AAAGGGHHHH!

(I genuinely found this interesting.)

More French songs for @MrJackdaw

Katerine - Louxor J’Adore

Carlos : Big bisous

Pierre Perret - Le Zizi

Oh, I assumed as much. You can’t have that much…interesting language for lyrics and not be somewhat satirical in intent.

And one in return for @Tadd31!

The French are weird. Sometimes even in a good way!

Then again… so are the English…

Thank you, I really hope the British can go back to be more silly to be honest…especially in the current climate… @MrJackdaw

The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band Equestrian Statue

Vivian Stanshall’s Big Grunt - 11 Mustachioed Daughters

It’s Just Not Cricket

THE RUTLES - Cheese And Onions

French songs:

Katerine - Moustache

How can you not love this?

Les Beadochons - Pas d’papier Water

This is song about been stuck in a loo without any toiler rolls

As de Trefle - Ca ou d’la merde

This is a song about doing anything else than listening to shit music

Mc Solaar - Bouge de là

A classic French song that you probably know about the day in a life of someone that couldn’t care less about anything.

The soundtrack to Baby Driver, one of the most elaborate and broad soundtracks (<-a link to samples and track list) for a heist movie ever. Seriously, it had me at Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers.

I have been on a big Gackt trip lately. Probably because I found a new (to me) show he’s in that I have been digging.
He is a Japanese artist, kinda been described like (David Bowie or Michael Jackson) and is my absolute favorite singer.
While the songs are in Japanese a language I am not fluent in, I kinda mumble through half, and am pretty good at other bits.
I also have been cooking a lot for the holidays and I set up a tablet with a YouTube playlist, and it makes cooking so much fun.
I am
(Still figuring out maneuvering the forums so link might not show, ? Put a YouTube vid so it shows)

(https://youtu.be/RUnWiQTIm6o)
https://youtu.be/ANPQDudDGKQ
5ec1d1338aed19ac99acbdb96b1fd07d|331x500

Reading a news story about the new Ex Hex record coming out in March (long overdue, I might add) got me to reading about singer/guitarist Mary Timony’s impeccable indie-rock pedigree. An article in Pitchfork led me to this great video of a great song I had totally forgotten about, by “super-group” Wild Flag (featuring Timony, Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney, etc.)

I will take any new Ex Hex / Wild Flag / Sleater Kinney whenever the universe bestows it. If only I could get my kids to sing along.

(They will dance along. Just gotta get their verbal skills up to par.)

Two big new artist discoveries (for me) that I’m totally overplaying and loving it.

1. VULFPECK:
    https://youtu.be/jRHQPG1xd9o
    MY GOOD HEAVENS they are so funky. And those bass-fills??!

2. YEBBA
    https://youtu.be/RXwE1G7_U9M
    The content of this song is not relevent to me, yet I feel like I’m going through a horrific marital disaster every time I listen? I’m not an emotional person, and her vocal performance/nuance/passion just drags feelings out of me.

I have no idea where’s best to post this, so we’ll just drop it here.

I’m not yet singing along to this, as it just appeared today, but the Mountain Goats have just released Younger from their forthcoming album, In League with Dragons. Which, if we’re being honest with ourselves, I’ll be singing along with starting on April 26th, the day the album drops. Probably my daughter, too, and her best-effort made-up lyrics will be amazing, I’m sure.

But here’s the thing. It’s basically an album about D&D, which is like a giddy collision of far-flung worlds that’s got me all kinds of excited. Even if I haven’t done any RPG stuff in twenty years, probably more.

It’d be like Jawbox doing a surprise album inspired by Andrei Tarkovsky’s sci-fi films. I know they’re reuniting for a tour this summer (which I can’t manage to catch), so, I dunno. Maybe I should cross my fingers?

EDIT: Apparently the Mountain Goats are doing their release announcement in conjunction with Wizards of the Coast. Calm down, thirteen-year-old inner me.

So I listened to this, liked it, told my friend who’s really into them (and was a huge D&D head back in the day) about the record, and then tonight, my family and his family went out for my birthday dinner. He says to me, hey, “Happy Birthday! Thanks to you, I remembered to look on their tour schedule, so I bought two tickets and we’re gonna go see 'em!” They’re playing here in LA in SEPTEMBER so there will be plenty of time to build up anticipation. Anyway, if you’re ever in the LA area, I owe you at LEAST a free drink for triggering this happy chain of events.

I’m holding out for the Fugazi album about the X-Files, personally.

Nice! Happy birthday, indeed!

My thirteen-year-old inner me is totally on board.