Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

I’m currently reading Daughters of the Winter Queen by Nancy Goldstone. It’s an interesting book (about 50% of the way through) about James I’s daughter Elizabeth and four of her daughters. While it’s supposedly about the daughters, there’s a lot of history of the English Civil War and the 30 Years War in this book as well.

I’m liking it so far. Goldstone is a great author and I’ve always enjoyed her books.

Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James.

It’s a dark fantasy based on African folklore and mythology. I saw Neil Gaiman hyping it on Twitter (I think) and I’m generally a huge Gaiman fan, interested in reworkings of mythology, and interested in branching out beyond the more familiar to me Greek myths and general European folklore. The writing style was a bit difficult for me at first. There is a narrator within framing scenes around and during other parts of the story and I couldn’t always pick out the transition points. I kept going and now that I’ve got a better handle on the narrator’s voice, I can flow with the story and transitions and I’m enjoying it.

Words of Radiance (Book 2 of The Stormlight Archive Series) by Brandon Sanderson

He is a writer i tend to enjoy even though he has some overlapping themes/powers/magic between some of his series. Each book is a gigantic tome but so far i am really enjoying this and apparently according to Sanderson this was the series he always wanted to write so i will give him the benefit of the doubt :stuck_out_tongue:

Working on the 5th Game of Thrones book. I’m a little confused about the time line, but I think it’s currently back in the present? Tyrion got kidnapped and then it seemed like we skipped some time. I’m enjoying it. Soon I’ll be able to complain about waiting for the 6th book.

A Dance with Dragons does share a lot of the same timeline as A Feast for Crows for at least the first half of the book. I think they were originally supposed to be a single novel, but the amount of content meant that this couldn’t be achieved without dramatic cuts. As different characters are geographically split at this point of the story, this was used to divide the narrative between the two books.

I heartily recommend Steven Erikson’s Malazan Books of the Fallen. Best epic fantasy I’ve ever read. After that I couldn’t continue with WoT anymore.

I agree but it’s definitely an investment as it’s not easy to get through 10k+ pages and might not be Fantasy for everyone as it is relatively dark.

It is an investment to read WoT too and MBotF is definitely the better one to invest into :slight_smile:

Also there are amazing guides for book 1 and book 2 now to help ease people into it.

Don’t forget about the Tor reread :slight_smile: It’s sounds crazy to go the extra mile, but it’s rewarding.

I just started with The Way of Kings from Sanderson I really needed a break from MBotF. Reapers Gale was a long ride. I find the different writing style per character great, but sometimes also tiresome. Sanderson’s simplicity is a relief :wink:

I have just started reading The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch - holy crap what an opening to a book. I have no idea where its going, but … jesus. If you’re a fan of science fiction and grim crime fiction then I would recommend it - so far.

I’m now on The Gate to Women’s Country by Sheri S. Tepper not finished but ~80% of the way through

It’s very interesting both because of the story itself (as well as the themes/thoughts it presents) but also because it’s obviously very feminist but of a flavour that is very second wave (it was written in 1988).

That being said it’s not griping as I expect sci-fi to be and there are some bits that are problematic through today’s eyes. Worth a read though but it’s certainly a book that requires effort.

Finally finished Crooked Kingdom, the sequel to Six of Crows. I really need to start reading more again…
Anyways, started Red Rising the other day. I had a couple of friends that really enjoyed it, so I’m giving it a go.

Finished Black Leopard, Red Wolf. It was definitely darker than my norm. I’m still sort of digesting it so haven’t really decided how I feel about it. I think I enjoyed it. I’m definitely still thinking about the ideas in it and I’ll keep going with the planned trilogy as the later books are published. But I also don’t think I’ll ever re-read it and I’ll be pretty hesitant about recommending it to others.

After that, I read The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal. It was so much lighter and more fun of a read that it felt like a breath of fresh air and I flew through it and immediately grabbed the sequel, The Fated Sky. I’d definitely recommend these to fans of any of: space exploration, sci fi, alternate history, and the book/film Hidden Figures. They are set in an alt 1950s in which space flight started just a bit earlier and a meteor crashes off the Atlantic coast of the US, wiping out most the major cities along there and setting off global climate changes that are likely to result in the extinction of humanity. It follows the story of one of the human computers as space colonization becomes humanities only hope but the sexism, racism, etc. of the 1950s are limiting the ability to do that effectively.

I’ve finished with Gone World and would love to whole-heartedly recommend that one. Its dark and pretty violent but it really hit a sweet spot for me. I’ve also just finished I’m Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid - that boy really knows how to write a twisting and bizarre plot. Recommended along with Foe.

Leaving me with what I am currently reading: Precious Cargo by Craig Davidson - non-fiction book about the year the author spent driving a bus for special needs children. Reading it partially for work and partially for pleasure, but its really great so far. I find his portrayal of the kiddos in the book to be really humanising rather than the typical paternalistic or diminishing tone we tend to take when it comes to children with special needs.

Planning to start Thrawn soon - but maybe something else. We’ll see how it goes.

So I finished “The Lies of Locke Lamora” and it was terrific - also having played Blades in the Dark - you can definitely see the influence! Though I feel like it wrapped things up so well by the end I may not even read the sequels… It’s an odd feeling, - anyone else had that feeling w/ Locke or another series?

I’m now trying to get started on “Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell”. But i’m struggling to get into it by 80 pages in. Is it worth persisting with? Does it get more interesting? I think i’d feel bad ditching it before meeting title character #2

"Small Gods" is also on the to-read stack on a friend’s recommendation.

After a long period of reading Horror / Polar, I went back to fantasy. Well, I get back to Diskworld. And that’s great. Always.

I think the answer is probably no. I like the book, but I think after 80 pages I knew what I was getting, and I was already enjoying it.

I know exactly what you mean regarding the Lies of Locke Lamora. Honestly, it might be a good idea. I think the first book is the best but also - I’ve had the 4th book on pre-order for years. I don’t think that thing’s ever coming out. Save yourself the heartache!

Meanwhile, Small Gods is great.

Edit: I should probably contribute to the wider discussion.

I just finished reading The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet which was a delightful read despite some poor character writing. One of those where the main characters have superficial flaws but are essentially infallible. But the universe is vibrant and enjoyable. And the characters are likeable.

I just started The Puzzler and it’s looking promising.

I have the exact same feeling. I loved the book, but did not read the sequels.

I found JS&MN to be a slog for a very long time. Many people whose opinions I value on literature kept telling me to stick with it so I did. I found the last 150-200 pages to be absolutely brilliant and fantastic. I’m still not convinced those last couple hundred were worth the however many hundreds came before, but I did find it got better for me.