Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

Oh a thread about books! My most favouritest things :heart_eyes:

I’m currently reading an anthology of short stories featuring Lovecraft’s Monsters (and that’s the title of the anthology), A Mythos Encyclopedia (interesting but helps me drop of to sleep as there are no surprise plot twists), The Iliad, and I’m just starting to read the cookbook Midnight Chicken.

I’ve actually just finished a Mythos tale, After the End of the World by Johnathan L. Howard. It’s the sequel to Carter and Lovecraft, and hugely enjoyable. It picks off after the end of the first book with the protagonists now in an alternative world as written about in Lovecraft’s stories, where Arkham is a real place, and there’s a lot of strange things going on at the Miskatonic Uni. I think both books are a great examples of Lovecraft done well, capturing the creeping dread and otherworldly horror (but without resorting to italics for the truly unspeakable).

Oh, that series is on my TBR list. I also just picked up the first Sherlock vs Cthulu book :slight_smile:

I finished up Starconvoy EH-76 by our very own @Marx09. It was a good read. A little tropey feeling at times but not to the point of eye-rolling or anything. Characters were entertaining, the setting believable (for sci-fi) and the writing flowed naturally.

Moving on to The Kinslayer War by Douglas Niles.

Well, I have taken the plunge and decided to read the Robert Jordan “Wheel of Time” 14-doorstopper-series. I’m 3.5 books in and enjoying them very much, even though the story is drawn out to a ludicrous degree and the books seem laden with what have become fantasy cliches (through no fault of Jordan’s, I suspect). I think I am very much a typical high fantasy fan/addict in that as far as I’m concerned, the more pointless detail and superfluous worldbuilding you do, the happier I am. From this vantage point, it’s really hard to see how Jordan could have stretched the story out to so many volumes, but I guess I’ll find out.
Also, I finished the 7 main “Rivers of London” books. I am actually pleased that they seem to have gotten better over the series, rather than petering out (no pun intended) into monotony and repetition. I think my only complaint is that tonally there is no variation in the books. Peter always seems to be speaking from the same emotional stance–very curious, vaguely frustrated, snarky but overall even-tempered. Even some of the horrible stuff that happens doesn’t seem to affect his emotional state to the point where you feel it while reading the books. It reminds me in an uncomfortable way of Stross’s “Laundry Files” series, where all the characters speak in the same “too cool for school” voice. Or anything by John Scalzi, for that matter. I love Scalzi’s stories but I can’t stand the fact that every character talks like John Scalzi’s blog.

Good luck with the Wheel of Time. I got 8-9 books into it before I realized I was no longer enjoying it and dropped the series entirely. By that point there was only one or two characters I liked reading about and everything else was just drudgery until I could get back to those characters. I hope your enjoyment of the series lasts.

I’m lucky, I guess.

I only lasted 5 books before I realized I was bored to tears.

My holiday reading saw me get through Rivers of London and The Fifth Season. I liked Rivers pretty much immediately and throughout, The Fifth Season took longer to get going with but triggered a few “oh wow!” moments toward the end as things clicked into place. Both I’m now keen to pick up the follow-up novels to so there’s that.

I also made a start on The Lies of Locke Lamora and its been quite entertaining so far. :slight_smile:

Earlier this week I finished reading Jack Vances The Book Of Dreams, the last title in the Demon Princes series - a Sci-Fi series that came out mainly in the 60s.

While the books’ covers, titles and the cliché Sci-Fi setting makes you think these books are average stuff at best I actually love the writing. Vance has a subtle humor and his (now retro-)futuristic vision of the future is amazing.

Glad I picked it up just because of the cover of “Die Mord Maschine” (The Killing Machine). Only real downside is the way Vance tumbles the main story at times. The structure and ending of each episode is subpar. However, I really enjoyed it a lot and highly recommend it to Sci-Fi aficionados :slight_smile:

Just don’t know what to read next…anyone know of something similar?

I haven’t read Vances, so I’m afraid I can’t help specifically, but if you’re looking for fantastic sci-fi with subpar endings, I strongly recommend Iain M. Banks.

I’m not being flippant. I love those books, and Banks has an amazing grasp of setting, world-building, and creating fantastic characters and situations… and the endings are all mediocre to poor.

Still, worth a read.

Other than that, classic sci-fi I love includes Pournelle/Niven (“The Mote in God’s Eye”, and the sequel “The Gripping Hand” are both good, but I suspect the others they worked on are probably pretty solid as well), the “Lost Fleet” series by Jack Campbell, or anything by David Brin (the “Uplift Saga” Book 2 is particularly amazing).

Currently reading The Annotated The Hobbit. Fascinating look at the development of the book.

I think my favourite bit is that it has art from illustrated editions around the world. Different cultures have amazingly different views on what trolls, for instance, look like.

Lucifer’s Hammer is quite good.

Currently getting through Six of Crows, which is basically a fantasy heist book. The cast of characters are pretty amazing and diverse, so I am excited to see where the book goes.

Now reading The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went To War In 1914. It’s quite dense, in a good way.

I’ve read a lot about the war itself, but have now discovered that there’s a lot of academic discussion about the causes and “who’s to blame”. This book says it’s more nebulous than most people believe, and it’s hard to point the finger.

Been very busy with work and school lately but comics I’m currently loving include:

Heroes In Crisis
The Wicked + The Divine
Avengers (Jason Aaron)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Donny Cates)
East of West

Plenty of others, but aside from this, I recently read Fun Home and Electric Arches. Both phenomenal.

I’m going to plus one all of these except for the Wick + The Divine, and Guardians of the Galaxy and that’s only because I haven’t had a chance to read them yet. I’ve enjoyed Donny Cates’s Cosmic Ghost Rider run, so I’m looking forward to following him into Guardians.

I really should get some trades for The Wicked + The Divine.

Donny’s Guardians is only 2 issues in and it’s already some of his best work.

I STRONGLY recommend reading Death of the Inhumans before hand as I feel that and CGR are required reading.

W+D has been one of the best image books of all time, and it’s going into its final year. The trades are more than worth it!

I’ll check out both on your rec: I haven’t read any Death of the Inhumans, and I had no idea it would be relevant.

While I haven’t been a huge fan of Inhumans content since Hickman finished up his tenor at Marvel, Cates gave them a very fitting and wild end, and some of the stuff introduced in it, is very directly followed up with in Guardians

(It’s also only 5 issues so it’s an easy read).

+1 for W+D; can’t wait for the next trade to come out.

I’d also really recommend Kieron Gillen’s work with Stephanie Hans on Die, it’s really really good (currently on issue 3 I think).

I’ve also just started Children of time which is facinating but pretty horrible if you’re not a fan of spiders

Just got this today (thank you Amazon Prime sales). My collection of Sir Terry is almost complete (it will never be complete, but at least I have a big chunk of the Tiffany Aching books I didn’t have before).