Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

I hate you. Do you know how much space I have for books?

Like, very little. Not a whole lot at all.

And then you make me track this down. Seriously, you are the worst person ever.

(You know I’m kidding! Thank you, I’ma gonna put it next to The Joy of Cooking and our family cookbook, but on the far side of the spiral-bound Betty Crocker which is still surprisingly helpful in a modern kitchen! [Get everyone involved next time you use it, especially if you can get it on camera]. Also, the comic made me snarf club soda out of my nose, I hope you two can appreciate my agony.)

I almost forgot!

Neil Gaiman fans! You’ve already read Fragile Things, so, yeah. You don’t need to read this.

For those who haven’t, think about sticking an extra bookmark in the introduction, he prefaces most of the short stories with a brief description or something about the circumstances of how it was written. It’s worth going back-and-forth, even if it’s just to read him a bit more, even when it’s silly and lackadaisical.

No spoilers about Easter Eggs!

I tried it, too. Several documents on the site are 404 but a few others work, so that’s something.

I tried looking for another copy elsewhere but they kept returning the same error. (The book is out there, but even the internet is having a pain in the butt finding it).

One of the titles purportedly on offer for download was really interesting (Pastel: Deception in the Invasion of Japan), but I managed to find a copy on Amazon and ordered it.

@MinuteWalt suggested I cross post this: DIE Comic. A thread on Kieron Gillen’s newest comic DIE which is… a thing. I’ve only read the first 2 issues which are really good albeit definitely playing with some dark ideas (a paladin class driven by emotions, like grief, hooray?)

Anyway if you like comics I’d recommend it (or anything by Gillen who I really enjoy)

Finally finished the Letters by JRR Tolkien. Fantastic stuff.

Just started a complete collection of Lovecraft. I’ve read a good bit over the years, but I’m going to go through it all now. I figure I should given how hooked on the Arkham LCG we are.

Finished off Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and currently about halfway through the sequel Crookem Kingdom. I’m really enjoying the “series”. Thinking I might check out the Grisha trilogy after (which I think takes place prior to these two, but is not directly connected veto d being in the same world).

I had read those two last year and am now working my way through the second book in her trilogy. Shadow and Bone is great! I hear Leigh Bardugo’s first book for adults called Ninth House is being published this fall. I’m very excited to check it out.

Taking a break from Game of Thrones to catch up on comics. Batman by Tom King continues to be great. I also started reading Green Lantern by Grant Morrison. I love how reality breaking meta story telling Grant Morrison has been brought in to make Green Lantern more grounded. 3 issues in and it’s a cop story.

I just had to read Never Let Me Go as part of my English Literature course for school which is a subtle book about growing up in a twisted 1990s and was pretty good, though not exactly gripping (I have written a review on it so if you want to hear my extended thoughts on it you can read that in about 2 weeks). I have also just read a short story called Clockwork by Philip Pullman which had this lovely gothic fairy tale feel to it.

After finishing The Legend of Huma, I moved on to Firstborn, another Dragonlance novel and I think the first one I had ever read.

Books you are forced to study are never as entertaining as books you choose to read. If you look upthread though, you’ll see that Anita, chrislear, and I are all big fans of Never Let Me Go. I’d call it gripping!

In my ongoing quest to become a better, more rounded writer, I have consumed the following literature:

1. “The Consuming Fire”, by John Scalzi. Book 2 of his “Collapsing Empire” series, which is very, very Scalzi, and therefore quite enjoyable to me (I will say book 2 is better than 1 by a fair shake). A few too many nobles/ultra-rich people who say things like “Let’s cut through the crap and just talk plainly”… once or twice is fine, but it happens too often. Still, funny, clever, and really engaging.
  2. “Ancillary Justice” by Anne Leckie. Loved the subtle removal of male pronouns (very clever, and I especially respect that it wasn’t ACTUALLY a significant plot-point… no Chekhov’s pronouns here!), but overall just a clever big-universe sci-fi that I really enjoyed. Looking forward to the sequel.
  3. “Locked In” by John Scalzi. Have I mentioned that Scalzi is my writing patronus? The man writes the books I want to write, in the way I want to write them. Anyway, Locked In was an interesting near-future crime story with some interesting hooks. Very well done, but I wouldn’t say it’s one of his best.

Tsundoku, 2019.

Mostly new stuff, a few older odds and ends that have been neglected for too long. Odds of whittling it down to zero? About zero. And that’s before the last few books trickle in.

Oh, and forgot about this little gem when taking the photo:

Holy cow! I finished Riyria Revelation. This series is amazing

I keep reading this as Decepticon Invasion of Japan

And some Decepticons are in rather pastel colors…

I recently finished The Silk Roads: A New History of the World that looks at world history from the time just before Alexander the Great and all the way to the 21st century, but with a different point of view from many books.

The Middle East, Persia, the territories in Asia where the Silk Roads criss-crossed, it’s a fascinating book that I really enjoyed.

More books for the pile…

shadowwar militaryciphers

Y’know, a little light reading.

Having just finished Éric Vuillard’s The Order of the Day, about the enablers of the Nazi rise to power, I can’t help but recall an old Patton Oswalt joke, where he points out that the first sign a man’s getting older is a sudden and inexplicable interest in World War II.