Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

I went though my collection, and there were 2 Discworld books I didn’t own, Snuff and Raising Steam.

I don’t have a complete collection of Sir Terry, still, I don’t know if I ever will (I do have the silly big books of Cohen the Barbarian and Where’s My Cow?)

I just had gotten done with Unseen Academicals (again), and now I have to satisfy my Pratchett jones for a while.

I’m working through Programming Erlang at the moment. I’ve got some comics lined up (Sabrina, 24 Panels and Femme Magnifique) which I think will be a weekend then the latest Laundry Files.

… and then all the other books in my back log :s

Programming Erlang is pretty nice though; nothing spectacular but Erlang seems interesting. I just need to sit down and actually give it a go rather than just reading it

Reading Rendezvous With Rama and enjoying it immensely.

Okay I’m back in the game.

I’m currently simultaneously reading
The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
The Story of O
Storm of Swords

New strategy: Abandon books I’m not into and pick up more. I have to catch up with my dad on Game of thrones, He’s probably half way done with Feast of Crows by now.

After reading volume 1 of Monstress (kind of loving the story, and the artwork and world is gorgeous), i picked up the box set for Six of Crows; has a lot of praise, but I’m very early in, so i can’t say much, beyond I’m enjoying it so far.

@optimuspyro - Learning to abandon a book you’re not into is one of the hardest things I’ve tried to learn, and I still have trouble with it. Even if I don’t like it, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!! :confused:

Just finished Letters by JRR Tolkien. Fascinating insights.

And finally started The Fall of Gondolin, also by JRR Tolkien, edited by his son Christopher.

It’s my favourite of the Big Three original stories of the Legendarium (the others being Beren & Luthien and Children of Hurin). In B&L, Christopher implied he was done, as he’s in his 90’s, so this was a delightful surprise. All three are lushly illustrated by Alan Lee, who did a lot of the art design for Jackson’s films.

From what I’ve seen there are a lot of people who keep up to date with this thread who I’d like to address, so I hope you don’t mind me using this thread for this purpose. [I don’t mind if this get moved by a mod, though]

I’d like recommendations for an 18-year-old board gamer who reads a lot and enjoys fantasy. He’s up to date with (mainstream) Tolkien as well as Rothfuss and Rowling, and enjoys Pratchett, but isn’t a die-hard fan. Ideally, I’m looking for some sort of series (maybe A Song of Ice and Fire? But I don’t know much about the genre which is why I’m coming here) for him to get stuck into so that anyone asking what to get for Christmas has an answer.

Four to recommend:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie.

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd.

On the more Rowling/Pratchett end of things, I’d suggest Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London books, as he’s cited both as inspiration for the series.

For more epic fantasy, Bradley Beaulieu’s Song of the Shattered Sands series is good and the books are actually being released at a decent pace, unlike certain authors.

That’s a good shout too. Harry Potter meets the Met Police.

A freind recommended these to me, haven’t read them yet as I’m reading her other recommendation:

“The lies of Locke Lamora” by Scott Lynch which is fun if you like the grimy fantasy street heist genre. Assuming that is a genre.

A bit dated perhaps, but David Eddings was one of my faves when i was that age. The Belgariad and the Mallorean are particularly strong. Raymond E Feist is also a classic - though i never got beyond the Riftwar Saga myself but the original trilogy I liked a lot as a teen. Song of Ice and Fire never did much for me, though probably because the sexual violence in it is a bit too yuck for me rather than it not being a good tale…

Meanwhile I’ve just finished Children of Time on Quinns’ recommendation and it did not disappoint - though as someone who spent a not inconsiderable part of his childhood reading nature books and wondering what kind of society animals might build if given the chance, it was always going to delight me. Now i’m onto another Quinns’ recommend with The Shipping News - lets hope its 2 for 2!

I would have thought that fantasy, unlike sci-fi, is fairly immune to being dated. The Lord of the Rings and A Wizard of Earthsea don’t have to deal with the fact that magic has moved on since they were written (unlike, say Snow Crash vis-a-vis the Internet). in other words, please don’t apologise. If it’s good, it should stay good.

I’ve enjoyed a lot of Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman’s works. The Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy was one of my first entries into the fantasy genre as a kid, being interested in D&D at the time may have helped with that. I also really enjoyed their series The Death Gate Cycle. In a similar D&D vein, R.A. Salvatore’s books in the Forgotten Realms setting are pretty entertaining.

Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series is a great read, though it seems lots of people have some trouble with the first book, The Furies of Calderon. I think it’s just getting into this world and the way magic (called furycraft in the series) works takes some time. It’s a lot more political that your average fantasy, too. After the first book, though, the other five are just a joy to read. Also, Butcher’s Dresden Files series is one of my favorite series, though it’s urban fantasy, rather than the high fantasy of Tolkien and Rothfuss.

Brent Weeks’ Night Angel Trilogy was enjoyable when I read it, though I must admit after a number of years now, I remember virtually none of it. Time for a reread!

Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth series, starting with Wizard’s First Rule is overall really good. The books vary in quality and do get very dark. I could see some of the content being very off-putting to some people, so your mileage may vary with these, but you know the 18-year-old in question and will be a better judge of such things.

For something a bit more comedic, Jim Hines’ Goblin Quest takes the typical D&D dungeon crawl and shows it from the viewpoint of one of the goblins who lives there.

Terry Brooks’ Shannara series is pretty good, though the first book, The Sword of Shannara is essentially a beat for beat copy of Lord of the Rings. He does better with the following books, and I really remember liking the quartet of books starting with The Scions of Shannara.

And, of course, there’s A Song of Ice and Fire.

Good luck!

I highly, highly recommend Robin Hobb’s Fitz and the Fool series, and Martha Wells’ trilogy called “the Fall of Ile-Rien.” The Hobbs books have great characters, although they’re a bit bloated in terms of length, and the Wells books are just pure quasi-steampunk fun.

Mordant’s Need by Stephen R Donaldson. It’s by far his most accessible work. 2 books: The Mirror Of Her Dreams, and A Man Rides Through.

2 things I love about this series: All the magic is literally done with mirrors, and it absolutely ends after two books. No need for a sequel, has a little “wrapping it all up” epilogue. A refreshing change in the fantasy world of bloated epics with endless sequels. It’s exactly as long as it needs to be.

I first read it at 19, way back in the depths of time. There’s a massive cliffhanger at the end of Book 1, and I had to wait like 2 years…

Try the Empire trilogy he wrote with Janny Wurts. The two of them wrote something better than either of them wrote solo.

Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire

Takes place on the other side of the Rift. Pug’s briefly in it. One of my favourite trilogies.

I am currently binge reading these. Really morish. Although there’s a really weird sentence in the opening of the third book that’s been copied verbatim from Aliens.

That’s probably the best proof that the world was a better place back in the olden days…
I mean…two years…and you’re complaining …
*giggles maniacally

This is why I avoided recommending Scott Lynch. I love the series, but it’s still unclear when the next book is coming.