Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

As it is the witching month, I’ve been reading The Deep by Nick Cutter (one of the pen names Craig Davidson uses for his horror writing). I highly recommend it to anyone interested in unsettling psychological horror. It takes place in a research station built at Challenger Deep, the deepest known part of earth’s seabed, to study a substance discovered there. This new substance is thought to be a possible cure to a strange worldwide plague.

I have finished the latest part of David Weber’s Honor Harrington series. He has a knack for awesome space battles though his technical explanations are a little bit long sometimes. Still very enjoyable :slight_smile:

Horatio Hornblower…(sort of)…IN SPACE!!! :wink:

Did you know that this was Weber’s inspiration and reason why Honor Harrington? Just read it the other day! :thinking:

And I recommended this series to you a long time ago, did you have a chance to read it? :slight_smile:
(Or I think it was Weber’s other more military history series which has a lot of military developments you would love to read about, well nevertheless I could imagine you enjoying Weber a lot…)

No, not yet. But it seems to be something that I would enjoy, so I will eventually get there! :grin:

Just picked up Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology. After playing God of War on the PS4 and hearing a bunch of stories from Mimir, it seemed like it’d be fun to read some of the Norse myths to get the full story.

Yes, very good writer, although he went through a bit of a phase of describing exactly what happened to each of the 5 million missiles fired that went on for a page that got a bit annoying.

Although less annoying than L.E. Modesitt Jr’s insistence on creating word sounds for everyday things like horse noises, doors slamming, magic going off (whuffff, crummmmpt, whissssssst etc) constantly. Fortunately he has stopped doing that nowadays as it was really annoying :slight_smile:

Trigger warning! I’d recommend NOT starting Song of Kali if you’re a new parent as I was when I read it. I love me some Simmons, but wish I had not read that book.

Yeah I know what you mean. David Weber can be very meticulous but at least the political and military sequences are always clear to understand :slight_smile:

Joanna Russ’s The Female Man, an early-ish feminist SF classic. It’s pretty intense and holds up well even after 40-50 years. Four women from four different timelines, each with its own take on male-female relations are brought together for a purpose that is not revealed until the end of the book. Narratively it’s kind of a mess but it’s chock full of very interesting, even revelatory thinking.

I’d not noticed that!

In fits and starts (because it’s hard to read when caring for a 2 year old) I’m reading Letters by JRR Tolkien. Once I finish that, I’ll be reading The Fall of Gondolin, my favourite of the Big Three tales of Beleriand.

I’m about to finish a reread of A Night in the Lonesome October. Chapter 1 takes place on 1 October, 2 on 2 October, etc. I’ve read it before normally but this time I read a chapter a day on the correct days. It’s been fun.

I’m currently reading "1917: Vladimir Lenin, Woodrow Wilson, and the Year That Created the Modern Age by Arthur Herman.

It’s a pretty interesting read. While I’ve read a lot of World War I books (including the excellent The Emperors: How Europe’s Greatest Rulers Were Destroyed by World War I by Gareth Russell), I haven’t read a book with this particular focus yet.

Also, as an aside, I’m 52/55 in my Goodreads Reading Challenge for 2018! I think I can do 3 more books. :slight_smile:

Just bought the original Dragonlance trilogy and the Twins chronicles. Ready for some good old fashioned fantasy!

Dragonlance, Dragonlance,
I see Tika’s underpants.

Ah Caramon, truly an underappreciated poet.

Reading Steven Erikson’s Rejoce - Knife to the Heart, a first contact sci-fi novel which is really interesting and portrays that first contact in a very different way than we humans probably expect it to happen.

I remember reading the book, and liking it more than the 2nd, but I forgot all of the fine ppints you mentioned. I dont think it bothered me much, but I’m easy to please, especially if I like the characters I’m reading about. I think it makes me gloss over things others might find frustrating.

I read primarily for entertainment, so I don’t really “look past the surface” of what I’m reading, for better or worse.

I will admit that after reading your post, the twist really does come off as some thing Lynch may have thought up while writing the 3rd book, and I’m not sure how I feel about it anymore.

WHY ARE YOU TAINTING MY MEMORIES?!?!?! :wink:

Jeepers, I read a lot of books over the Thanksgiving Holiday:

Sam McPheeter’s Exploded View. A really fantastic near-future police novel set in a world of nearly infinite surveillance and ubiquitous smart glasses. A super-gritty, very naturalistic voice keeps it grounded. It reminds me of nothing so much as one of Richard Price’s novels like “Clockers” or “The Whites” but set 20 years from the present. Highly recommended.

Kings of the Wyld and The Bloody Rose by Nicholas Eames. The central conceit of this loosely-connected fantasy series is basically that mercenary bands of heroes who fight a never-ending parade of monsters created by a lost civilization are treated like rock stars. They have groupies, managers, they go on tour, etc. It sounds dumb, and it is kind of gloriously dumb, which is great. It partakes of the dirty-mindedness of Joe Abercrombie without being so relentlessly grim, and there’s humor in there that reminds me of reading the Piers Anthony Xanth series so long ago. It strikes just the right tone between heroic and silly. And, if you’re looking for a non-traditional hero, the protagonist of The Bloody Rose is a great place to start.

Speaking of the right tone, I was shocked at how good The Last Policeman turned out to be. In case you’re not aware of this one, the protagonist is a fledgling police detective in a mid-sized New England town, sinking his teeth into his first major case. The gimmick is that a meteor is set to hit the earth sometime in the next six months, and society is breaking down all around him. In a way, it’s classic noir, being the story of a good man in a bad world, but even more so, given the extreme circumstances. In many ways it reminds me of Martin Cruz Smith’s Arkady Renko novels, where a Moscow detective struggles to find the truth in the Soviet world where truth is hidden by the very power of authority itself. I gather there’s more books in this series and I’m very curious to see if the atmosphere of the first one can be maintained.

I’m still digesting The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay. It’s a horror/suspense novel, and it’s absolutely masterfully written, but it’s damn brutal, and I’m still working through how I felt about it. A quick but devastating read.

The Sympathizer by Viet Nguyenh. This is the (fictional) story of a man who was ostensibly an interrogator for the South Vietnamese government but who was in fact working for the Communists all along during the years leading up to the fall of Saigon. The novel has a very overt purpose, which is to tell the story of Vietnam AND America to Americans from a perspective they’re not likely to be familiar with. I don’t know if it’s the best novel I’ve ever read, but the viewpoint is fascinating.

The Labyrinth Index by Charles Stross, the ninth in the Laundry Files series. This time the protagonist is the politically ambitious recently-turned vampire Mhari, as opposed to Bob Howard, the series’ default protagonist. I don’t know how Stross can keep making novels about the approaching Lovecraftian apocalypse tedious, but he keeps doing it. There’s too many characters, you don’t care about any of them, there’s no moral center to the story, and it’s ludicrously padded-out with tedious pseudo Tom Clancy tech-wankery. Why do I keep doing this to myself? I guess it’s because I liked the first three or four so much, and I keep hoping Stross will turn it around.

Walkaway by Cory Doctorow. Set in a near future world in which class warfare has become so pronounced and ubiquitous that whole sections of the population can basically disappear off the grid, I would have probably found this book unbearably smug and tedious in other circumstances. But given recent headlines, in which I read everyday about some new oligarchic power grab, I guess I was quite ready to read some “eat-the-rich” style wish fulfillment stuff, like this and Kim Stanley Robinson’s New York 2140.

And there’s been some other stuff as well… My daughter and I are reading The Golden Compass together (her for the first time, me for about the 20th), I just finished Anthony Trollope’s Doctor Thorne, which is pretty enjoyable if you’re looking for something Jane Austen-y but you’ve read all the Jane Austens, and I’m going to have to reread the amazing The Traitor Baru Cormorant before I can wade into the sequel, The Monster Baru Cormorant, which just came out a few weeks ago, I believe.

I’ve started digging some books out of boxes which have been in storage for about four years now, and started rereading The Dresden Files series from the beginning. I’ve finished the first two books and am about 60 pages or so into Grave Peril. It’s like revisiting old friends. Nice.