Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

I’m a very slow reader, but I finally finished Abaddon’s Gate and I’m going to start Cibola Burn.

I’ve wanted to read that for months and keep forgetting to.
Thanks for reminding me!

I’m reading Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan. The book is going better than I expected so far

So much Glen Cook! A re-read of Chronicles of the Black Company. Gritty, grim fantasy, but not overly or self-consciusly so, that is clearly the inspiration for Joe Abercrombie and a gang of others.

I’m currently reading “F, M or Other: quarrels with the gender binary” which is an interesting collection of essays and poems.

My son just gave me None of the Above by I. W. Gregorio. Even though it’s a fictional account of an intersexed youth, I imagine there’s some overlap.

I’m currently clawing my way through House of Leaves which is a… weird experience.
It’s basically the book about the notes about the works of a blind man, about a movie that doesn’t exist, about a house that hides an impossible infinite labyrinth and the effects it has on its inhabitants. The footnotes are regularly overtaking the book for several pages, it references nonexisting pieces ot literature, and just startet to shift it’s whole layout with sidenotes, footnotes, notes smack dab in the middle of the page which you have to read for a few pages before returning to the page you startet them, notes printed upside down, notes being mirrored on the other side of the page.
The book seems to go insane simultaneously with the reader … me.

Do you like it though? It looks very interesting but I’ve never gave it a shot. I was afraid it’ll be triumph of form over substance kind of thing.

It’s sometimes a slog to go through and definitely requires some work at times. But it’s strangely engaging and keeps me coming back for more so theres that. :smiley:
I will give you an update when I’m done with it but at the moment my verdict is:
If you think you might like it you will probably like it?

ooh; that sounds interesting. Will have to have a look for it

I don’t know why, but I decided to re-read the Malazan series. I never read it as one continuous story, as the release was staggered through -99 to -11

I’m now halfway through Memories of Ice. It’s just as good as I remembered, but oh boy it’s epic amount of pages to read.

… I guess I’ll be done 2019 :smiley:

After reading a bunch of high brow fiction (Darke by Rick Gekowski is bloody brilliant!) I’ve decided to dive back into comics.

Low, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards, Black Science, Doom Patrol (Gerard Way’s relaunch), Lazarus, Velvet, Kill or Be Killed, Extremity, and God Country.

And re-reading 100 Bullets (by far my #1 I’ve found so far).

Really loving Deadly Class. Thought it sounded quite whiny and bitter from the blurb (an adult talking about how rubbish their high school days were? Cynical teen-ager 100-fold more eloquent and deep thinking than their dumb peers? Get over it!), but it’s really great art with surprisingly good story. Having a tribute to Fear& Loathing within the first few issues was a great choice.

Doom Patrol was insanely great - pretty much every page has a “What the hell?!” moment, and the little Monty Python sketches were so well done. Only comic I’ve laughed out loud at! Only down side was the story went from rolling along nicely to suddenly everything happening within a confusing few pages - massive pet peeve of mine in comics generally. Looking online a lot of people think it’s bad fanfic of the original so might have to check out the silver age. I try to avoid long running superhero comics, but looks like this one slipped through the net.

Presently on my way through Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States, a slow but significant slog through the assorted stories that one definitely doesn’t get through standard education over here.

On deck is Robert A Caro’s The Power Broker, and to break up the monotony of those two I have The Complete Sherlock Holmes to pick up from time to time.

Recently read all the issues in the main line of the Fables comic series. It was interesting, but I can see why they ended it, since the ending comics felt like they were already running out of steam, trying to hit their target final comic of 150.

Still, looking forward to the Snow, Cindy and Bigby spinoffs. A little reluctant to read the Jack spin off, since he’s not the best person in the world, but it’s not that many issues.

Also, my plan for August is to finally finish Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life. It’s been sitting on my night stand partially read for months now.

Kinda losing interest in Snow Crash but it is enjoyable. I’m sneaking around on it with Grant Morrison’s JLA run still. I’ve made it to volume 3. I think I’m on issue #23 or #24 of the series. A website reccomended reading DC One Million at this point, so I’ve put it down for now. I’m catching up on my monthly comics. I’m also reading The Story of O which is just blowing my mind right now.

I’m interested to know how people react to this book. I read it recently (slightly reluctantly, but my sister gave it to me so I made the effort), and was impressed by how much interesting scholarship was hidden underneath what was ostensibly a fairly no-big-deal list of cat-poster-style life advice. But then I discovered that other people (about 10% of the Amazon reviewers) liked the life advice but found the scholarship tedious and pointless.

I haven’t read this book, but I find similar themes in other scientific books. I really enjoyed Matthew Walker’s Why We Sleep until it slowly transformed from explaining the science of sleep to being a straight up life coaching book about how to get better sleep. At the extreme end, Covey’s Habits of Highly Blah Blah People completely shuns science for buzzwords, catch phrases and simple rules for a better life (did you know you get more done if you get up earlier and stop procrastinating? Amazing work, Covey). He espouses being an academic expert in Leadership yet I can’t discern between his approach and Tony Robbins’ snake oil sales talk. A typical rule of thumb for me is that if the book title needs to be advertised as a feature-length listicle with a massive number on the front, it’s probably not worth reading.

I guess some people don’t care about the whys and just want to be told what to do. It really annoys me when I buy a scientific book full of so much fluff! As a scientist, I expect a pop science book to digest academic reviews and present them in an interesting way that is approachable whilst being educational. So few science books offer that. I’m half tempted to write a science book myself!

(PS The fact Covey’s name always comes up in Leadership courses despite there being decades of rigorous research that could be referenced instead goes to show how ridiculous the industry has become! But that’s another story…)

I’m working my way through Book 2 of the Locke Lamora these days. Red Seas Under Red Skies has a great opening, but the trick is that I’m trying to read it only at work… as a dieting aid.

See, usually for lunch I want to just get out of the store for a few minutes (the game store I work at is lovely, really, but customers can be tiring). Trouble is that the game store is right next door to a Dairy Queen (a national ice cream chain)… which means there are weeks where I will eat ice cream every lunch for 5 days straight.

But now? I sit down, set my timer for 20 minutes, eat my salad, and read.

The book is good! Not quite as strong as the first one overall, but still damn fine thus far. I’ll probably finish it in another week or two, and then can immediately dive into book 3!

I someone who wanted me to try to learn French a little better gave me that book (the original Histoire d’O). It almost worked.

I’m enjoying it. The only downside to some of the scholarly stuff is that if you’ve listened to a lot of Peterson’s lectures online as well as his interviews, you will find him rehashing his main points.

Not that I can fault him for repetition, especially for sounds bites, given the extent and length of his research. Good points are good points and worth sharing.