Home Videos Games Podcastle

What Are You Reading Now?

Just started “The Prince and the Dressmaker” and I can pretty much guarantee people will be talking about this one for years. @MinuteWalt, I think you in particular would enjoy this one if you haven’t read it yet.

Just from the opening chapters, I could see it quickly being picked up for a movie. It’s the perfect use of a graphic novel, and would make a great animated work as well I’m sure.

I wouldn’t want to give away too much, but this all about embracing diversity and pursuing passion, something really need more of these days, and this book is just a permission slip to being yourself.

Fine, I just ordered the paperback from Amazon. (I swore I wouldn’t make any impulse buys until SHUX, but you forced my hand).

(Also the Legion audio, but I need to get a phone, again, first. It was free on Amazon Prime).

Mine’s a library copy, but now I’ve gone and sold myself on buying it too. I’m going to hunt around at the local bookstores and see if I can find a first printing.

Just came yesterday. Both the illustration and the story were…jeeze, the best word I can come up with is “charming.” “Delightful?” I don’t know, but it’s pretty great.

Every single page, I thought, “man, I really want to see this animated,” which I rarely think when I read comics or graphic novels. They’re very different art forms (while they often share similar characteristics), but Jen Wang has a style of both writing and art that’s really suited for traditional 2D animation.

Heck, I’m going to copy-paste that last paragraph into my review on Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Update: Still working on Snowfall. I’m enjoying it so far but I’ve slowed down a bit on it. I’m getting distracted by other things. I’ve also recently read the first volume of Grant Morrison’s JLA and My Boyfriend is a Bear. I recommend both strongly.

A Robin Hobb “Fitz & the Fool” fantasy binge–something like 15 books in connected trilogies by her over the past two months. Her central character, Fitz Farseer, is just such a compelling character, and feels so real. He’s heroic but also impulsive, stubborn, misguided, guilt-ridden, and in general just so much more human than the vast majority of fantasy characters. The same applies to most of the supporting characters as well–she’s great at applying character-driven story arcs. The books are a bit too over-padded and could have been reduced by 33% at least, but I suppose there is a marketing incentive for writing trilogies that’s hard to deny. Anyway, very highly recommended.

I’m finally making my way through House of Leaves. I’m going to be shredded by the time I finish it. I’m also re-reading Dorian Gray for my Book Club.
The last book I finished was The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell, which was a genuinely creepy premise, but the pacing was off, and the end was so abrupt and unsatisfying it kinda put a dark cloud over the book as a whole.

I’m getting into a fun, though admittedly not great, YA superhero series, Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m a Supervillain. It’s silly, and ridiculous, and over the top, and sometimes the action isn’t clear…but goshdarn it, it’s a fun idea and I’m rolling with it!

Confessions of a D-List Supervillain is also much better than expected.

I’m reading a book of essays on the movie “The Big Lebowski”. The book is called Lebowski 101: Limber-Minded Investigations into the Greatest Story Ever Blathered.

I need to watch the movie again.

Finished Sourcery today. Tomorrow I start reading Wyrd Sisters. XD!

Warbreaker - by Brandon Sanderson. This guy never failed to impress me. After reading the Sahara-Desert-dry Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire, this is a nice welcome back to fantasy reading.

Just finished The Mechanical by Ian Tregillis and moved onto the second in the series, The Rising. It’s somewhat cyberpunk which doesn’t always appeal to me but it poses some really interesting questions regarding identity and morality and it’s links to free will.

I liked the alternate-history facets of that series. I kind of wish that the magical/alchemical element hadn’t been included, because it took it out of the realm of semi-plausible and into the fantasy world. Still, I thought it was a very enjoyable series, very tense and with a great balance of characters.

Currently reading the 2nd volume of Grant Morrison’s JLA. It includes the story Rock of Ages, which I’ve wanted to read for a long time. It’s a really cool time travel story framed around the Injustice Gang lead by Lex Luthor attempting a hostile corporate take over of the JLA. One unexpected pleasure from the story is seeing Superman with his electric blue powers. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a comic from that period, and Morrison does some really cool things with that gimmick. I was an active Superman reader at the time, and I don’t recall reading about Superman learning to use the powers, something Morrison does well. At first Superman doesn’t seem to do anything differently from his normal power set, and by the end of Rock of Ages he’s dealing with being converted into a radio signal and bouncing on transmissions to reform himself.

This was seriously good. What a writer. Particularly enjoyed it as as a 40 year old white male it’s probably not the sort of book I am supposed to be reading. I even saw it for £3.99 in Sainsburys amidst the trash thriller / crime / beach reading nonsense.

I’ve read nearly every book by Sanderson, except some of the promotional stuff, and Warbreaker is still the one I think back most fondly on.

Watch out, you can run out of Sir Terry’s books before you’re ready. I just counted (by eyeballing it) 14 books on my shelves, and that doesn’t include the ones hiding behind those (I have to double-layer his paperbacks) and a few others that got misfiled, and the hardcovers. And a couple of other oddballs, like Cohen the Barbarian and Where’s My Cow? So that’s twice what I can see and then some others, and I’m missing some…
…and, well…
…and even if I get everything, that will never be enough, but we all have to live with that.

(For anyone who wants to really get into Pratchett, and wants to get the total emotional impact of a combo of a kid’s book and a novel, don’t read Where’s My Cow until just before or just after you read Thud! if you can help it).

I started Star Wars: Thrawn: Alliances by Timothy Zahn last week. I’d probably be done with it, but I had a very busy weekend so didn’t get a chance to read (well, to be fair, I devoted free time to finishing Persona 5). Good so far, and interesting that it has this back and forth between Clone Wars era and Rebels era where Thrawn is working alongside Anakin and Vader, respectively. I like how Zahn manages to sneak in bits of his old creations into the new SW canon (unless the makers of Rebels did some of it, as I haven’t seen that).

Reading Neil Gaiman’s Norse Mythology, here. Not quite mythology, history, or a novel, but a lot like all three. He writes it like he writes everything else. Strong recommendation.