Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you drinking?

Well, here in australia you can just forage for them, every kangaroo has some in their pouches.

It’s good bush tucker mate.

Smart-alec, indeed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My drink of choice for quite a while was gin & tonic. It really hits the spot when you have a hankering to drink a pine tree.

Unfortunately, they started giving me headaches so I haven’t had one in probably close to a decade… I should really circle back around to those.

I am a fan of G&T, but if you can find Absolute Mandarin, it goes perfectly with tonic, it’s very tasty. Don’t add any garnish unless it’s a slice of orange, or even a little grapefruit. Unlike a G&T, lime can make it taste awful (lemon is OK, but not ideal).

My throw-away bottom-shelf bev of choice when I’m having dinner is a vodka tonic with a splash of Rose’s Lime floated on top. Light and cleanses the palate. If there isn’t a full bar, some nice strong unsweetened iced tea pairs with anything.

That’s me! I don’t like gin. Tastes like Pine-Sol and turpentine. My go to is Chopin. Vodka needs to made from potatoes. The vermouth I use is this:

I like it.

If you like vodka and vermouth that’s absolutely fine. Just don’t call it a martini in my bar. It’s a vodkatini.

(Yes, I have a bar at home, even though I’m in the UK and mostly we don’t here. The chap who had this house before us was an enthusiastic DIY-er, and he found it at a wood reclamation place about to be broken up…)

Yep. Absolutely. It still tastes like potatoes. (or rather, for the vodka connoisseur, “like nothing at all.” Like moonshine or Everclear, or possibly like lighter fluid).

Seriously, so-called high-end vodka is no different than “clear spirits” that can be had at a much lower price.

I do have to commend you on your find in vermouth. The lack of quality in vermouth is part of the reason why there are so many gags in the range of:
The Perfect Martini. Let a glass of gin or vodka look at a glass of vermouth. Chill them separately. Discard the vermouth, serve with olive.”

I tease, and I know I can be sarcastic, but I give credit where credit is due. Good vermouth makes it, bad vermouth has ruined it. You have found good vermouth.

But, I still gotta say, gin and vermouth is a martini. Vodka is just for people who don’t like junipers (which is FINE!), but it’s not a martini.

“Whatcha drinkin?”

“Martini with Noilly Prat…”

“Oh, yeah? Well, YOU’RE an Oily Prat!”

Sorry.

I have tried numerous vermouth brands in an effort to find one that I like, and this was the winner. Of course, I drink so infrequently now that I will probably not have to buy another bottle. :laughing:

I just call it a “Double-Oh Seven”.

Just don’t shake it, you’ll bruise the liquor.

On a seperate note, I’ve had the opportunity to try Trader Joe’s Brewed Ginger Beer. It’s really quite good. It’s not the slam-dunk of Reed’s assault of a rainbow of flavors that you can actually pick out one-by-one. It’s much more subtle, a bit musty, more dry, less sweet. Like a ginger beer that’s wearing a monocle.

If you live in the US and you can’t find Reed’s, but you can find a Trader Joe’s, tackle that. High quality soft drinks are hard to find.

(also, they’re both vegan, if that’s important to you. It’s not to me at all, I just have to keep this sort of thing in mind for family members who annoy the s#!t out of me when I’m trying to buy food for them. I’m honestly doing my best to respect their preferences while I eat fried pork!)

(EDIT: Reed’s has honey, so not 100% vegan, but close enough for my family. They are perfectly OK with bee vomit).

Tonight is the literal end of an era here in Japan. Emperor Akihito has abdicated the throne in favor of his son, the crown prince Naruhito. As of 24:00 the era will change from Heisei(平成) to Reiwa(令和). The TV is running non-stop coverage of the chrysanthemum throne.

Keeping with the form of the occasion, we are drinking 菊水(Kikusui, or “chrysanthemum nectar”), “Japan’s first premium sake”.
It’s pretty decent but more importantly it’s available almost everywhere thanks to its alumin(i)um can technology. UV light is the enemy of sake you see.
Give it a try if you have the chance. Hot or cold, it’s satisfying.

I went to the Cantillon brewery in Brussels at the week end and had one of the best beers of my life.

Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise 2015. Simply exceptional. We also had the Nath (rhubarb) and the Fou foune (apricot) which were all absolutely incredible. Fou foune also means something rude in slang.

We then went to some other, really quite brilliant, bars, but all the beers were not up to scratch. The beers were perfectly good, excellent even, but Cantillon ruins it for everyone else.

(We also squeezed in a game of Oh My Goods. It needs a brewery expansion).

That is a pretty big deal, @Spoof.

I assume you pour out the sake to heat it? Or do you put the can in hot water?

The last time heated sake (and I don’t remember the brand, it was a glass bottle, you can’t really get it in cans around these parts) was by putting it on the hottest part of my car’s engine, and it was perfect by the time I got home (mind you, this was back in 1997, before I realized I didn’t particularly like sake, hot or cold. It’s fine! I’ve often enjoyed it, but I’ll usually choose an alternative if there’s more than light beer or table wine on the menu. If there isn’t, kanpai!)

@FunkJem Ooooh! Cantillon Framboise 2015! I am jealous. I’m imagining it now…

…(give me a moment, please)…

OK, I’m back.

I’ve never had the Nath, which also sounds amazing, it all does. I’ve had a Fou foune my buddy sent to me that amazingly didn’t break in the transit, and it was very tasty, delicious even, not at all too tart or sweet and way more complex than it had any right to be. But rhubarb, OMG…dude was holding out on me, I think, now.

Also, it’s always good to know rude phrases in other languages.

Beer that’s more expensive than good wine - this is not my world anymore!
*mumble mumble…

It was once the opposite, before beer got cheap. Wine was once considered to be the poor, um, pour. That’s why we have the word “wino” instead of “beero.” Then wine took off, while beer eventually became “light beer” instead of “small beer” and kind of went into hiding for a long time as kind of an adult soda-pop and got terrible (at least it did in most English-speaking countries, or counties that were trying to emulate that trend).

But in the 90s, it looked like some people woke up to the fact that beer could be interesting, we started to get a lot of micro breweries and brew pubs, more rare imports, a lot more people started home-brewing (and making their own wines, as well), and I believe that the impact has been beneficial, overall.

I still think wine is great, as the oft-misquoted Ben Franklin wrote (it’s usually misquoted as something like, “Beer is a sign that there is a God, and he loves us,” but the actual quote is):
Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

I’m not a big god person, myself, but everyone was back then, and I still like the quote.

Thanks for making me aware of that!
While researching your claim I stumbled on an online Version of a book from 1867 called (translated) History of wine and drinking bouts.
There it’s rightly mentioned, that to get wine, you just have to mush grapes, whereas producing beer is way more complicated, making it a more sophisticated drink.
So I redact my former Statement - however, I’m still not sure I’d be into lambic with raspberries. :wink:

I’ve had enough framboises that aren’t terribly interesting, or even drinkable, that I approach them with caution. (Ditto faro, which for too many brewers means “take the gueuze and dump a load of sugar into it”.) But Cantillon is one of the good brewers…

I had a Faro at La Mort Subite and it was far, far too sweet for my palate. There are some excellent raspberry beers, but a large proportion of them have syruip. Cantillon for theirs used 300g raspberries per litre. The sweetness has gone because it was aged for two years and blended. It’s an incredible beer, which may make you reconsider. The Oude Bruin Raspberry was also excellent.

As an aside, the tour guide at Cantillon got on his soap box about the many and various ways sugar is smuggled into food and beer, citing pilsner as the best selling style because it doesn’t have any flavour, so people naturally flock to it - it’s an easy guzzler (his words). And I think Belgium in general has a very sweet palate, every time you order a hot chocolate it comes with sugar (it’s not needed) and a little sugary biscuit. I have found that I prefer the more sour, bitter beers, as my sweet tooth is catered for in every day life (I bake).

So he advocated sweet beer while calling something non-sweet easily guzzable?
That’s rich! :smile:

I like to host game nights over here and my friends like to acknowledge my hospitalitude by giving me weird beverages, because they know I rarely turn down a dare. On tonight’s menu: grapefruit soju and what I think is Polish mead. Maybe mixed, maybe not.