Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you drinking?

(Trying to beat him to the punch, @Boydesian is replying as I type this.

I think he’s going to come up with something worthwhile.

This really sucks because I cant spell worth crap and I’m trying to type fast!)

(just so everyone knows, I misspelled “sucks” and put two apostrophes in “I’m” when I first wrote that, but I was able to edit it before the 5 minute mark, and I wrote this!)

The last Scotch I drank was in July, so I’m out of the loop at the moment. BTW it was The Glenlivet 18yo; if you only have one bottle of whisky in the cabinet, that’s the one to have. Anyway, up until my month-long, piecemeal move (where I have been abstaining from drinking spirits), I was getting into Rye whiskies (Bulleit, Whistle Pig, Woodford, Knob Creek, etc.). My current favorite is pictured somewhere above: Basil Hayden’s Dark Rye. I do like Basil Hayden’s Bourbon, but the Rye is better to me. It’s very smooth, but still bold, and without the touch of syrupy sweetness that the Bourbon has.

You still need to convince me on the Rye. I’m not a huge fan, in general (as I’m not a fan of Bourbon, either).

But @Boydesian has had an almost mystical access to rare whiskey that I have been very jealous of, and I defer to his wisdom (I would defer more if he’d mail me a bottle).

Regarding Rye, I hear you. Of the examples I’ve tried, only the Woodford’s and the Basil Hayden’s do anything for me, but the BH is really good. Once things are more settled, I’m going to see what kind of a Sazerac it makes.:tumbler_glass:

As for the Scotch, I happen to live in a state that monopolizes liquor sales (I am pretty sure that you already know this @MinuteWalt, but I will blather on anyhow). Not only that, but since New Hampshire has neither sales, nor income taxes, they put a lot of effort into the business, as it’s a major source of revenue. Our little state is one of the top purchasers of distilled spirits and wine in North America, so it’s easier to buy scarcer items here where the selection is huge, and the prices are so low (figure ~25% less on average, and up to ~50% less on some specialty items). We are also a North American test market, so we sometimes have access to products that just aren’t available in most places.

Yes, this isn’t the first time we’ve talked about the weird laws in NH.

No sales tax (and no seat belt or helmet laws, the license plates should say “Live Free AND Die” instead of “Live Free OR Die”) but New Hampshire is in many ways almost as weird, or even sometimes weirder, than Florida.

What we have here is arbitrary beer laws. It’s not as interesting as NH. We can have either huge beers, or regular beers, but nothing in between or smaller (a regular can, a tallboy, or an oilcan). Some imports can be in more of a small wine-bottle size. Anything larger has to be categorized as “malt liquor” or in a keg. Anything incrementally smaller isn’t legal. Wine and liquor is fine in any size, airplane-bottle to jug.

Honestly, it’s not really that problematic, but trying to get certain limited runs of Abita or Deleriums or Sierra Nevada or something can get you arrested.

Don’t forget, we also have no capital gains tax!:sunglasses::beers:

Speaking of bizarre taxes, alcohol in Japan is weird.

Spirits are really cheap. I mean really really cheap for someone who is used paying more for a shot of vodka than for a pint of beer.

Beers are divided into beer (heavily taxed, too expensive), and “effervescent alcohol”, which covers everything from cocktails, to Japanese beer made from fermenting seaweed, to imported beers such as wheat beer and craft beers that contain “non-beer” ingredients. Unfortunately for the latter category the import taxes undo whatever savings are made by their “effervescent alcohol” status.

So, despite my strong preference for tasty craft beers, I mostly drink cheap local “effervescent alcohol” (low-malt lager) these days, but on the rare occasions I can actually get drunk, Żubrówka does the trick.

We’re drinking Canadian Club whiskey and Diet Pepsi, our main staple.

Last year, was going to get a huge bottle down in Washington when I went down there for Dragonflight, and discovered that Washington’s alcohol tax along with the sales tax and everything else made it so that we hardly saved any money with the exchange rate.

When I go to visit my dad in Missouri, I can get a bottle for $20 US (around $30 CDN) and the same bottle up here costs $50 CDN.

Yikes!

I don’t know what bothers me more, the outrageous cost, or that you mix it with diet cola :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ve never really comparison shopped booze by state before, so I checked and right now, NH is having a special on Canadian Club: 1.75 liter bottle is $14.99 (US). The sale ends on 9/30, but the regular price is $18.99, comparable to MO, but without tax, that is the final price.
https://www.liquorandwineoutlets.com/products?search=Canadian+Club&type[]=spirit

If I wasn’t on the West Coast, I’d jump on that! It’s an awesome price.

We’re heading to Oregon this weekend. I’m hoping that we can get a good deal, as the Duty Free shops at the border crossings only have the smaller bottles ($15 CDN, which is a steal, but still…it’s small!)

My absolute favourite rye (by which I mean real rye, not the heathen Canadian usage of the word rye) is “Lot No. 40”, if you can get it down there. I may have said this before, but it tastes and smells just like apple pie to me. It’s copper pot stilled, which as far as I’m aware is unusual for rye, but you can really tell it adds a rich buttery flavour that you don’t normally find in rye. Highly recommend. I looked on Total Wine’s website (I don’t know of any other U.S. retailers that list their stock and prices online) and it says they have limited stock of it, although it is about double the price that it goes for in Ontario.

It isn’t available through the state, but I can have Lot No. 40 shipped to a specialty store close to me in Massachusetts for pick-up. I might just do that too, because I also discovered that the store carries Schlenkerla as well! (attn: @Boronian) :wink:

Ah you are lucky :smiley:

Funnily enough I just talked with a colleague about Schlenkerla yesterday when she told me she found out that they have their own online store now and deliver to your house. So we are lucky too, no need to find a store anymore where we can buy it :wink:

Ooooooo. That looks like my kind of beer! And I’ve just discovered that its available in plenty through the provincial LCBO. Lucky all of us!

I stumbled into their web store a number of months ago - will likely pull the trigger at some point, but have been put off so far by the steep international shipping rates.

Although that’s likely to get significantly worse come Brexit day so I guess I’d better hurry up. At least beer is apparently cheap enough in Germany that it sort of evens out.

One every now and then is plenty for me, but I love them when I have one. :yum::beer:

We spent today cleaning out my dad’s shed (read: warehouse) full of his and his siblings stuff. Objects of note for the thread are two bottles of of his Homebrew. My uncle remembers helping bottle some in 1984 but we’re not sure it’s the same stuff. Might be older.
There was a mystery bottle of something the smelt like super and reminded me of barley wine, and a stout.
My uncle tells me that back in the day my dad’s stout was called a stout because only stout hearted people could drink it without pulling a face. 30+ years later it tastes like liquorice.
All in all not bad. Although my face says there was a very high alcohol content.

Texas is fun so far, woo woo

Hipster!

(My friend used to make fun of me for enjoying Pabst, Olympia, and Old Milwaukee. But, honestly, they’re not bad for cheap beer.)