Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you drinking?

How 'bout the Americano? Replaces the gin in a Negroni with club soda. Essential summertime libation. Presumably an Aperol version would be quite good, too.

I submit, for your consideration, the Gin Greasy. If by “weird” you mean “repellent.”

Unfortunately, I am drinking nothing. On Monday I had my wisdom teeth removed, and although the process went very well and everything is healing rapidly, I have to give it up for a few weeks. This is slowly killing me, or less hyperbolically, is making my evenings quite a bit more bland.

On the upside, the nitrous was fantastic (I was awake but numbed for it, and did not feel a damn thing), but that’s tricky to make a regular evening cocktail.

To be honest, more than anything I’m tired of that last Bohemia mocking me every time I open the fridge.

We had a party for my daughter’s 4th birthday and a lot of the family stayed behind for a BBQ. I therefore have a fridge full of assortments. Nothing very exciting but it means I’ve not struggled for a cold one in these hots days! Bottle of Newcastle Brown went down very well last night - not had one in years!

Coolers full of cold beer are the best part of little kid birthday parties in the summer. Definitely smooths out the post-cupcake cleanup process.

Hello everyone, this is one of my increasingly intermittent visits (VERY busy of late), so it should come as no surprise that I am drinking coffee. But it’s also the hot and sticky summer, so I am having a Dunkin’ Donuts Cold Brew Brown Sugar ICED Coffee. I don’t actually like regular DD coffee that much, but they’re quite convenient on the way in to work (especially since they’re spaced about 5 or 6 yards apart here in New England). Although their Dark Roast is…acceptable, but this Cold Brew stuff is amazing!

Some PG Tips (sp?) at the moment.

Tonight, I’ll be finishing off my Gumption cider.

Just found out our local meadery, which I never can visit for reasons, sells bottles at Trader Joe’s, so we’ll be picking one up to try this weekend. I used to have a friend who brewed his own. I miss mead.

I’ve lately been getting into Madiera. I’m a bit of a history nut, and reading that Thomas Jefferson drank it by the case intrigued me.

I’ll probably pick up a bottle of Laphroaig this weekend. Love that stuff.

If it’s one thing I love it’s boutique artisan producers, because I am a food wanker. Possibly just a wanker in general.

So excited to be heading off on a roadtrip to visit Small Acres cidery in a week or three:

http://www.smallacrescyder.com.au/home

@Boydesian Yes. It’s shocking that a place like that can actually produce something worth writing about. It’s like how people don’t believe me when I tell them that our local McDonalds makes a decent iced-tea, and I am a Southern boy, I know good iced-tea.

@pattersonjeffa and @adrian: I’m sorry, I can’t share your pleasure of hard cider if it’s not mixed with a porter or a stout (like a snakebite/diesel, whatever you want to call it), it’s the acidity and the generally high sugar content.

I do like mead, it was the first thing I ever learned to brew myself (it was a disaster, but I got better). My favorite is IQhilika African Chili Mead. Not easy to find, but yummy! It has just barely enough heat to make you want to quench it, and it’s so refreshing when it hits your tongue…well, you get the idea, it sets up a positive feedback loop that may end up needing to call a cab to get home.

That being said, if you can find it, it goes great with things that should be a little spicier on their own (like pizza or take-out Thai), or, and really you have to trust me on this, contrasted with cold fresh stuff, like salads and melons and sashimi.

Being from the west country, I should be all about cider, but I haven’t been able to stand the stuff since I was a teen. Other than the occasional pear cider if it’s got some other fruit in it as well.

I can’t stand sweet cider, it’s got to be the skeezy and dry versions.

Yes rekorderlig cider, I am looking at you. And shuddering. And probably getting diabetes.

@bruitist Oh, lord, that link :rofl: Words cannot describe.

@adrian I like the dry better, as well, the sweet stuff is like asking for heartburn and swollen joints. Leave it for the college kids.

The dryer ciders, though, tend to still be too acidic for me.

I will use those to make applejack, although I reserve that for visiting friends/family who live much further north of here during the winter (there is an orchard, they press "soft: cider for the fall tourist families, but some gets left behind for, err, personal use.
Add yeast and time, leave it out when there’s a hard-freeze: tomorrow’s hangover, but tonight it’s lovely liquid gold.
I don’t get up there often, and it’s not exactly an everyday thing we make, and you do pay for it later with Advil and Alka-Seltzer, but totally worth it when you happen to be visiting good people on that one perfect day of the year).

Unrelated, I was helping my neighbor (actually, our leaser!) move some stuff out of storage, and learned a lot of that stuff was from his still. My neighbor is apparently a hobbyist bootlegger! I really need to get to know this guy better.

I can only drink coffee brewed hot, regardless of the weather. Having children taught me to drink it after it had cooled to room temperature, but I can’t manage ice. I’m some kind of self-loathing monster, apparently.

I make cold brew for lazy times, and still drink the damn stuff hot.

Wait. What? Hyphenated? It tastes different with a hyphen.

Perry! A word I both love and hate, because now my brain is full of Walter and Perry and Fenton and if that’s also you we should definitely meet up for drinks sometime. I’m buying.

PS, I’m drinking the Dad’s Hat rye (aged in vermouth barrels) my daughter picked out for Fathers’ Day. Distilled near here, rye-spicy, and kind of like un-sweet gingerbread cookies for grown-ups who want to murder their livers. Delicious.

Not really, but also yes? It’s like the difference between drinking it with a straw or without one. It’s the same flavor, but also not. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I swear it’s true.

People please help me ;

Is it true that a pear cider should really be called a Perry? I always want to say it is. (And I ask instead of googling because it’s more fun)

I’m with you on this one. Also not googling it in solidarity.

Yeh, should be. I had a hunch that “pear cider” is used because it sounds fancier (“perry” if known at all is probably associated with babycham, etc) and Wikipedia says I’m right: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry#“Pear_cider”

I don’t know why, have no idea about the differences in production, but after trying several Ciders I have to say that I prefer the French Cidre. Maybe it’s just because the bottles are generally larger… :slight_smile:

That must be true then :wink:

Knew it should be called Perry. I will continue moaning every time someone says “Pear Cider” then and cite @bruitist as source!

One of the last stories my grandfather ever told me was about my great-grandfather’s still. They were out hunting in the woods, and GG said he needed to hop over to a clearing over there.

BIg shock to the family when that came out. I loved it.

@webs

I do enjoy the Stella Artois Cidre. I’m just on Gumption at the moment because it’s cheaper. We had a big hit financially a couple of weeks ago when I had a TIA (baby stroke) and had to spend a couple of days in hospital.

American health “care” is the worst.

I had to go digging to find the references, and found at least one in the 2018 Fedco Trees catalog:

I recall a sidebar story in the 2017 catalog (I think) about the Holme Lacy Perry Tree, but can’t locate my copy right now. In 1790, records say that it covered three-quarters of an acre, producing 5 to 7 tons of pears annually. That’s one hell of a tree. What it didn’t make in quality - the perry wasn’t great, from what I understand - it made up for in quantity.

All y’all in the UK can, if you like, go on over and visit what’s left of that monster tree. The primary tree is long gone, but its branches rooted and sent up new shoots, so in some ways it’s still there by the old church.

Or, if you’re really into fruit varietals, I hear the Brogdale Collections in Kent is amazing. 550 different kinds of pears, 2200 varieties of apples, and lots more. 4 kinds of medlars! Did you know there were actual medlar varietals? (Do you know what a medlar is? If so, you probably know the word bletting, too.)

(And if you’re into historic varieties and getting a basic understanding of good cider balance, the differences between bitters and sharps, bittersharps and bittersweets, next year’s Fedco catalog is worth the time to peruse.)