Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are you drinking?

I’ll start: I’m currently sipping Lagavulin Distiller’s Edition Scotch. I’m a sucker for a good Islay malt and Lagavulin’s 16 year Scotch whisky is one of my favorites. The DE is even better. It’s a smokey and sublime journey into the peat and salt spray infused glory of my ancestral homeland.

Slan na gael!

What are we watching?
Pamplemousse: an Appreciation of Juicy Words

Oh! Forgot to mention that I’m also listening to HM Massed Pipes & Drums play the Killecrankie. Great evening!

Cheapass Steel Reserve beer, you elitist scum!

Although, I did save up for Glenmorangie 10 YO, if not the 18.
The Balvenie may be another option for spending all of the next 6 months money.

Edit: we have a couple of rooms to let, and currently listening to the upstairs guy play/temper his classical guitar, and just hanging out.

Most recently: Betty Stogs, described as “fruity” but without the overwhelming sweetness that usually goes with that. Lots of lovely hop astringency and a full body to go with it.

I also really like Lagavulin, but didn’t have the funds to go for the DE until now. Is it worth the extra cost (considering the “ordinary” 16yo is as good as it is)?
I did own and very much liked the DE of Talisker, though. It’s not smokey, but has an interesting, almost pepper-like hotness to it, and the extra maturing gives it a welcome smoothness. Unfortunately, I finished the last bottle some weeks ago…

My beer selection is pretty much decided by what appears randomly in Lidl and what’s available in the pub we’re in.

Most recently I’ve had a Corsendonk Pater from Lidl, which was a fairly standard Belgian beer. And I had a Très Bien porter at the pub on Tuesday, which was very nice.

I like dark beers :grin:

Remy Martin VSOP cognac. Because, to borrow Matt’s words: “I have a cold, and I want to fix that cold.”

Probably not. I bought the Lagavulin DE to try it, but doubt I’d get it again. It is, as you suspect, too similar to the 16 year. It’s excellent, but not that excellent. I also like the Talisker DE, but I would urge you to try the Oban DE if you haven’t. I have actually bought a case of it as a hedge against the day it is no longer available. Regular Oban 14 is okay, and the 18 is good, but their DE is one of the best whiskies I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. It’s superb.

Current tipple of choice is Heart and Soul or Pride and Joy (Vocation brewery, available from the Co-op supermarket (UK only)). Also, my town is blessed with a wonderful craft beer shop, so I check there for new beers.

Mmmm, hops.

Top hangover avoidance tip? Drink a quarter-pint or so of water between each drink.

I too like dark beers. Lately I’ve enjoyed a Matt’s Sleepy Time Belgian Imperial Stout from Beau’s Brewery just outside of Ottawa, Ontario. Add to that a rich Dark Horse Stout from Broadhead Brewery, also in Ottawa. And, because it is finally starting to get a little bit warmer in Toronto, (there was quite a large snowfall just two weeks ago, although it only stayed on the ground until the next day) I had a La Fin du Monde, which is a Tripel out of Chambly, Québec.

As for whisky, I’m still getting through the three bottles of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye that I stumbled upon last year when it was impossible to find anywhere.

Of course now it’s plentiful, but hey, good whisky is good whisky.

Last night I had full on craft beer pretension.

Pipewrench from Gigantic, Portland. IPA stored in gin barrels. It was a bit odd but really refreshing.

Snickers Stout from Almasty, Newcastle/Blackjack, Manchester collab. Much less sickly sweet than I expected. I really liked the peanut flavour.

Then a Double IPA from somewhere that I can’t remember. It was just okay.

Tegernseer Helles

The only thing worth drinking. The divine ambrosia of the gods, gifted to man through their graces: Mt. Dew.

All I can think of is the exchange Homer Simpson has with the NY street vendor:

“What do you have to drink?”

“Mountain Dew and Crab Juice.”

“EEEEWW! I’ll have Crab Juice.”

Tonight I’m sitting back, getting ready to watch The Solitary Cyclist and have decided to go with a red-white-and-blue-blooded American whiskey. I’m sipping my favorite bourbon: Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. It’s smooth and silky with a marvelous lingering caramel finish. Yummy.

I had a gorgeous Nelson Sauvin based IPA from Tempest a few weeks ago. Will be keeping an eye out for more of that for sure.

Slightly worrying that I’ve reached the stage where I have a favourite variety of hop. Time to grow a beard I guess?

I’ve never had the opportunity to taste this, but I do dearly love the title:
Tactical Nuclear Penguin, a 32% abv porter which “is an extremely strong beer, [and] should be enjoyed in small servings and with an air of aristocratic nonchalance. In exactly the same manner that you would enjoy a fine whisky, a Frank Zappa album or a visit from a friendly yet anxious ghost.”

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep that in mind. Considering the Oban DE isn’t as expensive as the Lagavulin, I might be able to acquire it.