Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are we watching?

Great Trek show. Godawful theme song.

Yes, both of that! It’s great sci-fi, but it’s not really Trek.

That’s probably a stone best left unturned. To mix my analogies, I thank you for not stirring up that pot of a can of worms. (Eww, I shouldn’t mix analogies any more! I’m apparently really bad at it).

I’m totally on board with your top five, especially #1. They’re not my top five, sure, but Firefly is still #1.

OK, I’m right behind you on this. It seemed like lazy writing, or that the writer’s room couldn’t paint themselves out of a corner, so they threw the idiot ball around and came up with a MacGuffin to make the plot move (not a major, scene-stealing ploy, exactly, but many little cheats to get them to the next act).

And that’s fine! Everyone in the writer’s room does it, it’s not an inherently bad thing. But it is a bad thing when the audience notices it.

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who watched Lost and then said “eh. That was fine. What else is on?”

I had a friend who was a PA for the last 3 seasons and the hot-gos was that Anna Torv and Josh Jackson wouldn’t appear on set at the same time for the final season because they hated each other so much.
Also Josh Jackson wasn’t well liked by the crew (for good reasons apparently) so they would would troll him by playing the Dawson’s Creek theme song and calling him Pacy.

Goddammit. I always liked Josh as well, sad to hear he must have been a bit of a git.

For the longest time I didn’t tell my wife because I didn’t want to rob her of positive feelings towards him.

That’s one of the nicest things I’ve ever heard.

(EDIT: I didn’t have a comment about what I’ve been watching, I just though that was kind of a sweet gesture @simian made for his wife, and I had to say something or else my brain would explode.
I also wish Joshua Jackson was as cool in person as he was in the show.)

Netflix people: Unicorn Store is there now. I’m not saying it doesn’t have issues, because it does, but it has some fine performances by everyone in it. I really liked Joan Cusack as “the mom” (she has always been a special treat in everything she’s been in) and especially Mamoudou Athie as “Virgil,” who’s hopefully going to be someone to watch out for in the future.

On a less glowing note, I watched the series finale for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and it was pretty underwhelming. Seeing that the premise of the series was odd-ball music numbers to have a finale that had a single number which was medley of opening theme songs throughout the series is pretty disappointing. That seems to be the problem with the season which was focusing more on pushing story lines forward instead of humor. On top of that the finale didn’t even really resolve the story lines and instead just made some of the key characters seem… Lamer? I’m not sure. I would say “maybe I need more time to digest it” but honestly it doesn’t really warrant that level of introspection.
The first 3 seasons are pretty great though so there’s always that.

Rewatching a lot of stuff on Netflix just for noise while we’re eating and doing other things, and watching the first episode of Lucifer again right now.

Reminds me that Season 4 is coming on Netflix soon! Can’t wait for that one.

Started Doom Patrol, this - I like this. It’s odd, self contained (nearly) episodes are a nice rest from epic dramas. It doesn’t leave a lot of room for conversation afterwards, and the pacing is a bit off. But - good. Not great, but good.

And I really like the portrayal of Larry.

Caught Shazam with some friends yesterday and it was pretty good. I mean, it’s some of the best DC has put out recently, but the bar is low there.

I felt it had some tonal problems and didn’t seem to know exactly who it was supposed to be for. It has some pretty dark stuff, but then shifts into super bright and light stuff. And then there is a scene that’s straight out of a horror movie. Felt a little disjointed, but I guess when you give a horror director a superhero movie that’s a side effect.

It had a Ghostbusters, or Gremlins feel to me, which was sort of a surprise because the trailers don’t hint at that at all. Lighthearted and funny, but too scary for young kids. Which is fine for me, but I kept wondering when I was watching if that’s the shot they were going for, knowing it’s going to limit the film’s reach.

I have some other minor gripes, but they get a bit nitpicky.

Tried Parks and Recreation.

Does it get better? I haven’t laughed once in two episodes.

Everybody™ says that it starts being good at season 2. (Not yet seen it myself.)

Echoing what @RogerBW said; the first season is a poor Office knockoff but the second season is where it starts to become it’s own (superior) thing.

On my girlfriend’s recommendation, I’ve watched a couple of episodes of Shadow Hunters on Netflix.

I’m very conflicted. I’m a sucker for any type of supernatural media in this vein, and I think the overall premise is really interesting. However, some of the acting is pretty terrible, almost painful (my gf warned me about it), and there are definitely some cheesy moments (which I’m not opposed to, being a huge fan of Supernatural).

I’ll probably keep watching, because as I said, I’m a sucker for this kind of schlock, and just hope it gets better.:smile:

I just watched the Star Wars Ep. IX trailer and was excited for the return of the franchise’s greatest villain: SAND.

I thought about watching this after The Order, but after watching the trailer I reconsidered. The music was the worst, unless it’s actually not that bad in the series itself?

The first season is very different from the rest and not very good. But only 7 or 8 episodes long.

It gets really really good, just stay with it.

They rewrote Leslie totally after season 1. Before that she was like a cliche dumb blonde imo but luckily they changed that.

I’ll be honest, I never noticed. I feel like it was generic “teen/supernatural drama” music, because it didn’t feel out of place with the rest of the show.

It’s probably best I didn’t try it, then.

Thanks @simian - the first season is really short so I’ll push through that then.

Watched Solo - A Star Wars story last night and it dragged a little and had a few “Chubby hmmm…” scenes, but a good film.