Home Videos Games Podcastle

What are we watching?

I loved the Under Pressure sequence. I need to save that from YouTube so I have it forever!!!

I was in tears! My god that was fantastic :sparkles: :heart: :sparkles:

I’m a big, hairy (if very geeky) man, and I openly started weeping when I saw what was about to happen.

(Quick, @Tika, edit your post so Under Pressure is spoiler-texted!)

My wife and I are huge fans of the book series so we were really amped when the TV adaption was announced and that the creator was going to have input into what direction it went but but WOW did we bounce off it in record time. I don’t think there’s a problem with the TV series but the characterizations from the book diverge so much that it was hard to watch.

I get that. I’ll need to check out the books when I’m done with my current 2 Neal Gaiman books. I’ve been looking for a new long-form series outside of the “normal” and boring speculative fiction tropes.

I finally finished suffering through Captain America: Civil War. There was a moment in the movie where it seemed like it was taking a turn for the better, but no, it just became even worse than before. I liked all the Black Panther stuff, and the introduction of Spider-Man; it made me want to check out Homecoming, which I’d previously had no interest in. This is the only movie in the MCU that I dislike; actually I probably hate it given that I never want to watch it again. It’s disappointing because it’s the final Captain America movie, a series that I liked more than I thought I would, and it was a waste of Daniel Bruhl, who I quite like.

On the bright side, I watched Annihilation! My favorite thing about the movie is how incredibly horrific it was, but how beautiful at the same time. The scene with the bear was amazing. I read spoilers for the book series and I’m glad they didn’t explain as much in the movie; it worked better that way. They did a great job with the abandoned buildings inside the shimmer and evoking a feeling of menace and dread. Finding the swimming pool and uhh… what was left was also amazing.

I’ll have to watch Annihilation, I enjoyed the books. Funny how all the specific things you reference are not in the books though =)

The lighthouse is still the center for everything, but many things are greatly changed from the books. I don’t think they even explain why Dr. Ventress is so intent on reaching the lighthouse. The bear takes over the function of another monster in the book and was invented for the movie.

Over the weekend my wife and I watched Star Wars: Solo since it finally came to Netflix. It’s hard to watch and not think that a better movie is buried there somewhere. The real tragedy is that they attached a 800lb gorilla by making it an origin story. We know that the primaries (Han,Chewie and Lando) all survive so there’s no tension there. Even as an origin story it’s pretty weak.
As a final thought, Alden Ehrenreich was NOT GREAT BOB. My wife and I often quote Hail, Caesar! but now we’re wondering if his scene with Ralph Fiennes wasn’t actually scripted but an outtake they put in the film.

Other than that it was a pretty crazy week for Drag Race: All Stars but don’t see that as me suggesting or condoning that sort of nonsense.

That’s probably the best description I’ve heard for Solo. I enjoyed it, but I was left wanting. I ordered steak, but got crispy fried tofu. Still tasty, not really satisfactory.

Assuming we are talking about the first book only, the motivations of “the psychologist” are not explained at all IIRC, so that is a point in common with the film.

Our journey through the MCU is well into Phase 2 now!

Iron Man 3 was alright, but I ranked it the lowest of the trilogy for me. I really liked seeing Tony struggle with PTSD from the events in Avengers and seeing repercussions from being a frontline superhero. The ending was a bit blah to me, especially on repeat viewing knowing everyone is alright. A group of terrorists vs, 40 Iron Men made it pretty low stakes.

Thor 2 was fun. I seem to be an odd one out amongst my peers because I think the sequel is really superior to the original. All of the Asgardians get to be fleshed out a lot more and we get to explore Asgard a bit and I like that! So there! It’s too bad they all get discarded in Ragnarok…

I also liked the fun teleporting mechanic in the final battle. And Loki gets to Loki, so that’s neat. In my nerdy discussions with friends they always lament the MCU villains and I see the reasoning, but I think a large part of the problem is just lack of time to develop. This is Loki’s third (?) on screen appearance and so it’s natural he has more nuance than the random one and done villain.

Last night we finished James Bond: The Winter Soldier! Whoops! I mean Captain America: The Winter Soldier! This movie is definitely top tier in the rankings and it has some of the best action and fight sequences of any of the Marvel films. That elevator scene! So good!

My second unpopular opinion is that, unlike @Tika, I love Civil War! But my huge Spidey bias might have something to do with that. I’m excited to get to it with all the other movies fresh in my mind for comparison!

Thor 2 amused me because it reminds me of Warhammer 40k and the dark elves are like the Eldar.

I think I’m the only person who hates Civil War, just like I seem to be the only person who hates The Dark Knight (and doesn’t hate Batman or that trilogy in general), but for different reasons. “Who would win?” is just not a question that interests me at all

Nah, I hate it too. The comic event it’s based off is stupid and it makes even less sense as a film. And it robbed us of a proper 3rd Cap film.

Yeah, my two nerdiest friends also hate it.

I liked it a lot.

1. For Spidey!
  2. I like the consequences of the super hero antics and the government attempt to control it. I thought the setup of the trauma Tony Stark endures made his push for regulation make a lot of sense.
  3. I like fun super heroes hitting each other. I’m simple.

There’s a lot to like in the movie, but my dislike of the core story outweighed it. The Stark set up was actually one of the things I disliked. His actions have already killed/harmed so many people. The idea that one victim being humanized would affect him that deeply seems insulting to his intelligence.

I think of it as more “the straw that broke the camel’s back.” Yes, he knows his actions have caused a lot of harm to people, some of whom may even have already be humanized for him. Hearing about one more kid to add to the pile of bodies weighing down Stark broke him.

I’m with @twispby, I enjoyed Civil War quite a bit. Sadly, I will also agree with @bruitist, that we were robbed of a proper third Cap film (which have been the best of the Marvel series, IMO) for an Avengers 2.5 film. While Civil War does focus a lot on Cap and his relationship with Bucky/Winter Soldier and Stark, it loses some of that focus to have a big superhero fight. But I did like the conflict between Cap and Stark over what is right and what is easy in regards to Bucky.

I don’t think this had been portrayed on screen though; he has been relatively carefree through all of the movies. Perhaps this is a time constraint thing, but it seems like something that was forced in there to set up the plot.

What I missed in the movie from the two earlier ones was actually Captain America’s relationship with Black Widow, which was surprisingly satisfying. She seems to be closer to Hawkeye and Bruce Banner, but it’s her relationship with Cap that I find satisfying (without shipping them).

I’d disagree about that. Tony Stark’s arc over the entirety of the MCU led to exactly that result and his actions in Civil War were all directly influenced from previous movies.
Iron Man: Tony has his revelation in the desert and when Ho Yinsen dies as a result of his weaponry. Decides to build a suit of armor to personally fix the problem
Iron Man 2: Tony believes he’s terminally ill, sets up Rhodey to take armor, refuses to tell people or ask for help, SHIELD determines him too erratic to use
Avengers: Tony grabs a nuclear weapon and flies it through a wormhole in a potential suicide run to save NYC after multiple life/death fights
Iron Man 3 A PTSD suffering Tony gets into a personal fight with a terrorist who bombs innocents and destroys his home, undermining his sense of security, uses dozens of iron men suits to fight them
Avengers 2: Tony has built a whole drone army essentially, then has his own deep fears and lingering PTSD (again, he is TERRIFIED of failing people and being responsible for their deaths) used to direct him to end up creating Ultron, who is himself an extension of that desire to PERSONALLY SAVE EVERYONE. Not to mention building and personally piloting an anti-Hulk weapon; Ultron and his drones ultimately kill a lot of people

Civil War is basically the culmination of several films leading Tony to the place where he reasonably says, “We need to be supervised, because my technology keeps killing people and when i try to use it to fix things, it often kills more people.” Repeatedly, Tony makes things and half the time, they get used in ways he doesn’t want or intend. He feels extremely guilty about it, is suffering from PTSD and has figured out that every time he tries to be the smartest guy in the room, it backfires on him.

Steve, meanwhile, has had a history of going AGAINST authority on moral grounds. In CA: they want him to be a propaganda tool, until he goes AWOL to rescue the Howling Commandos. In CA2: he goes AWOL when he realizes SHIELD has been infiltrated…but he wasn’t on board with Fury’s initiative before it went south. In Avengers, Steve sees first-hand that the council behind SHIELD would willingly nuke New York and isn’t cool with it. In A2 we see that everyone looks to Steve as the moral center.

One thing I greatly appreciated about CA:Civil War was that it was much more logical than the comic series, which had Tony Stark represent the registration side because a lady said mean things to him (after a villain blew up a school) even though he had nothing to do with it. It made even less sense because in the comics, Tony is often more likely than Cap to go against the government when his morals tell him to (or at least FASTER than Cap does, as Cap does it more often, iirc). In the comics, Tony attacked SHIELD agents when he thought they were using his tech, for example (see: Armor Wars, Armor Wars II, Extremis, etc.)

I mean, if you thought the plot had issues, I’d agree with you there…but the movie version of Tony was, IMHO, acting in line with his behaviors up to that point.

Sorry, I did go on there, didn’t I? :slight_smile:

They definitely had a lot of relationship building in Winter Soldier and they paired very well together. Which is the other of the “two earlier ones” you are referring to (as The First Avenger certainly did not have anything between Cap and BW, being back in WWII)? We’ve seen in the first two Avengers films the closeness between BW and Hawkeye, so it makes sense that it would continue to feature in future films. The relationship between her and Banner did seem to spring out of nowhere in Age of Ultron, but then so did that between her and Cap in Winter Soldier.

Totally agree with your reading of Stark through the MCU. Having not read the Civil War comics and just having a general understanding of the story, I can’t chime in with anything. :slight_smile: