Home Videos Games Podcastle

Weirdest game box contents?

I bought Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers: Shadows over Innistrad last year but only opened the box last night and to my surprise, found this:

It took me a moment to realize that someone had removed the contents of the box and replaced them with plastic cowboys and indians figures and a strategy guide for an obscure JRPG.

I wasn’t upset (the box had been sitting around for a long time and cost like $20), and this is my sequence of thoughts after realizing what happened:

1. That’s a video game strategy guide.
  2. Never heard of it. Oh, Square Enix! Must be an RPG.
  3. This guide is used!
  4. Hmm, let me flip through this.

Then I showed the box to my friend and he remarked, “Oh, it’s a strategy guide. It’s used!” Then started flipping through it and googled the game. :laughing:

Hasbro is replacing the game, which is very nice of them, so all is good.

I’ve had very few component problems with games. Occasionally there are missing or damaged components and that’s it, but never anything like this.

What’s the weirdest thing you’ve found in a new (sealed/shrink-wrapped) game box?

17 Likes

I don’t think anyone would be able to beat that!

That being said, I’d love to know if shadows over innistrad is a good addition to the series.

I’ll let you know when I receive it! :smiley:

I’m amused by how they placed just enough figures to fill the spaces behind the plastic windows on the box cover. Probably should have given it more than a cursory glance and I would have noticed those weren’t planeswalkers before I put it on the shelf.

1 Like

I think this is the most bizarre game-related thing I have ever seen…

This is like Cthulhu Mythos levels of insanity.

2 Likes

No-where near in the same league as your’s, but my copy of scythe arrived without the metal coins. I arranged for a new set - and I have to say subjected to an open accusation of lying - but then, a few months after, with me having the replacement set in hand, they arrived, to a one drilled through in several places. I assume this was customs looking for drugs molded into the coins, but after being made to feel like a criminal, I packed them up and sent them back, with the full email conversation printed out and included, to make a point.

8 Likes

Worst I’ve had is two factions in Risk: Godstorm were colored the same, making a 4-player game a 3-player game. I keep meaning to return it, but as it often spares me from having to play Risk: Godstorm it’s probably worthwhile. Yours is wild though. Somebody thinks they’re hilarious.

2 Likes

Step 1: Get shrink wrap machine
Step 2: Find empty boxes for games you want
Step 3: Fill box with crap and shink wrap
Step 4: Profit?!??!?!???

2 Likes

That sucks. I like the look of the Scythe coins (especially the blue ones), but decided I like cardboard more? I don’t know what it is. I think I don’t like dealing with coins IRL haha.

1 Like

Opposite here. I like how the metal ones feel and I love the noise they make, but I think the cardboard ones look nicer (edit: just because you can see the designs better since they’re not as dark).

I hate actual currency, but that’s just because it’s gross. The bit where it’s small shiny disks of metal is great.

1 Like

At one of our workplace lunchtime game sessions, someone brought in a game that was meant to be some kind of promotion for Canberra (capital city of Australia), featuring a wonderful roll-and-move track going past various businesses that had obviously provided some sponsorship. Included in the game box - a booklet of vouchers for said sponsors, sadly deemed useless because about half of them expired some time in the 80s, and the other half were for companies that are no longer with us (actually, one voucher looked to be technically still usable, but I don’t think anyone has tried to use it).

4 Likes

I do love coins - apart from the currency bit - I have ten of these pouches, 9 as full as this one the other slowly filling up - one coin from each game with them and one of each that I can buy on the internet, theres nothing better than actually sliding 10 gold coins over to a player who has found them in a dungeon whilst playing a pen & paper rpg, letting them hold them, look at them and physically spend them!

7 Likes

So many shinies. o.o

2 Likes

I bought a Pandemic expansion once and got one half of the cards in German and the other one in French. I assume because it is produced in China that the factory worker didn’t recognize any difference between French and German :slight_smile:
Got some replacement cards shortly afterwards.

5 Likes

Amazing. I have no story that even comes close. :confused:

2 Likes

Yeah Tika’s story made me sit there and look really stupefied. Could never have imagined something like that :smiley:

1 Like

I’m the same. Making ‘realistic’ components in a single area (like metal coins) amongst all the abstraction of a game feels discongruent. There needs to be consistency in applying theme!

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about it that way but there’s definitely an element of that for me too!

Egg timer. It’s weird to keep getting them. How many of these do I have now? Timer apps are easier to see counting down, you can hear it which is another type of seeing, but with ears, and when learning a game it can help new players to set a more generous amount of time. Mostly though, everyone inevitably forgets to look at it anyway! They’re concentrating, panicking, or there’s just something about an hourglass shape that makes the eyes wander off.

Anyway, can the industry move to sending timers on request? They can set up a foundation to handle the insignificant number of solicitations, we can donate all our spares which will keep them full up for ages, and then perhaps we’ll finally convince publishers to shrink the boxes. We’re here publishers! Making purchasing decisions by watching videos, not measuring dimensions!

2 Likes

Some games need them, though. Like Magic Maze.

2 Likes

Oh, Galaxy trucker wouldn’t be the same without the timer!

1 Like