Home Videos Games Podcastle

Watcha Wearin'? (Stuff about Watches...plus the Occasional Diversion.)

Calls to the UK all morning. So I wore this for the first time in a long time.

Sitting in the dark and had this bright blue reflection in the Speedy’s hesalite crystal. It was striking, so I snapped a blurry picture:

Back to bracelet. This is my default, but it will take a bit to get used to it.

OK, so my son turns 21 next month and after lurking in this thread for a long time - I’d actually like to buy him a watch. Maybe get it engraved.

I found a great one for… £1000. That’s… ahem… WAY over my budget.

Is there anything nice you can pick up for less than £100?

You’ve got loads of options, with only one thing to avoid - and unfortunately with what sells, that can be tricky!

Avoid anything that is trying to pretend to be something it is not. It’s not possible to make a divers watch to sell for under £100, so anything that is claiming it is, is simply a waterproof watch. In the same vein, it’s not possible to make a Rolex or a fine skeleton watch without major compromises, so avoid anything trying to pretend that it costs £10,000, £1000 and so on.

The other thing to avoid is fashion watches - and I don’t mean that how it sounds, Some brands will take a decent generic watch and put a nice face on it. Nothing wrong with those, but, the problem comes when they cheap out so much on the insides, the movement that it compromises the integrity of the watch. You can feel a watch, whether you wear it occasionally or every day the internals are in such close proximity to you that everything it does registers in your subconscious - this sounds ludicrous I know, but I know @Boydesian will back me up on this, you don’t need to know which movement is inside a watch, you can strap it on your wrist and a poorly made movement feels… wrong. Note I say poorly made, not cheap!

So a couple of questions: Does it have to be brand new. If not, and you have time to research then you could look to brands such as Spinnaker, Timex, A higher end Seiko, a higher end Swatch, Luminox, Orient, Undone, Roue, Mr Jones Watches, Citizen. I would steer clear of second hand Eone Bradley’s, I’ve returned three as “Not in the working order that was claimed”, they seem to have a poor failure rate.

If it must be brand new, then you can buy Fossil, Swatch, Seiko, Orient, Timex with very few concerns.

Nope.

And thanks for the very comprehensive advice!

If it’s not too intrusive, what are you looking to spend? Also, what style of watch are you looking for? As @SleepyWill says, lots of superb options in the sub £1000 range. That said, I will recommend one watch right off the bat: the Tissot Visodate (my choice would be black dial with black leather band; very versatile size and design that can be dressy, casual, or sporty in equal measures). £230 on the official Tissot online shop:

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/shop/t1184101605700.html

An authorized dealer should have one for slightly less. The automatic version (my choice) is £395.

Sorry @Boydesian… About £100 is my limit. It is a beautiful watch though!

Found this on AmazonUK. Just barely over your £100 limit, but you are getting superb quality, fit & finish worth many times the price. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orient-Japanese-Automatic-Leather-Calfskin-FAC0000DD0/dp/B072K5C5G1/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1549751138&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=orient+watch

For new, I think Orient is your best bet.

I found this on Ted Baldasarre’s YouTube channel and it could have something for you in it. Lots of good recommendations in the US $100 range. https://youtu.be/dDz5pNS5x60

Innocent Bystander here… thanks for the topic and the suggestions. I’ve padded my evergreen wishlist with some of the suggested you’ve made. I’ve been lacking in the “quality watch” category for a while. Even my best contender, a Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium, is in need of a trip to the watch doctor, not to mention the ghastly scar across its poor face:

Yes, I just took this picture. No, neither the time nor the date is correct… the poor thing :face_with_head_bandage:

I have been wearing this more and more ever since I got my new, highly magnetized phone case. Seems prudent anyway.

People, opinion needed! Found this… Looks really, really nice…

https://www.creationwatches.com/products/orient-watches-252/orient-automatic-open-heart-fag00003w0-ag00003w-mens-watch-11056.html

That looks to be a very nice, very well made watch, well worth what they are asking for it, an absolutely superb find!

:sunglasses: :+1:t3:

Well, it’s ordered! Now, when it comes I might just get something for myself… or a boardgame… darnit. :smiley:

A little artistic license today. :slightly_smiling_face:

Black Bay for a bleak and snowy day. :snowflake:

Boy. It’s hard to snap curved watch crystals without tons of glare.