Home Videos Games Podcastle

Watcha Wearin'? (Stuff about Watches...plus the Occasional Diversion.)

Alpinist on bracelet today.

Speedy with lunar mission map in the background.

Here is my favorite bit of moon landing video. It’s Cmdr. Dave Scott of Apollo 15 dropping a hammer and feather to “test” Galileo’s observations on falling bodies. “How 'bout that?”:+1:t3:

NB: Scott’s Speedmaster had lost its crystal on the second moon walk, so he wore a one-of-a-kind prototype given to him by Bulova on the third. The watch was sold by an auction company I consult for, and I was privileged to see it up close.

To commemorate this, Bulova has since produced a modern version that ups the size to current standards (45mm case). I like the watch very much, but it’s simply too big for me.
https://www.bulova.com/us/en/mens/product/mens-lunar-pilot-watch-96B251.html?cgid=mens-archive-series#start=2

I’m going to introduce baseball here, and post the World Series Schedule. Games start tomorrow. For once, I am a longtime fan of both teams, so I have zero stress about the outcome. I am marginally more zealous about the Red Sox (my Dad’s lifelong team), but I have rooted for the Dodgers since we first moved to the US back in 1976 (I was 5 years old, and just liked their logo). PLAY BALL!

For those of us interested in watches but not in sportsball, could that be a different thread?

Calm yourself, the Series is only seven games, at most, then it’s over. This year I think it goes five games (BOS 4 / LA 1). If it does go the distance, then my money’s on the Dodgers winning it all.

Wore the Black Bay Blue today:

…aaand here’s a link to a video on the new Black Bay Fifty-Eight model.

It’s Speedy Tuesday!

And here is a link to today’s Speedy Tuesday article over at Fratellowatches:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-125-production-numbers-update/

World Series Game One: BOS-8 LA-4

What a game! It was a close run contest, but Eduardo Nunez’ three run homer in the 7th broke LA’s back. Some questionable managerial choices by Dave Roberts too. I am still predicting a five game series, but a sweep isn’t out of the picture.

Mido All Dial chronograph today:

Goodness. The extent of this thread is quite surprising!

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive yet decent-looking and reliable pocket watch?

Depends on where you are located, and what you are looking for. Amazon US has quite few:

If you want a recognizable Swiss Brand, then Tissot offers a selection:
https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-en/shop/all-our-watches/t-pocket.html

World Series Game Two: BOS-4 LA-2 (Boston leads the series two games to none.)

The scores seem to be halving. Perhaps it will be 2 - 1 next game.

CWL “Red Twelve” today.

If you keep going on about baseball, I got a lot of socks for you @Boydesian!

(Actually, probably not. It’s not a surprise if we just tell you we’re going to do it.)

That would not be welcome.

Not even if they’re Red Socks?

(In all seriousness, no sock bombs are planned. The Red’s are my team, too, I keep asking the Sarasota BrewCo to turn to their games.)

They would have to be red “sox” though, whatever that means.

The name Red Sox, chosen by owner John I. Taylor after the 1907 season, refers to the red hose in the team uniform beginning in 1908. Sox had been previously adopted for the Chicago White Sox by newspapers needing a headline-friendly form of Stockings, as “Stockings Win!” in large type did not fit in a column.

Correct.

Update: After slogging through the longest game in World Series history last night at 18 innings (LA won), Game 4 just ended in a 9 - 6 Red Sox victory. Boston leads the Series three games to one.

Boston is one win away from its fourth ring this century, and 11th major sports championship (NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA) since 2002.

I would make an exception for Red Sox socks.