Home Videos Games Podcastle

Watcha Wearin'? (Stuff about Watches...plus the Occasional Diversion.)

HA! Stupid me didn’t RTFM! The local time is read in 12 hrs, not 24. The long indices are the 12 hour face, so it’s exactly the same as my GMT, just with an added, rotating third time zone bezel on the outside. I have therefore had to reset it, otherwise I would’ve been six hours behind all day! :crazy_face:

Or thinking time was passing twice as fast as it really was?

Hmm. :thinking:

Perhaps that would be preferable since I am at work.

Well, I have been wearing this Airman SST since this morning, and I am even more impressed. If you told me it was nearly 44mm across the case, I wouldn’t believe you. Helping it are two things:

First are the very short lugs, which keeps the size more manageable.

Second is the fact that the ends of the case are thoughtfully curved downward, and hug my wrist snuggly.

(You will have to pardon the dusty cuff of the blue work jacket I wear every day.)

It is extremely comfortable to wear, helped along further by the mesh band, which are always comfy.

It’s these little things that come with the experience of making watches for many generations that a lot of the new brands just miss!

Still wearing this. Very comfortable. I have adjusted the outer bezel for work purposes, so I am now tracking three time zones: US Eastern Standard (GMT/UTC -5), London (GMT/UTC +/-0), and Sydney (GMT/UTC +11)

Looking at the photo, we can see that it reads 2:28PM, Feb. 6th (Home), 7:28PM, Feb. 6th (London, UK), and 6:28AM, Feb. 7th (Sydney, NSW) (NOT true!!! See below!):

Looks more like :24 to me :face_with_monocle:

You are 100% correct! You win the Catch My Error Prize of the Week!!! :sunglasses: The dots between the hour markers are sometimes confusing if I look too quickly. I could have done without them. You’d think the position of the hands would be a good clue, but no. :crazy_face:

I would edit it, but that would rob your award of its context. Suffice to say, it IS x:24, not x:28.

Oh, your prize is some cold North American Air. Packed fresh on the shores of Hudson’s Bay and Lake Huron. Shipped to your door via the Jet Stream. Enjoy!

Channeling my inner Марко Рамиус today:

1960 Longines Dress Model.

Now, I don’t own any fountain pens, but I just almost finished a largish drawing entirely using another unique type of pen that I have a few of and that I’m very fond of. I hope nobody minds if I share, even though it’s technically off-topic.

Here’s the illustration I’ve been working on:
IMG_20180219_150840

The entire thing was done using a Kuretake No. 8 Brush pen (identical to the more expensive Kuretake No. 13, except it has a plastic case instead of a metal one). Like with fountain pens, there are different kinds of brush pen with a variety of features and I have preferences depending on what I want to use them for. There are two main types of brush pen. One type has nylon bristles like a paint brush and the other has a felt tip that’s like a very flexible marker tip. With the nylon bristles tips you can achieve huge variation in line weight and lots of texture and character in your lines. Just by varying pressure slightly you can go from a line that is hair-thin to a thick, bold stroke. That being said, they are very sensitive and take lots of practice. Felt tip brush pens, on the other hand, are much easier to use, but they can’t achieve nearly as much line variation and character.

Here is the Kuretake No. 8 that I used:
IMG_20180219_150132285
IMG_20180219_150922

This is probably my favourite brush pen, but it does have some drawbacks, which means that I will sometimes use other pens for certain types of work.

Positives: You can achieve really fine details, the finest of any pen I’ve used. The lines you get are also extremely reliable, as the flow of ink to the bristles is very consistent, unlike other pens I own where the bristles have a tendency to get too soaked in ink and after using them for a longer period of time it becomes impossible to make ultra fine lines. I’ve never had this problem with the Kuretake No. 8. Also, like most bristle tipped brush pens, it is intended for steady, deliberate line work, but if you move the pen really fast, you can achieve really interesting dry brush effects, because the ink can’t get to the bristles fast enough. Also, you can replace the ink cartridges when the ink runs out (some brush pens, particularly the felt tipped ones, but also some bristle tipped, aren’t refillable).

Negatives: The Kuretake No. 8 really doesn’t play well with others. The ink cartridges that you use with it are filled with water soluble ink, which means that you really can’t use any other medium with the pen or your linework will get destroyed. No watercolours, no copic markers. You could probably use coloured pencils, but that’s about it. This means that if I want to colour anything, I can’t really use my favourite pen, unfortunately.

Very nice! I have never used a brush pen. I will have to try one out.

Wearing this today:

They were developed in Japan originally for calligraphy, but are used pretty widely for illustration. They’re an improvement on traditional brush and ink, because it’s less likely that mistakes and mess will happen without dipping a big brush into an open container of ink. It also eliminates the inherent problem associated with a brush and ink, where the brush goes dry in the middle of a stroke. I do still use a brush and a bottle of ink for really large areas though, because brush pens and their ink are quite a bit more costly to replace. The Kuretake No. 13 is probably the nicest, but also the most expensive. It looks different from the No. 8 and is heavier, but like I said, their tips and inks are functionally identical. However, you can upgrade the tip of the No. 13 to sable hair (which is what expensive paint brushes are made of), but I haven’t tried it. I’ve read that the sable tip is even softer and harder to use.

Possibly the most popular brush pen, and probably the easiest to find at art stores, is the Pentel Pocket Brush (another Japanese pen).

Here is a photo of the Pentel Pocket Brush and another of it beside my Kuretake No. 8 for comparison. You can see that the body is significantly smaller.

IMG_20180220_125323836IMG_20180220_125443470

This is probably the pen I’ve used the most, particularly when I want the ink to interact with other mediums like watercolour or Copic marker. The Pentel ink is permanent and archival quality, so once it’s dry, you can do pretty much whatever you want on top of it and it will be just fine. It also won’t fade over time. The bristles on this pen are a bit larger and more robust than the Kuretake, so you can do some really strong line work. It would be the perfect brush pen, except it isn’t. You see, there is an ink flow issue. After using the pen for about 10 minutes, the bristles become oversaturated and it becomes impossible to make delicate lines. You can wipe off the excess ink to return it to normal, but it’s really annoying and potentially harmful to your work to suddenly no longer be able to make the types of lines you want to make.

Here is an example of the bold lines I’ve been able to achieve withe the Pentel Pocket Brush and another showing it effortlessly interacting with Copic markers and coloured pencils.

Human Drawn Carriage (Darker) (1024x651)
IMG_20171211_200532_968

The Copic Gasenfude (also Japanese) seems to be the best brush pen available that does what I like to do with the Pentel Pocket Brush, but without the problem of getting overloaded bristles. The ink is permanent and archival quality, so it plays well with others, and you can do some really fine detail work. The Copic Gasenfude has the potential to be my favourite brush pen, because it appears to be comparable to the Kuretake while fixing my only issue with that pen. However, it too has its own major drawbacks. It is ridiculously hard to get a hold of, which means that it’s also quite expensive, which wouldn’t be that big of a deal, except it’s also not refillable! Why would you make an expensive and rare art pen that’s not refillable?!

Edit: I hadn’t looked for the Copic in months and I’m happy to report it’s now about half the price I was seeing it for before, about $10 CAD (plus shipping) instead of $20 CAD (plus shipping). I may have to order a couple now.

I was struck by the typically crazy New England weather forecast yesterday and snapped a pic:

Sure enough, it is 74F right now! So, mark it on the calendar ladies & germs; Feb. 21 was the first shorts day of 2018 in New Hampshire. :grinning:

Light snow tomorrow. :confused:

I also wore the BBL:

Named well then, as the weather in England is a bit like that.

Yes, but at least you folks get the calm end of the Gulf Stream. We get the nor’easter end.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, good old USA does everything bigger and better than us. Except for waves apparently, I showed this picture of a wave over one of my old houses:

558139cfa0b2b9623b1318a4ed7e1f97

a fairly regular occurrence, to a Florida resident, freaked him out big time. Good job he didn’t see these:

1014680_676445205727748_1917851474_o_960_640_s

_72780809_72771313
(The last one, wall on the left, a friends garden, the waves were breaking about 20 meters past the first house on the street!)

Ha ha! :sunglasses::+1:t3:

Absolutely excellent photos by the way! I try to avoid the ocean myself. That’s why. :wink: