Home Videos Games Podcastle

Watcha Wearin'? (Stuff about Watches...plus the Occasional Diversion.)

Thank-you! I’ve been practising ever since my entries to the t-shirt competition! Unfortunately all I can see is the mistakes and shortcuts I took when I look at it, but I prefer it to the tree, which was interesting, but was made by merging the top 1000 hits on google images for the word TREE - I want to do it again sometime, see how it changed in a decade, but as something I like looking at, I got a bit bored of it - plus you’ll be able to see now all the people who nicked it for their profile pic (on other forums and sites, no-one’s done it here) as I keep getting asked if I’me someone I’m not, based on how many people use that image now!

It is an excellent watch. Your Seiko has all of the classic lines that watch nerds like me approve of and adore. The sentimental value is also wonderful. The only thing I would recommend is that you wear it more often. :grinning:

It’s day two of “Tim finally contributes to this watch thread”. Today we have my other Seiko, the Seiko SSA232 (very catchy name). This one’s an automatic, so it’s a bit fancier and also about 40 years newer than yesterday’s watch.

IMG_20180123_103949590_HDR

The back is transparent, so you can see all of the lovely mechanical bits that make this thing work forever without any electricity, as long as it gets jostled around once in a while.
IMG_20180123_104037188

I took a watch pic of the Speedy after we endured a ferocious ice storm today. Ice is a huge pain in the ass, but beautiful. The spruce tree in the background had an individual sheath of ice on every needle.

Another cool Speedmaster photo:
Apollo 12 - Alan Bean on the lunar surface. His NASA issued Speedy is plainly visible on his spacesuit’s left forearm.

Awhile back I posted a link to an old Hamilton Watch Co. film explaining how a mechanical watch worked. Here’s a modern version by Seiko detailing the workings of their 6R15 movement, as used in my SARB017 Alpinist. Because it’s an automatic, the 6R15 has the added complexity of an eccentric rotor that winds the mainspring when the wearer moves his wrist. While the film points out some Seiko specific features, all automatic movements have basically the same things installed. In any event, it’s an interesting little film that shows what miniature mechanical marvels automatic watches are.

To @timber, THIS is how your watch works. Amazing, isn’t it?

Here’s another link to a video by Manfredi Jewels in Greenwich, CT, showing a full service of the Calibre 1861 inside an Omega Broad Arrow Speedmaster (the Speedmaster Professional I have has the same movement). Where the manual movement is complex, and automatics are even more complex, chronographs are on a whole other level. And the 1861 is pretty basic; some chronographs also include automatic winders, date wheels, rattrapante, GMT hands, and/or moon phase displays as well. I admire the amazing technical skill of watchmakers immensely, and this film shows why.

Interesting note: Even though the watchmaker is obviously right handed, he wears his watch on his right wrist. Unusual.

Oh, my word. I may have found the most impressive watch channel on YouTube. It’s the Expert feed by watchfinder.co.uk, and it is superb. Chock full of practical information, trivia, technical breakdowns, and closeups of some of the most amazing horological masterpieces you will ever see. Here is their comparison of the Hesalite Speedmaster Professional (my baby) and its sapphire crystal sibling. But do check out the other entries; you won’t be disappointed. :grinning:
https://youtu.be/R21hgz-A7JY

My personal choice, obviously, is for the Hesalite over the sapphire. I’ve already scratched the hell out of mine, but a dab of toothpaste and a soft cloth have removed any faults. Having said that, should you choose otherwise, I cannot fault you.

The watchfinder.co.uk YouTube site yields yet another interesting bit of information. This is their video on the Rolex Sky Dweller; a watch that I think is the ugliest of Rolex’s offerings. But the insights provided here cause me to think: “Hey, that’s actually pretty neat!”
https://youtu.be/Cz8KQ1lqUtY

In a moment of weakness, I have purchased a watch that I’ve wanted for quite awhile. (At a considerable discount, I should add.)

It’s a Glycine Airman SST in blue with mesh band:

Oooh… Very nice!

I have wanted this watch since I first saw one about six years ago. But I balked at the (then) four-digit price. Glycine as a brand has lots of history (the original Airman of 1953 was the first GMT wristwatch, beating the Rolex GMT-Master by a year: https://www.timepiecechronicle.com/features/2017/10/18/uqeztr7g87jdmo07cc66aj4gw2bb9g). The Airman SST was the follow-on watch that evoked the seemingly near future of ubiquitous supersonic flight…then the only Supersonic airliner to ever achieve a degree of success: Concorde, was put into strictly limited service, quartz watches were developed, and everything went to hell for Swiss watch companies. Glycine soldiered on as a shrunken family-owned brand until they were sold in the late 2000s to the DKSH Group who wanted to pivot more towards the Asian market.

Problem is, Glycine has since become a sort of pale shadow of the competent, but overshadowed company it once was. Personally, I think they would’ve benefited greatly by focusing on the solid heritage of the Airman and Combat Sub models, but alas, they have recently been purchased by the dreaded Invicta Group, who have begun to slowly wreak their peculiar horrors upon the brand. The snazzy tourneau-cased SST that I bought, has been ditched in favor of models that have begun to mutate into mimics of the gaudy, oversized watches Invicta is known for. The end result is predictable: Glycine collectability is out the window (except for very early Airmen models), and those pre-Invicta watches on the market are suffering drastic price deflation. It’s all rather sad really.

Unless you want a nice watch cheaply because you want to wear it, rather than as a collectable?

True. And that is what I did. I’m pleased as punch to get one finally, but I am still saddened by the company’s fall.

Yeah… I have no right to comment… I bought this…

Ballast-Valiant-skeleton-watch-18
One of my favourite watches looks wise

Ha ha! Point well taken. My own prejudices crept in there. The nice thing about purely subjective things are that there are a myriad of questions, but no single correct answer. Everybody finds their own. :wink:

Wearing this today. I should have the Airman on Monday. We’ll see…

Ah, Christopher Ward, please make watches like this again!

They won’t. They wanted to be distinctive and succeeded. I have parted ways with them over it. I’m not the only one either.

The Airman has arrived. My initial reaction is very positive. Despite the fact it’s a bit too large (43.5mm), the tiny lugs mitigate any size issues. The mesh is very comfortable and dial is striking to look at. I am not used to 24 hour watch faces, but my GMT gives me no trouble, so I should be fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

One thing that shows up clearly in the photo that I completely forgot about is the color variance on the dial. The lower half is noticeably brighter than the top half. This denotes daytime and runs from 6:00am to 6:00pm (06:00 to 18:00). The originals denoted AM and PM by having a color variance that ran from midnight to noon. I like this better.