Home Videos Games Podcastle

Warhammer PBF

Okay, sometime tomorrow I’ll get the game thread started. We’ll keep this thread open for general discussion etc.

Anyone got any questions before then, please let me know, and don’t hesitate to ask about anything that is unclear as we go.

A few general comments before play:

If everyone can commit to checking in at least once or twice a week the game will continue to tick along nicely. When combat starts checking in a bit more regularly will help with the flow, but isn’t essential. A rhythm of posting frequency that fits the group usually forms relatively quickly.

Warhammer Fantasy is a fairly grim dark setting. I think that you are all aware of the tone of the setting, but don’t be afraid to highlight anything that you are uncomfortable with.

With dice rolling, as the reply gets assigned to System once posted, they can get a little confusing. I find a good convention is to put something for context before the dice roll command, be it the character name or what is being tested.
E.g. Else rolling…
Testing against Agility…
Else testing Agility…
Etc.

2 Likes

Where were we when we got on the barge?

Just on the outskirts of Ubersreik.

A map of the Duchy of Ubersreik. You met the barge roughly where there is a small green line just above the ‘B’ in ‘Ubersreik’. The barge is going south towards Grausse.

Spectating, bookmarked. I’ll try not to heckle on the main topic.

(By “heckle” I just mean “chime in.” I’d never actually heckle a PBF game. I try to limit myself to discussion threads and clicking the occasional “Like” when I’m just a spectator).

3 Likes

Gert’s skill test was an example of what the game calls a simple test , where the GM is just looking to assess whether the character has succeeded or failed at something.

Sometimes the GM will want to how how well the character has succeeded or failed at a test. This is referred to as a dramatic test . In these situations, the same dice roll is made, but the difference between the result and the target skill number is assessed. This is done by subtracting the tens part of the rolled result from the tens part of the skill to get the Success Level (SL) of the test.

Let’s Gert’s roll of 36 against a Sail skill of 68 as an example.
6 - 3 = +3 SL, which is a good success.

If he rolled 71 against 68, then he would got -1 SL, a marginal failure.

The GM can use the SL of a dramatic test to help decide what happens next as a result of an important roll.

2 Likes

This is, in technical terms, what might be called a lie. I’m sure Gert knows how to sail a boat, but navigation was generally left up to other people.

1 Like

Probably not an outrageous lie, but perhaps stretching things a little. Gert has Lore (Reikland), so knows something about the geography specific to the region, which would cover the riverways (and more besides).

1 Like

Oh! I had assumed the lore skill was for stories and folklore. If it’s more general knowledge then even better.

I always have a strange urge to just kill someone like Rutger or the traveller chap just to see what would happen…

Don’t worry, I won’t! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apologies, I should have explained the Lore skills better - they are knowledge skills, representing your understanding of a particualr field of study or your knowledge of a particualr region or culture.

The areas can overlap, but some are more applicable than others, and might yield alternative information. For example, to learn more about the river you travel on, Lore (Reikland) and Lore (Riverways) could be tested. A success with the former will tell you about where teh river goes, maybe some of the history and folk tales associated with it. The latter will give some of teh same, but more focused to the practical side of navigating the river and associated hazards.

Testing Lore (Reikland) could give you information about things in Ubersreik, but it would be a more difficlut test than if you had Lore (Ubersreik), representign the respective breadth and focus of the Lore areas.

1 Like

It would be a very different story. You would be on the run as murderers, pursued by either venegeful Strigany or the law, perhaps even both.

Spoilers - it would not end up well for you.

2 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hey quick question, is it known to everybody that Else is a witch hunter? Does she wear something that tells her job, is she known as one? Or is it kind of a “you’ll know it when I take you to the fire” ?

1 Like

Each Career has specific trappings necessary to conduct that particular job. Some are fairly ubiquitous, unless you dig a little deeper. Meinrad looks like a peasant, but carries a few oddities safely stashed away that are more revealing of him being a witch. From his gear and the way that Gert’s been showing his skills on the boat, it’s clear he’s a boatman.

You would at least guess Else means business. She has a breastplate, a pair of pistols and a sword, which aren’t easy to hide. I guess it is up to @Griffster77 how much she is trying to disguise what she is.

You will all know about Witch Hunters, they are not a hidden order, but whether they conduct their work openly or in the shadows is entirely dependent on the individual and/or the situation. Riding into town boldly proclaiming they are there to route out any heretics could work by putting the fear into the townspeople. It could also backfire hugely.

1 Like

I think at the moment I’m hiding the more obvious signs like the oaths and the pendants etc. I probably look more a mercenary or something

2 Likes

Not only will the waters freeze me to death, but it will also out me as a witch if I float !

1 Like

I’m off to the cinema later so probably won’t be able to answer after 6pm

2 Likes

Posting this now as it will soon be relevant…

Combat

Combat is organised into a number of rounds. A round is enough time for all characters (and NPCs) to attempt a test and to move.

Each combatant has a turn, in which they can move and perform one action

Each combatant takes their turn in Initiative characteristic order; highest Initiative goes first.

Movement should be self-explanatory – you character goes from one place to another. There are different speeds, like walking or running. As humans, you can walk about 8 yards a round, or run 16. I’m not going to use a map/grid for combat, so don’t worry about the precise distances.

In combat, your Action is used to do something. Describe what you want your Character to do, and I will tell you if you need to make a Test to succeed at your planned Action. Typically it will be something like attacking with a weapon or trying to shoot something, but it could also be trying to evade an enemy, or going on the defensive to protect yourself. Climbing typically won’t require tests unless it is particularly challenging; however, it will typically slow you down. There isn’t a set list of actions as in previous additions of WFRP, allowing for a lot more flexibility about what a character can attempt in combat.

Moving is simultaneous with you action, so you can run and hurdle a fence, or charge into combat to attack a foe.

Attacking is probably the most common combat actions, so worth going through quickly.

Step 1. Do you hit?

For melee combat, you will make an Opposed Melee test against your opponent. Both you and your opponent will roll to test your melee skill. Whoever scores the highest SL wins. If you win, you hit your enemy and gain +1 Advantage. If you lose, your opponent gains +1 Advantage and your turn ends.

(Important note. You can oppose incoming melee attacks with more than just your melee skill. Dodge is an obvious choice, but you could also argue for the use of Intimidate, Charm or Leadership – roleplay it adequately for the situation and you’ll find I will allow most things.)

For ranged combat, your foe must be in range and you simply test your ranged skill for the weapon you are using. If you are successful, you hit and gain +1 Advantage. If you fail, your action is over.

If you happen to roll a double when attacking, that can be good or bad. If you succeed at the test and hit a double, that’s a critical . Fail the test with a double, then that is a fumble. A critical causes an automatic Critical Wound. A fumble means you get to roll on the Oops! Table. A fumble that is also an even number when using blackpowder weapons represents a misfire, which is not good at all…

Step 2. Where did you hit?

If an attack roll lands a hit, you reverse the roll to find out where this strikes your foe. So a 48 to hit would land on location 84, which is the left leg.

Step 3. Determine Damage

Each weapon has a damage characteristic, which is usually your Strength Bonus for melee weapons or a fixed number for ranged weapons. You take the SL of your opposed test and add it to the weapon damage to give your total damage.

i.e. Total Damage = Weapon Damage + SL

Step 4. Apply Damage

Any armour protecting the hit location and the toughness bonus of the target get subtracted from the total damage. Any remaining damage is suffered as wounds by the target. If all the damage is soaked by armour and/or toughness bonus, an attack will still deal a minimum of 1 wound. Should wounds lost exceed the remaining wounds, then the target takes a Critical Wound. These are the nasty things like bleeding conditions, permanent damage like limb loss, and death.

That’s the basics. More as we get into the cut and thrust of combat in gameplay.

Advantage
Advantage is mentioned a few times above. It represents you momentum in combat, and is gained when you defeat and outwit your foes.
Advantage stacks as you are successful in combat. Each Advantage you secure gives you +10 to any appropriate combat test. For example 5 Advantage gives you a huge +50 bonus to hit, defend etc.

You lose Advantage if you lose an Opposed test during combat, suffer a condition or suffer any Wounds. If one of these things happens, all your accumulated Advantage is lost in one go.
Lastly, if you accrued no Advantage during your turn, you lose one Advantage at the end of the Round; being outnumbered at the ebd of the Round will also lose you 1 Advantage.

Advantage can also be used to disengage from combat.

This will also all become clear as we play!

But…but… Why would we need this? All we’ve done is fall off a boat… :yum:

2 Likes