Home Videos Games Podcastle

Twilight Imperium Night?

So I convinced 4 friends to join me for our first ever con.

Several of us are SUPER intrigued by the idea of TI.

Anyone interested in running/playing a game with the 5 of us?

I promise we’ll provide good free beer / snacks (including Vegan options!) for the night and we’ll all have read up on the rules as best as we can in advance. We just need access to the game (we’re all flying in from LA area so its a ‘little tough’ to buy and transport for the occasion) and someone who can gently correct any of our rule errors while undoubtedly pulverizing us into space dust or colonizing 1/2 the board while we pulverize each other senselessly.

Not that its saying much for a gaming con, but we’re all strategy game vets just never on this scale.

We’re flexible on timing but were thinking Fri or Sat. night.

We are likely finalizing an AirBNB nearby so we may have a place to spread out if the table is right…I’ve been eyeing them in every photo array!

Cheers!
–Bret

3 Likes

I might know someone who could be interested in that. He’s a huge TI fan and would be a perfect teacher for you all. I’ll see if he has any interest in running a game with you all.

Hey Bret!

I’d be more than willing to join you and your friends and teach this game for you all. My preference is to stay at/near the con but other than that I’m keen!

That is awesome! THANKS for the offer!

Turns out I’m not sure if our whole group will be up for it (some want to play as many different things as possible) and they may want the table space at the house…TBD

We also may have another TI connection found so it’s possible you could have a co-shepherd :+1: for 2-3 of us. And again we’d try our best to read up in advance (maybe even pre select races to make it easier to be aware of our own and others abilities) so the teach would be more a refresher and an ever present reminder to not skip steps on turns etc.

A few questions re: logistics

—For 5-6 players plan on ~6-7hrs ? Plus 30min for setup?
—So maybe start in the late afternoon of it doesn’t kill anyone’s panel plans or right after the con? I’m always fine playing til 1 or 2 AM but don’t want to run the risk of tired players at the final climax making ‘end it now’ plays etc.
—re: convention hours, are there spaces at the con we can play til late or would we need to find an offsite home base?

Sooo looking forward to this!

Well there’s lots of time left between now and SHUX so lots of time to figure out what you’re all doing. Keep me posted! :slight_smile:

For your questions:

Time length - Hard to say. It really depends on how quickly you and your friends play games and pick rules up. TI games can absolutely stretch that long. I’ve also played multiple games in 3-4 hours (with players who knew how to play). If you’re all experienced gamers, book 6 hours.

Convention Hours - I think the hall closes at midnight? I remember reading that somewhere. The hotel bar at the place I stayed last year was totally happy having gamers in there and that always works. Regardless, ya I’d say a late afternoon start would be a good idea for all the reasons you list.

I don’t know if the midnight hours are hard and fast rules. Pretty sure people were playing later as well but you should probably plan to wrap up around that time if possible. Pretty sure I didn’t leave until 1am once or twice during the weekend

Awesome! Glad I hear the space is avail early late.

My group tends to play with a ‘calculated gut’ Approach that stays this side of AP while allowing time & space & Grace for the occasional critical-braching-path level decisions but generally encouraging quick play.

Although we also revel in table talk and diplomacy discussions and alliance building (and breaking) so that may cancel out the alternate time savings on routine plays?!

Man I’m so stoked for this play.

That sounds like the perfect group for a first play of TI4.

I’ll pay attention to this thread (or DM me) and let me know how things go :slight_smile:

If this game ends up needing another player feel free to message me - I may not end up playing ti4 during the convention to get a bunch of other games played, but ti is my favourite game so I can be swayed.

OK so minor update:

Looks like my group has had a change of heart after seeing the panels and exploring the potential game Library. Most would rather leave their days wide open to attend those and play more new and various games than devote hrs to one epic.

So it’s down to me and (possibly/probably one more) that said I’d love to fill a table and get this planned. Upside is this means less teaching—just occasional procedure reminders probably.

So who would be in for something beginning Friday after lunch—say meet at 1 be setup and running by 1:45. Thinking that sets us up for a good run to either finish before a late dinner or to take a short dinner break before the final climactic turns.

Thoughts?

I’m not particularly interested in any events in that time window so I’d still be in.

For my money, best case scenarios are:

1. A group of people who all know how to play
  2. Nobody knows how to play (including 6 players and I just teach the whole game). In the case of 5 players and myself, I’ve come up a with a few handicaps to make the game more interesting for everybody else.

Having a few players who know lots and a few who are new tends towards…predictable results.

That’s super generous. I guess we can see how the table shakes out with interest here but I feel like you should play.

Personally I’ve been doing my TI4 homework and feel like I’d be comfortable with the big strategy elements even with exp. players and I’m 100% not expecting to win but will have fun exploring and acclimating to the TI universe!

What might further smooth out the play for me would be having pre-selected 6 races we’ll play so I’d have more familiarity going in re: asymmetric advantages etc.

Eh. My main goal in agreeing to this in the first place was to hang out with people for a while. SHUX is awesome for that and this seemed like a great way to get to know people a little more than a quick game of this or that.

And my second goal is finding a way for people to actually feel like they’re doing well in a game and not just getting smoked. I know that it’s expected and usually most people consider it “fine”, but I’d rather people had a chance. Besides, beating a bunch of people who don’t know how to play isn’t exactly a big feel-good moment :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hello @Celene @Westmontman
I’m coming to SHUX (first-time con attendee) from NZ, and I won’t know anyone. I’m keen to line up a few longer games beforehand and am definitely up for a game of TI. I have some experience (I’ve played TI4 4 times, and TI3 a similar amount) and would be happy to help new players.

Unfortunately I’ve signed up for the Sickle megagame on Friday evening, so I can’t do Friday. I don’t know how easy it would be to just chance into a game of TI being a solo attendee, so if your timings change, and you have space for another player at your table at some other time during the con, please get in touch.

1 Like

Wait wait wait. Did you say NZ?!

I’m a newly minted, proud NZ permanent resident myself (though currently marooned back in our native LA for my wife’s work/school opportunities but hoping to return full time in a few years and work on citizenship!)

So yea, I think I can shuffle the timing around. Especially if you agree to perform a Haka before any battle for Mecatol Rex! :crazy_face:

Anyway, would Saturday same timing window work for you @Celene ?

Congrats on your PR for NZ @Westmontman!

Full disclosure: I’m an expat British Indian, now residing in NZ. Any rendition of a Haka I could make would be more likely to offend rather than intimidate!

Saturday works better for me - the opportunity cost for that timing is easily worth a game of TI4.

Hey @Celene, @westmontman,
Been lurking for a while and saw there might be space for a new TI player? I’m open for Friday or Sat and I’m pretty comfortable playing with experience players if it comes to that. I’m a solo player too so hopefully I can fit in.

I hear lurking is a good strategy in TI4. I’m down with this group mix if you’ll do a bit of homework to keep the teach manageable @Tegit

So if I’ve got a handle on the situation we’ve got a full table now if Sat afternoon start time works for all?

Including:

1. Myself
  2. My buddy (not on forum and not 100% confirmed yet because he decided to fly to Africa for a Missions/Service Trip before confirming with me)
  3. @BrownSugarKnight
  4. @Tegit
  5. @Celene
  6. Bryant (from previous connection via @lubomirvaic)

So excited!

And again, if anyone does decide they’d rather just teach and observe and hangout that’s cool too, I don’t get the sense it’ll be TOO hard to find some backups to jump in.

1 Like

Sounds awesome, Saturday works.

I’ve got plenty of time to read up the rules and watch a playthrough or two before hand so hopefully I don’t crash too hard.

2 Likes

I started here (and watched it twice…once on .75 speed) but yeah it’s a pretty solid run through: